Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardenhire wins AL, Bud Black edges Dusty by 1 vote for NL Mgr of the Year

Gardenhire wins AL, Bud Black edges Dusty by 1 vote for NL Mgr of the Year

That's a shame - I think Baker deserved it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gardenhire wins AL, Bud Black edges Dusty by 1 vote for NL Mgr of the Year

Mods, you can close mine out. Chip & I hit it at the exact same time.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Kieth Law could be a person to wag the finger at regarding this...

Per Kieth Law's twitter:

Correct. Can't slag arms and make my ballot. RT @DanielRathman: Is it also safe to assume that Dusty Baker did not make your NL MoY ballot?

Not sure how Dusty did any more "arm slagging" than Bud Black did, considering that Black used the entire back end of his bullpen like 7 games in a row to close out the season...
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Kieth Law could be a person to wag the finger at regarding this...

Per Kieth Law's twitter:

Correct. Can't slag arms and make my ballot. RT @DanielRathman: Is it also safe to assume that Dusty Baker did not make your NL MoY ballot?

Not sure how Dusty did any more "arm slagging" than Bud Black did, considering that Black used the entire back end of his bullpen like 7 games in a row to close out the season...
    Keith Law is a lazy "journalist".

It's pathetic honestly that the guy gets paid to write about this sport. There are over 50 people on this site alone that know more about baseball than him.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Black did more with less than any manager in baseball. Kudos to him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Darn, was really hoping Dusty would get it.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I was unaware of this till just now...but the Reds lead MLB in total WAR (batters) from their team this year.

So yeah, I will agree Black did more with less...but what does that mean exactly.

They both did enough to deserve it, IMO. Hard to be upset. I wanted it for Dusty, but Black was every bit as deserving.

Here's hoping that leading a team to the playoffs trumps all else in another award coming up!
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I was unaware of this till just now...but the Reds lead MLB in total WAR (batters) from their team this year.

So yeah, I will agree Black did more with less...but what does that mean exactly.
    A $36M payroll, and only one true All-Star. That's a lot less. He also played in a tougher division.

Still, Dusty has to be happy with a second place Manager of the Year vote, considering he was probably the first manager to be fired on many people's pre-season list.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Congrats on a successful season Dusty.

I like Bud Black as a manager, but let's be honest; there are a lot of people out there who vote on awards such as this who do not like Dusty. I would even say that many writers are predisposed to denigrate his accomplishments without consciously realizing why they're doing it.

No conpiracy theory, no real whining, just a realistic look at the situation. I think it's a really big deal that Dusty came as close as he did. Congratulations.

Baker, Bochy or Black.

I'd have been OK with any one of these three winning the award.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Baker, Bochy or Black.

I'd have been OK with any one of these three winning the award.
    Really surprised at how few votes Bochy got. It's not like the Gisnts on paper were that much better than the Padres.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    A $36M payroll, and only one true All-Star. That's a lot less. He also played in a tougher division.

Still, Dusty has to be happy with a second place Manager of the Year vote, considering he was probably the first manager to be fired on many people's pre-season list.
    No, I think Jerry Manuel was higher on the "to be fired" list than Dusty

Turn Off Ads?