Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 19 year old cousin riding a motorcycle

19 year old cousin riding a motorcycle

19 years old and riding a 'rice burner' style motorcycle... I think it is about the stupidest most foolhardy thing a kid can do... (motorcycles are dangerous enough in the hands of an experienced rider, much less a teenager...)

Anyway, his parents are going through a divorce and his dad let him get it so his mother (my aunt) pretty much has to either go along or get frozen out of his life...

anyone else ride when they were young or ride now? If you've been riding long, I'm sure you've got some of your own 'close call' stories (or worse).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: 19 year old cousin riding a motorcycle

Most young riders get into trouble because they get waaaaaaaaaaay to much bike as their first ride. A 19 year old kid riding on a big CC crotch rocket is a recipe for disaster.

Make sure he wears a helmet. Won't keep him from laying it down, but it might save his life.

Depends on the type of person he is really. I knew a guy (not very well) that got a bike at a young age and he was pretty reckless. He'd been riding for 5 or 6 years and then I heard from some friends that he was in an accident an died. He was the type of person that you just knew in the back of your mind it was going to happen at some point.

On the other hand I have family members that have ridden for 30+ years and have never been in any sort of accident. I just think it's the person more than anything.

As my wife says, tell him to make sure he has his organ donor card filled out and noted on his license.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Most young riders get into trouble because they get waaaaaaaaaaay to much bike as their first ride. A 19 year old kid riding on a big CC crotch rocket is a recipe for disaster.

Make sure he wears a helmet. Won't keep him from laying it down, but it might save his life.
    This. A thousand times this.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

Not just young riders...I've seen some adults with way more bike than they can handle too. Excellent point though.

Absolutely make sure he wears a helmet. A jacket with approved armor would be great too but a lot of people don't like wearing them. A helmet at miminum.

I sold my last motorcycle in the spring of 2004. My first child had been born the previous fall, and it had been parked over the winter. One of my first days out that spring I had two close calls (not one, but two, in the same afternoon) due to careless drivers, and all I could think about was the baby back at home, and how I was risking his father's life. Before I got home, I decided that that would be the last day I would ride it, and it was. I put it up for sale that night. No regrets. It was one of these:

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

My mother's first nursing job (in 1982) was working third shift in the ER at the hospital in Findlay, Ohio. Every time she saw a motorcycle accident victim, she would come home and tell me (I was a pre-teen) about it in descriptive detail.

I have never, ever, ever, ever ridden on a motorcycle, not even as a passenger.

Thinning the herd.

Way back in the day (like waaay back), I had a Honda 305. After riding it for a few months, an old lady pulled up smack dab in front of me. My choice was lay the bike or and hit her. Laid it down, left lots of skin on the road, and broke my ankle. Cracked my helmet on the curb too.

That was the last time I rode a motorcycle.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 11-18-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Pay attention to the open sky

I had a Yamaha 175 enduro as a senior in high school, buying it with money I had made working in a grocery store (brand new motorcycle plus helmet for $750---but this was in 1973). Anyway, a few months after I bought it I came around a blind curve on a secondary road, in my lane, only to find a station wagon, going the other way, also in my lane. I slammed on the brakes, we hit head on, and I flew over the bike and landed, head first, on the hood of her car. If we had been going faster I would have gone through the windshield and would probably have been killed, but I instead rolled off of the hood unhurt (couldn't say the same about the bike though). If I had not been wearing a helmet I most certainly would have been severely hurt if not killed.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This thread just scares me. I used to ride dirt bikes and have been on the road just a few times, but most of my knowledge of motorcycle safety came while I was an EMT, and none of it was good. Of all the accidents I responded to, maybe one or two involved mature adults. The rest were young men.

At the very least, your young cousin should go through some training. Some friends have gone through ABATE training, and they say it's been worth every second.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    At the very least, your young cousin should go through some training. Some friends have gone through ABATE training, and they say it's been worth every second.
    It's a great course even for seasoned riders. Highly recommend it.

Turn Off Ads?