Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Stock Watch: Arthur Rhodes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Free Agent Stock Watch: Arthur Rhodes

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...ur-rhodes.html
    Two years ago the Reds took a gamble on 39-year-old lefty Arthur Rhodes, signing him a two-year, $4MM deal. Last we read, interest was mutual on a new contract. Still, let's examine Rhodes' free agent stock.

Re: Free Agent Stock Watch: Arthur Rhodes

it all boils down to how his plantar fasciitis is doing

I think the Reds got a steal when they signed Rhoades to that contract 2 years ago. I think this is the point where you have to cash in your chips and walk away and be happy with what Rhoades gave you. I think expecting a performance anything near what you received the past 2 years is bad decision making.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I think the Reds got a steal when they signed Rhoades to that contract 2 years ago. I think this is the point where you have to cash in your chips and walk away and be happy with what Rhoades gave you. I think expecting a performance anything near what you received the past 2 years is bad decision making.
    If his foot is ok I think Rhodes is still a good LH option out of the pen. I'd rather have a healthy Rhodes on the mound vs a healthy Bray.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If his foot is ok I think Rhodes is still a good LH option out of the pen. I'd rather have a healthy Rhodes on the mound vs a healthy Bray.
    And even though I like Bray I tend to agree with this. Before his injury last season Arthur was dominant. I see no good reason not to expect him to at least be the best LH option night in and night out.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

We'll find out today if the Reds offer arbitration to Rhodes and/or Cabrera.

I think it would be best not to offer either one 'em arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    We'll find out today if the Reds offer arbitration to Rhodes and/or Cabrera.

I think it would be best not to offer either one 'em arbitration.
    Would Rhodes bring ant draft picks if we offered and he turned us down?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I tend to agree with this.

The thing is I don't see another club signing Rhodes if it cost them his salary plus two draft picks.
    A team that's getting compensated for losing a type A (like Philly, with Werth, or Texas, with Lee) wouldn't have a problem signing a type A. Those teams are more interested in winning than in collecting draft picks. Or, a team whose first rounder is protected may not lose sleep over sacrificing a 2nd rounder.

If Rhodes leaves, I think he'll get a deal, even if a pick is attached.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    A team that's getting compensated for losing a type A (like Philly, with Werth, or Texas, with Lee) wouldn't have a problem signing a type A. Those teams are more interested in winning than in collecting draft picks. Or, a team whose first rounder is protected may not lose sleep over sacrificing a 2nd rounder.

If Rhodes leaves, I think he'll get a deal, even if a pick is attached.
    I care a lot less about the draft picks than I do about the price tag an arbitrator will place on Arthur Rhodes. I'd hate to drastically over pay Rhodes in 2011.

If Walt can sign him at a fair price I honestly believe it would be better than going to arbitration.

Left-hander Arthur Rhodes could re-sign with the Reds near Tuesday night's deadline for teams to offer arbitration to their free agents, or shortly thereafter.
    From Rosenthal via FoxSports, article has some other nuggets of info regarding Greinke, Upton and Reynolds among others.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/K...on-deal-112210

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    From Rosenthal via FoxSports, article has some other nuggets of info regarding Greinke, Upton and Reynolds among others.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/K...on-deal-112210
    I know this is the wrong thread, but that link was the first time I have seen that the Reds are interested in Upton. I wonder what Jocketty has offered so far.

It has been reported that the Reds don't want to offer him arbitration and are hoping to re-sign him this week.

you absolutely cannot offer Rhodes arbitration. He's take it in a heartbeat. And he'd win too. That amount could be anywhere from 3 to 5 times what the Reds should offer him, based on age, health, and past performance. I don't think he can replicate 2010's numbers, but he could be very effective. Just not $8mil worth of effective. Rhodes' agent KNOWS his best deal likely comes from Cincinnati and he's hoping for a dumb move like arbitration.

I don't think Jocketty is that dumb.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    you absolutely cannot offer Rhodes arbitration. He's take it in a heartbeat. And he'd win too. .
    Totally agree. In today's marketplace, a club has to be VERY careful to which pending FAs they offer arb too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?