Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your 2011 Dream Team?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Your 2011 Dream Team?

What is yours? Let's try to keep it fairly realistic, we aren't gonna get Pujols to play LF.

Jason Bartlett SS
    Stubbs CF
    Votto 1B
    Beltran LF
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Cozart 2B
    Hanigan/Ramon (I'd rather see Mes than Ramon here but that has already been decided for us).

Hanny C
    Janish MIF
    Cairo IF/UT
    Heisey OF (preferably an improved Heisey)
    Matt Joyce OF

Greinke
    Cueto
    Wood
    Leake
    Chapman/Volquez/Bailey (a competition with whoever is left after Greinke deal)

Cordero (ok just don't see any realistic way this is gonna change in '11)
    Masset
    Rhodes
    Burton
    Bray
    Ondrusek
    LeCure
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your 2011 Dream Team?

CF Drew Stubbs
    2B Brandon Phillips
    1B Joey Votto
    LF Grady Sizemore
    RF Jay Bruce
    3B Scott Rolen
    CA Ryan Hannigan
    SS Zach Cozart

IF Paul Janish
    IF Reid Brignac
    OF Johnny Gomes
    OF Matt Joyce
    CA Ramon Hernandez

Bronson Arroyo
    Jonny Cueto
    Travis Wood
    Edinson Volquez
    Homer Bailey
    Logan Ondruzek
    Bill Bray
    Jose Arredondo
    Arthur Rhodes
    Nick Masset
    Aroldis Chapman

That's 24 - the 25th spot comes down to a 6th guy on the bench (Todd Frazier) or a 7th guy in the pen (Sam LeCure)

* Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey, Mike Leake and Jordan Smith to the Tribe for Grady Sizemore
    * Francisco Cordero (plus cash), Felix Perez and Matt Maloney to the Rays for Matt Joyce and Reid Brignac

I might skip deal two, add Cozart and another piece to the deal and see if I could swing Sizemore and Azdrubal Cabrerra from the tribe
    Last edited by corkedbat; 11-23-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Good call on Arredondo I forgot about him. Personally I'd keep he (if healthy) and Burton and send LeCure or Ondrusek down. But I assume Burton isn't in the plans (I still don't get why he got the shaft).
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Matt Joyce is an interesting target, but I doubt the Rays let him loose (He is a Ray right?)

Most of the position players are set, so that leaves SS and LF.

SS - JJ Hardy/Janish

LF - Dorn/Heisey All Danny Dorn does is hit. It's a perfect platoon.

SP's Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Chapman, Wood/Bailey/Leake

RP's CoCo, Arredondo, Massett, Bray, LeCure, Ondrusek and one of the guys that didn't get the 5th starters spot.

I'd deal Arroyo and one of Wood/Bailey/Leake for Greinke, trading from depth for a high end starter making a league change. I'd throw in half Arroyo's salary for 2011 to do it too. (Arroyo would thrive in the AL central. big park in DET and KC, plus all those caverns in the AL West and only facing a few of the AL East beasts.)
    Suck it up cupcake.

Trade Leake, Alonso, Heisey, + 1-2 of Fraizer/Francisco/Joseph/Boxberger. All of them (except Box) are ML-ready. Sign Webb to a minor league deal as rotational depth.

LF Upton
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    CF Stubbs
    C Hernanigan
    SS Janish/Cozart

SP Arroyo
    SP Cueto
    SP Volquez
    SP Wood
    SP Bailey/Chapman/Webb

is a World Series-caliber team. And I also wish the Reds would offer Rhodes arbitration. I only want him on a one year deal, or get a draft pick. Anything else is unsatisfactory.
    Go BLUE!!!

Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Karl Malone, Chris Mullin, Clyde Drexler, Scottie Pippin, John Stockton and Magic Johnson.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Karl Malone, Chris Mullin, Clyde Drexler, Scottie Pippin, John Stockton and Magic Johnson.
    I'm fairly certain Barkley ate at least three of those guys last week.
    Suck it up cupcake.

My team:

SS Jose Reyes
    CF Drew Stubbs
    1B Joey Votto
    LF Manny Ramirez
    RF Jay Bruce
    2B Brandon Phillips
    3B Scott Rolen/ Alex Gordon
    C Ryan Hanigan/ Ramon Hernandez

Starters
    Homer Bailey
    Edison Volquez
    Johnny Cueto
    Bronson Arroyo
    Travis Wood

Bullpen
    Francisco Rodriguez (Co-C)
    Aroldis Chapman (Co-C)
    Jose Arrendondo (SU)
    Nick Masset (SU)
    Bill Bray (LOOGY)
    Dontrelle Willis (LOOGY)
    Logan Ondrusek (MR)

Bench
    Johnny Gomes
    Chris Heisey
    Alex Gordon
    Paul Janish
    Hernandez
    Moves
    1. Trade Yonder Alonso, Zach Cozart, Mike Leake, and Francisco Cordero to New York for Francisco Rodriguez and Jose Reyes (plus cash).
    2. Trade Matt Maloney and Sam LeCure for Alex Gordon.
    3. Sign Manny Ramirez, banking on one more huge offensive season. (And get it.)

