Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off of ORG: If I'm Walt at the meetings

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Off of ORG: If I'm Walt at the meetings

If I'm Walt at The Meetings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My preferences all revolve around getting one of the reportedly available studs for LF. Provided that happens, I am fine going with Janish and Cozart at SS.

1. Trade 1 of Volquez/Bailey/Leake/Wood and any 2 OFs in the organization other than Bruce, Stubbs, and Y-Rod to the Diamondbacks for Justin Upton.

Arizona is reportedly listening to offers on Upton. They need to retool their organization. They would need an infusion of talent, and no one has more ML-ready high upside arms than the Reds. Would be the inverse of the Hamilton-Volquez or Garza-Young trades. Would give the Reds the best defensive and offensive OF in the NL. The $50MM owed to Upton over the next five years might be an issue given the Reds current demographics.

2. Trade Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey and Juan Francisco to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp.

Dodgers have reportedly soured on Kemp's attitude and are looking to replace Loney at 1B. Perfect fit for Alonso. Like Upton, Kemp immediately gives the Reds best defensive, and possibly offensive, OF in the NL. Would likely walk after 2011.

3. Trade Juan Francisco and Chris Valaika to the Marlins for Dan Uggla.

Marlins are actively shopping Uggla after he rejected their extension offer. He is from TN/KY and might like to come home. Only question would be if he is comfortable moving to LF. Would fit into the cleanup slot nicely between Votto and Bruce. Doubtful the Reds would want to spend $12MM per year on him after 2011.

4. Trade Francisco Cordero, Chris Valaika and Chris Heisey or Juan Francisco to the Mets for Carlos Beltran.

Mets are open to moving him, and he is open to being moved (although he has a no-trade) both from the Mets and out of CF. Reports had Mets discussing swap of bad contracts with Cubs/Zambrano. With K-Rod's demise, Mets could use a closer and could get younger in the OF. Would likely walk in the offseason.

These moves would be mutually exclusive, as Upton, Kemp, Uggla or Beltran would immediately become the Reds LF. Kemp (26), Uggla (29), and Beltran (33) are all signed through 2011. Upton (23) is signed and owed approximately $50MM through 2015. If the Reds acquired any of these three, they would be fine to go into the year with a tandem of Janish and Cozart at SS. In fact, they would still be (in my opinion) the favorites to repeat as NL Central champs.

Wildcard Move

5. Reds trade Mike Leake, Travis Wood, and Chris Heisey for Zach Greinke.

Royals get two young studs that will fit better from a timeframe perspective with their young prospects Hosmer, Moustakas, and Myers. Plus they get an OF to replace David DeJesus. Reds get a young, affordable ace to headline their rotation: Greinke, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey/Chapman

Thoughts? - Benihana
    I will post my thoughts in a second.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Off of ORG: If I'm Walt at the meetings

1. I'd rather have Arizona's Chris Young than Justin Upton. He comes cheaper. He has played CF. He finished second on the team with 27 HR's and first with 28 SB's. Has a .340 OBP. Wouldn't take nearly as much to get him.

2. I don't want Matt Kemp. Only if the Dodgers just want to unload him for nothing.

3. Not really interested in Uggla, but I could see the Reds trading BP with one decent prospect for him. Marlins would be finished with BP after next season. Reds gain a power hitting second baseman to fit into the middle of the batting order. I seriously doubt any team wants to move Uggla to LF.

4. This is the trade I would make, but only if the Mets sent some $$$ back to help cover Beltran's $18.5M salary. We unload Cordero's $12.5M, and the Mets get a closer to replace K-Rod. They probably would want Heisey too. No problem if they send the cash to offset the salary disparity. I would take a chance on Beltran. He's had 2 injured years, but he will be in a contract season, like Beltre was with the BoSox this year. I could see good things happening.

