Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanks FO disses the Reds in Jeter negotiations

Yanks FO disses the Reds in Jeter negotiations

"Tell him the deal is three years at $15 million a year, take it or leave it," the person taking the hard-line approach said. "Wait him out and he'll wind up taking it. Where's he gonna go, Cincinnati?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5819502

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yanks FO disses the Reds in Jeter negotiations

^ Like those small-fry chumps in Cincinnati could afford him.

I guess this club is the epitome of small market.

I hope we just hold that card and play it when the Yanks wanna trade with us someday.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

We can't all have $400 million payrolls.

$15M is nothing to them.

Go ahead, Yankees........buy another postseason run.

$15 million is even way to much. I think he is worth maybe $8-$10 for 2 years (and that's prol too much and assuming he will bounce back from last years numbers), but that is you are team not named the Yankees.

Wouldn't it be great though if Jeter just decided to say [edit] the Yankees and did sign with Cincy. It would be a full circle thing. We passed on Jeter to take Chad Mottola back in the day. Let's make up for that mistake - but of course not at $15 M a year.

Could Derek's Post Season experience, get us over the hump?
    Last edited by macro; 11-18-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Masked Profanity

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Wouldn't it be great though if Jeter just decided to say [edit] the Yankees and did sign with Cincy. It would be a full circle thing. We passed on Jeter to take Chad Mottola back in the day. Let's make up for that mistake - but of course not at $15 M a year.

Could Derek's Post Season experience, get us over the hump?
    What having an aging SS with no range or bat last season was not enough for you

I don't take the comments as a slight against the Reds, or even the city of Cincinnati, but rather as an astute observation about the lack of options facing Jeter.

From a purely baseball perspective, Jeter could certainly find another job but I don't think there is any other team that would be willing to match even lowball offer from the Yankees. He obviously has a lot of intangible value for the Yankee organization but the fact of the matter is that he is a 36 year old SS with limited range and he is coming off of his worst statistical season ever.

Completely aside from the baseball aspect, I just can't see a guy like Jeter ever leaving the NYC spotlight for a backwater town like Cincinnati (or for that matter any city outside of LA or Miami). He's the king of New York and has a well known penchant for dating A-list models and actresses, can you honestly imagine him packing up shop and relocating? I have my doubts.

On a related note, the ongoing contract negotiations between Jeter and the Yankees is so fascinating because both sides realize that the other party needs them just as much as they need the other party. The only real drama is to see which side caves.

I'm not offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    What having an aging SS with no range or bat last season was not enough for you
    You doubt'in on Derek Jeter? Do you watch baseball? That boy came in on a WS victory and he'll go out on one. Maybe Chad Motolla could carry his jock...oops too heavy! :

Watch out Yankees.

No team has ever won a World Series with a 37-year old (or older) starting shortstop.

FWIW, On Mike and Mike this morning they asked Buster Olney who Jeter would look at if the Yankees fell through. The first team mentioned was the Reds and needing a SS.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Let those morons overpay for that dude....unless some of the uglier, poorer or less-recognizable players on the team are taking his sloppy seconds, he'd be the most overpaid infielder in baseball at that price.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Let those morons overpay for that dude....unless some of the uglier, poorer or less-recognizable players on the team are taking his sloppy seconds, he'd be the most overpaid infielder in baseball at that price.
    Jeter to Reds aint happen in my life time.

I think it would be interesting if Jeter became a Red. But I doubt it would happen.

Turn Off Ads?