Survivor of war loses dog to random violence
    Beloved pet's killing reopens old wounds for former Navy SEAL
    By DANE SCHILLER
    Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    April 9, 2009, 3:15PM
    1 2
    photo
    David Hopper For the Chronicle

Marcus Luttrell, shown at a book signing, said the attack on his dog pushed him into a place he didn’t want to be in.

All it took was the gunshot fired outside his Walker County home to trigger training ingrained in former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell, the lone survivor of a dramatic battle in Afghanistan in 2005.

He did a sweep through the house. Checked on his mother. And bolted out the door, where he found dead his beloved Labrador retriever, Dasy, a dog given to him to help him recover from his own wounds and the loss of his fellow Navy comrades.

“I could tell she tried to get away because there was a blood trail,” Luttrell recalled in a phone interview Wednesday. “When I saw she was dead, the only thing that popped into my head was, ‘I’ve got to take these guys out.’ ”

Shrouded in darkness, Luttrell, who’d just been released from the hospital after another round of surgery, crawled under a fence, skirted a ditch and sneaked up on four strangers in a sedan who apparently killed the dog on a whim. Luttrell said they were oblivious as he raised a 9 mm pistol from about 25 yards away and had one of them dead to rights.

But as the car pulled away, he didn’t fire.

Instead, he scrambled back to his pickup and launched what became a wild 40-mile chase that reached speeds of over 100 mph and crossed three counties.

“I did everything right; I didn’t do anything wrong,” he told the Houston Chronicle of the April 1 incident. “Make sure everyone knows they cold-bloodily murdered.”

Luttrell stayed on the line with a 911 emergency operator as he tried to catch the car, which was just a bit too fast for his four-door truck to overtake.

“I told them, ‘You need to get somebody out here because if I catch them I’m going to kill them,’ ” Luttrell recalled telling the operator.

Wounds still deep

The nighttime killing of a such a special dog played right into Luttrell’s deep wounds.

The 4-year-old yellow Lab was given to him upon his return from the war to help him heal. He named it Dasy as an acronym for his SEAL team members lost in a mighty fight in which they were isolated and far outnumbered by Taliban fighters.

He wrote a book, The Lone Survivor, about the experience.

Luttrell said he still wrestles with what he went through. He doesn’t sleep at night, usually keeping his guard up until sunrise, just in case.

“I don’t talk about it much. I just don’t sleep at night,” he said. “I am in and out of the house all night, going, moving around.”

Luttrell and the men he was chasing were finally stopped by Onalaska Police Department.

Luttrell said he confronted the men. “I was like, ‘Which one of you guys killed my dog?’ ” he said. “They started talking smack.”

The police sent Luttrell home, and the Texas Rangers have been working with the Walker County Sheriff’s Department.

So far, two men have been charged with felonies that could land them in state jail for at least six months.

Michael John Edmonds II, 21, and Alfonzo Hernandez, 24, both of New Waverly, are charged with cruelty to nonlivestock animals. The driver of the vehicle was arrested on suspicion of not having a license.

Other dog killings linked

There are at least five area dog killings in recent months that could be linked to the case, said Texas Ranger Steven Jeter.

“It could have been worse for both parties involved,” he said. “I wouldn’t advocate to the general public to do what he has done — to follow them at that rate of speed.”

“Marcus is trained to do certain things; he fell back on his training,” Jeter said.

Luttrell said he’s left town for now and wants to stay as far away as he can. Talking from a place he described as “the middle of nowhere,” Luttrell said he knows the attack on Dasy pushed him to a place where he doesn’t want to be.

“I was trying to talk myself out of being who I am,” he said. “Talking to myself about not doing the one thing I am good at.”
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6365427.html

Most likely these guys have been riding around killing dogs for a month. I've listened to the 911 tape and Marcus sounds as calm as if he was out on a leisurely Sunday drive, even though he was doin' between 100-110.

I listened to an interview with Marcus last week and he did not sound as if he's taking this very well. He said that before he left town he found out where one of the guy's lives and was on his way over there "to take care of it." He said he came to his senses a couple minutes into the drive and decided he needed to get as far away from the situation as possible. He's now camping in the desert.

I'm glad he didn't do anything stupid.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 04-14-2009 at 04:56 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Navy SEAL's Dog Shot and Killed

That makes me sick.

I'm glad that he didn't do anything as well, for his future alone. The dog lover inside of me, however, wishes he had executed all 4 of them.

What scumbags. Ugh.

If someone did that to my dog I would certainly want to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    That makes me sick.

I'm glad that he didn't do anything as well, for his future alone. The dog lover inside of me, however, wishes he had executed all 4 of them.

What scumbags. Ugh.

If someone did that to my dog I would certainly want to kill them.
    I'm right there with ya. I've read that this type of animal cruelty can be a sign of violent crimes to humans in the future. It certainly takes a disturbed individual to do that sort of thing.

This on top of what Luttrell has already been through, talk about pushing someone to their snapping point.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 04-14-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Yea its a shame. Glen Beck has this on his show the other day. The dog looked so cute. I have a thing for lab puppies and they kept showing him/her over and over.

If you ever want a good patriotic read The Lone Survivor is a great read. Luttrell is the perfect example of someone I would want serving this country.

People that kill animals are disgusting. My first pet cat was shot dead by a kid seeking a thrill; in hindsight my Grandpa (also a former Special Ops man) was way kinder to the kid than I would have been!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea its a shame. Glen Beck has this on his show the other day. The dog looked so cute. I have a thing for lab puppies and they kept showing him/her over and over.

If you ever want a good patriotic read The Lone Survivor is a great read. Luttrell is the perfect example of someone I would want serving this country.
    I agree. This book may be the most powerful I have ever read. I re-read numerous sections because they were not only riveting but inspiring as well. Sent a copy to my best friend. He agreed.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I agree. This book may be the most powerful I have ever read. I re-read numerous sections because they were not only riveting but inspiring as well. Sent a copy to my best friend. He agreed.
    Yeah. He's still in pretty bad shape. Apparently some of the stuff that was done to him when the Taliban had him wasn't put in the book and he doesn't want people to know about it. All I know is that I've heard people who do have knowledge of all of what happened describe it simply as unspeakable.

This doesn't have anything to do with his dog, but I didn't really want to start a new thread.

Marcus recently posted a picture of the terrain for Operation Redwing. For those of you that have read the book and always tried to imagine what the battle field looked like, here you go:

That's worse than I had imagined.

Turn Off Ads?