Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth Baseball Glove Question

Youth Baseball Glove Question

My eight soon to be nine year old son needs a new baseball glove. It would make a good Christmas gift. I admit to being a bit ignorant to the process. He has been using my old Wilson Ballhawk from when I was a kid. All the kids in my family used that glove, and it will be handed down to my youngest this year. They don't make them like that anymore.

What brands and models do you guys suggest? I am thinking he needs a 12in glove.

I kind of like the looks of these.
    http://www.eastonbaseball.com/the-eq...-12y-2981.html
    http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...w.aspx?p=12637
    http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...w.aspx?p=10840
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Youth Baseball Glove Question

My oldest son got his first real nice glove just before he turned 11. I got him a Rawlings Heart of the Hide model and its been great so far. It took awhile to break in, but once it was broken in, its feels so durable it seems as thought it will last forever.

I also have a 7 year old. He's still on the "under $100" glove path until he gets a little older. I bought him an Easton model similar to the first one you linked to. Its a nice glove, for the price and for his age. It doesn't really compare to the Rawlings my older son has, but it is a nice glove.

I'm partial to different brands, mainly because the ones I'm partial to are the ones that I've used and felt confident with. I've owned Rawlings and Nokona fielders gloves and love the quality of both. As far as catchers mitts go, I've always owned a Mizuno model. It's really just a preference thing, especially with a younger child like you have. I choose not to spend a lot of money on gloves for my kids before they are at least 10 because I'm not 100% confident they won't lose them.

I will say that a 12" glove seems pretty large for a 8/9 yr old, unless he is strictly an OFer, and at that age, he shouldn't be. Here is a link to some information for you to review.

http://www.justballgloves.com/glove.care.aspx?c=4
    Last edited by Red Leader; 11-21-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    My oldest son got his first real nice glove just before he turned 11. I got him a Rawlings Heart of the Hide model and its been great so far. It took awhile to break in, but once it was broken in, its feels so durable it seems as thought it will last forever.

I also have a 7 year old. He's still on the "under $100" glove path until he gets a little older. I bought him an Easton model similar to the first one you linked to. Its a nice glove, for the price and for his age. It doesn't really compare to the Rawlings my older son has, but it is a nice glove.

I'm partial to different brands, mainly because the ones I'm partial to are the ones that I've used and felt confident with. I've owned Rawlings and Nokona fielders gloves and love the quality of both. As far as catchers mitts go, I've always owned a Mizuno model. It's really just a preference thing, especially with a younger child like you have. I choose not to spend a lot of money on gloves for my kids before they are at least 10 because I'm not 100% confident they won't lose them.

I will say that a 12" glove seems pretty large for a 8/9 yr old, unless he is strictly an OFer, and at that age, he shouldn't be. Here is a link to some information for you to review.

http://www.justballgloves.com/glove.care.aspx?c=4
    Thanks this is the kind of information I am looking for. He plays all over right now. So what would you suggest 11 or 11.5"? He has tried a few on but he seems to think bigger is better. I want to do what is best for him and his development.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I think an 11 is pretty versatile for that age. Personally, my Dad bought me used gloves until I was 16 and they worked out just fine.

As I got older I got a couple different gloves. I got my first Nokona when I was a Jr. and loved it. I swore by Nokona through high school and college. I still have two of them and they are in great shape, so my son will nicer hand me downs than I had.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I agree with Razor. An 11" glove is probably pretty versatile. If he primarily plays on the infield, it might be slightly bigger than the optimal glove size, but if he's in the outfield or plays pitcher or 1B, it'd be probably ideal. Since he doesn't have a defined position yet, an 11" glove probably covers everything nicely.

I've always wanted my kids to have a smaller glove for their age, but not too small. Having a smaller glove helps 1) the player get in a better defensive position, 2) "feel" the ball when they catch or field, 3) find the ball quicker when its in the glove, and 4) be able to move it around without it being really bulky. I really think it helps kids overcome the fear of the ball as well. If you have a huge glove, you can just stick your glove out and hope it falls in...kind of turning your head to the side as you catch. Kids do that a lot at a young age. If you have a smaller glove, you have to look the ball in, or you won't catch it. It might be a little frustrating for him at first, if he's used to bigger gloves, but it will pay off in the long run.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

^I agree with all of that.

I would add that the best glove you could get him is a plywood cut out slightly larger than his hand with a velcro strap stapled to the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    ^I agree with all of that.

I would add that the best glove you could get him is a plywood cut out slightly larger than his hand with a velcro strap stapled to the back.
    Is that the Edwin Encarnacion model?

Thanks that info is helpful. This year he probably needed a bigger glove, but I kept him in the smaller glove for the above reasons. Next year he will be playing kid pitch, this year was coach pitch. Used gloves on ebay scare me, and by the time you pay shipping the cost is nearly the same for something that is new.

I've never bought a glove on eBay, for similar reasons.

The site I linked to above (www.justgloves.com/) is a good site. I've bought some gloves from there and they are reasonably priced. You can also go to Dick's or Play It Again Sports or any other sporting goods store near you. I like to have the kids try the gloves on in person before ordering, just to make sure they like it. I picked one out one time that I really liked and took my then 5 yr old to try it on. He hated it. If the kid hates it, he won't play well with it. Stupid, I know, but its the truth.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Nike and Mizuno both make pretty durable youth gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Is that the Edwin Encarnacion model?

Thanks that info is helpful. This year he probably needed a bigger glove, but I kept him in the smaller glove for the above reasons. Next year he will be playing kid pitch, this year was coach pitch. Used gloves on ebay scare me, and by the time you pay shipping the cost is nearly the same for something that is new.
    I wasn't kidding about the plywood cutout. Get one or make one. Have him field soft grounders with it, every single kid that plays baseball should spend some time practicing with one. I lived with one on during high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I wasn't kidding about the plywood cutout. Get one or make one. Have him field soft grounders with it, every single kid that plays baseball should spend some time practicing with one. I lived with one on during high school.
    I second that. Both of my kids have one. It does wonders for hand-eye coordination, feel, and positioning.

Obviously we're not saying that this should be his only glove...but I couldn't agree more that it is an excellent training tool. You can definitely tell which kids have worked with them and which ones have not.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

13. Likes:

Razor Shines (06-07-2015)

A couple years ago, when I was 12, I bough a Rawlings Renegade. That's their HS line, but I have small hands, and it's worked great.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I would get him a gift certificate to a sporting goods store and let him pick out the glove with your help. It is very important that he is comfortable and confident with the feel of the glove.

I would steer him away from a larger glove. Young players need to learn to depend on hand/eye coordination more than relying on the glove.

Btw, the plywood glove is a good plan, but I have had excellent success with bare hands. I start off with rubber balls or tennis balls. The fielder must keep his eyes on the ball and develop the necessary give to keep the ball from bouncing away. This works wonders for helping to develop soft hands.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    My eight soon to be nine year old son needs a new baseball glove. It would make a good Christmas gift. I admit to being a bit ignorant to the process. He has been using my old Wilson Ballhawk from when I was a kid. All the kids in my family used that glove, and it will be handed down to my youngest this year. They don't make them like that anymore.

What brands and models do you guys suggest? I am thinking he needs a 12in glove.

I kind of like the looks of these.
    http://www.eastonbaseball.com/the-eq...-12y-2981.html
    http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...w.aspx?p=12637
    http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...w.aspx?p=10840
    My son is 10 and loves the new easton glove we just purchased him off of www.basebalbargains.com , they have a great selection of gloves.

A bump from 2010!

Turn Off Ads?