5. I hate this trade. Greinke was very mediocre this past year. I'm not giving up Wood and Leake for him. No way. I think KC will want a goldmine for Greinke, and I think the team that gives it to them will be sorry. I'd give them some top prospects and that's it, but I'd expect Soria to be thrown into the deal. Hehehe.

Most of those are plausible, except #5. No way I trade Wood and Leake. Thats way too much to give up for any one player.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Isn't it wonderful to dream. Now the cold hard truth, the Reds will not be making any major deals this offseason. They are going to go with Gomes in LF and Walt will either resign Orlando for cheaps or they will check out the FA pool at SS and see whom they can get. Any monies we have will be spent on present Reds with contract extentions and arbitration cases. But it is nice to dream....

I only like trade #4 to be honest.

Cordero on the block...
    Chapman to close next year?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Dude wants to gut our entire minor league system. None of those trades would work anyway. KC will likely want more than that for Greinke, believe it or not. It would take more than that to get J Upton. Even if the Dodgers bit on that Kemp deal, which I doubt they would, we only control him until 2011 and I am not wild about bringing bad attitudes into the clubhouse. Uggla is a moot point now, but FLA got a much better package for him in Infante and Dunn anyway. Mets would probably take that package for Beltran, but that contract would hang on our necks like an albatross and Beltran is going to be injury-riddled the rest of his career. Me no want.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Yeah, I don't really like any of these trades. In dealing prospects I don't feel like the Reds would get as much as they're giving and I don't think any of these trades would put the Reds over the top.

"We've been talking to clubs and looking for a potential leadoff hitter, and maybe someone to improve our bench," said Jocketty. "There's not a great deal to do, but we're talking a lot. Generally, we talk to clubs before we come down and follow up here with discussions. We, hopefully, finish what we start [here] at the Winter Meetings. I don't know if we'll find a [leadoff hitter] or not."

Walt should consider of talking to Derek Jeter. They do need a shortstop and his leadership would help the team a lot!

As you know, the Reds let Pete walk in 1978 when he was Mr.Red. I am a die hard Reds fan, but also am a Yankees fan. I am scared to death that Cashman takes Jeter for granted and some other team will give Jeter a sweeter deal. If so, why not the Reds?

Coco & Phillips need to be moved, that frees up 23 million

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    Walt should consider of talking to Derek Jeter. They do need a shortstop and his leadership would help the team a lot!

As you know, the Reds let Pete walk in 1978 when he was Mr.Red. I am a die hard Reds fan, but also am a Yankees fan. I am scared to death that Cashman takes Jeter for granted and some other team will give Jeter a sweeter deal. If so, why not the Reds?
    A) Jeter is old and horrible
    B) Jeter won't play for anyone but the Yankees
    C) Why would you pay him 20 million per season?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Coco & Phillips need to be moved, that frees up 23 million
    No one will take CoCo and why would you deal phillips?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    A) Jeter is old and horrible
    B) Jeter won't play for anyone but the Yankees
    C) Why would you pay him 20 million per season?
    A.I would gladly take old and horrible if a guy has 5 rings and knows how to play baseball!

B.In 1978 the Reds let Pete walk, didn't they! The same mighr happen with Jeter.

C. Who says it would take 20 million a year to get him? He is 36 and that will hurt his next contract where ever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    A.I would gladly take old and horrible if a guy has 5 rings and knows how to play baseball!

B.In 1978 the Reds let Pete walk, didn't they! The same mighr happen with Jeter.

C. Who says it would take 20 million a year to get him? He is 36 and that will hurt his next contract where ever he goes.

A) Who cares how many rings he has, if that is the basis lets go get Roger Clemens to pitch, I mean he has rings. He is a horrible fielding and not a very good hitting player anymore, why spend 20 million on that?

B) The Reds let Pete walk because ownership didn't believe in paying aging players big money, the Yankees can and do.

C) Simple that is the money level the Yankees are already saying they will pay him.

Turn Off Ads?