Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Webb

Brandon Webb

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...ndon-webb.html

Jerry Crasnick says that four teams (Dodgers Pirates Twins Rangers) are interested in Brandon Webb but that he wouldn't rule out the Reds. Tim Dierkes also mentions Webb's hometown of Ashland, KY, as an advantage for the Reds.

Given his great track record with Bryan Price, it makes sense in some ways but the Reds would certainly have to trade two of (Wood, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Leake) to seriously consider signing Webb in my opinion.

While Webb has certainly shown the ability to be the top of the rotation guy the team needs, he is coming off major surgery and hasn't pitched at that level in several years.

So what do you think armchair GM's?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Brandon Webb

Why trade anybody? I thought his contract was up, and Arizona declined the option on him. Isn't he a free agent?

According to this list http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...ee-agents.html, Webb is a free agent.

I agree, I don't see why a trade is required.

I don't break the bank for him, but if you can get him at a reasonable price then sign him and see what happens. Options are a good thing.

The only down sides I see are that it could retard one of the young quys who loses a spot to him, and if you decide he's your guy and you're counting on him he's probably got a bigger risk of injury.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I agree, I don't see why a trade is required.

I don't break the bank for him, but if you can get him at a reasonable price then sign him and see what happens. Options are a good thing.

The only down sides I see are that it could retard one of the young quys who loses a spot to him, and if you decide he's your guy and you're counting on him he's probably got a bigger risk of injury.
    Give him a reasonable base salary with a ton of incentives, such as 180 IP, 10 or 12 wins, e.r.a. under 3.50, Cy Young, All-Star team, etc.,..........if he reaches them, the Reds make the postseason again. If he doesn't, you've lost nothing while loading up on starting pitching. If he has regained his past form, it gives you that much more trade leverage with all the young pitchers. And maybe next trade deadline we're able to make that trade for an "ace".

Think about it. If Webb returns to form, which was pretty much "ace" form. Then you trade for another "ace", such as Sir Felix near the deadline, and then factor in all the other pitchers, although a few might be traded in that deal, but still......Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, Wood, Leake...........we'd really have it going. And I'd make Webb's deal come with a club option for '12 in case we hit the jackpot.

I don't think they were suggesting a trade for him. Just a trade of a couple players to make room for him in the rotation.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    I don't think they were suggesting a trade for him. Just a trade of a couple players to make room for him in the rotation.
    +1

Pass. He hasn't pitched in the majors in almost two full seasons and the reports from his rehab haven't been particularly encouraging. I could see offering him a minor league deal with a spring training invitation but otherwise can't see him being a good addition.

Brandon wants to pitch for the Reds. The million dollar question is do the Reds want him?

No thanks, let the young guys continue to develop. This would only hinder that.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    No thanks, let the young guys continue to develop. This would only hinder that.
    How would having a former Cy Young winner on staff hinder the development of the young guys?

Webb right now is a great buy-low candidate. Jocketty didn't mind grabbing a few of those in his days on the other side of the Mississippi.

If he is willing to come in on a minor league deal for fair money and see what he can do in ST and say a month or so at AAA, what's the downside?

Yeah, the Cards get him, Duncan shapes him back into form and we're facing Wainwright, Carpenter, Garcia, Webb, and Westbrook.

Bye bye NL Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Yeah, the Cards get him, Duncan shapes him back into form and we're facing Wainwright, Carpenter, Garcia, Webb, and Westbrook.

Bye bye NL Central.
    Agree. If he would come here to show what he's managed to recover, what's the harm. He could very possibly go elsewhere, and be used to beat the Reds severely about the head. However, if all the young guys keep developing, what do you do? The staff is already crowded, I'm thinking at least one has got to go. Who? Do you trade Nolan Ryan and keep Gary Gentry? Or, do you get it right and do the reverse. I see some tough decisions ahead requiring a crystal ball. This current pitching situation and how it's managed, could well give us all fodder for the next 30 years, coulda' shoulda', what if.........

Turn Off Ads?