Comments:
    Everyone aside from Manny can field well. There are no weak sister offensive bats on the infield and each of the possible problem areas or injury concerns have multiple answers either on the squad or in AAA.

Reyes fills the leadoff conundrum and offers a major upgrade at the position even if he only hits like last season. (Janish becomes his defensive caddy, especially late in games, with the hopes that Gregorius or Hamilton can speed through the system and be ready in a couple seasons.)

Manny is the question mark. I love his possible upside and, even if he struggles compared to past seasons, he'd still be better than the LF duo of last season. His glove, while nothing special, would play okay next to Stubbs, though his concentration lapses may lead Rolen to kill him halfway through the season. If Manny struggles, the combination of Gomes, Heisey, and Gordon can give the Reds enough pop to perhaps be just as good as last season, perhaps a bit more.

Gordon is my most-wanted player. As a former phenom, he may be overrated, but I think he simply needs a change of scenery, and I'm a sucker for that swing. He'd play when Rolen is iffy (50 games at third base-- at least), LF when Manny isn't feeling it (25 games or so), and RF and 1B when Bruce and Votto need a blow (another 30 games between them). That's about 115 games, not counting PH appearances or possible long-term injuries. In other words, it's enough ABs to make him a happy camper despite not having a set position.

FRod becomes the new closer, as the Mets and Reds deal closers. He has that huge appearances bonus, so I'd limit innings by having him be co-closer with Chapman. Sure, he may kvetch, but, if he does, he can be cut. He's a better bet than Cordero as closer and could bounce into a pretty solid season (though he'd never perform well enough to trip that monster clause and earn his salary).
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Reyes is Furcal redux. so much potential, so much talent, so much time on the DL. he's a high risk/high reward guy. For his career's sake, he needs to move to 2B.

JMO.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I had that one coming I guess, uh huh yeah.

--Woody Hayes

Dude, I don't think any of those guys made it above AAA. Your team would get smoked.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

1B - Votto
    2B - Phillips
    3B - Rolen
    SS - Hardy
    LF - Upton
    CF - Stubbs
    RF - Bruce
    C - Hanigan

IF - Valaika
    IF - Cairo
    3B - Francisco
    OF - Nix
    C - Hernandez

Making the assumption Maloney, Janish, Heisey and Gomes were moved for Hardy.

Leake, Alonso, Cozart and 1 or 2 more C type prospects moved for Upton.

Nix was resigned for his Plus D at all 3 spots and above average bench bat.
    Francisco was kept as a caddie to Rolen and gets one full year in reserve the way Heisey did.

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Wood
    Bailey

Ondrusek
    Bray
    Burton
    Arredondo
    Chapman
    Masset
    Cordero

Fine starting staff, solid 1-7 in the pen with guys like LeCure, Klinker, Lehr, Smith, Horst, Herrera, Fisher in AAA who are all serviceable pitchers. Keeping Cozart, Frazier, Sappelt, Valaika, Negron all in AAA as injury call ups.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    What is yours? Let's try to keep it fairly realistic, we aren't gonna get Pujols to play LF.

Jason Bartlett SS
    Stubbs CF
    Votto 1B
    Beltran LF
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Cozart 2B
    Hanigan/Ramon (I'd rather see Mes than Ramon here but that has already been decided for us).

Hanny C
    Janish MIF
    Cairo IF/UT
    Heisey OF (preferably an improved Heisey)
    Matt Joyce OF

Greinke
    Cueto
    Wood
    Leake
    Chapman/Volquez/Bailey (a competition with whoever is left after Greinke deal)

Cordero (ok just don't see any realistic way this is gonna change in '11)
    Masset
    Rhodes
    Arredondo
    Bray
    Ondrusek
    LeCure
    I guess I should have added "the how".

Reds get: Bartlett & Joyce
    Rays get: Alonso, Francisco & Burton

Reds get: Greinke
    Royals get: Volquez/Bailey, Boxberger & Sappelt

Reds get: Beltran & 2.5 Million
    Mets get: Phillips, Maloney & Gomes

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I guess I should have added "the how".

Reds get: Bartlett & Joyce
    Rays get: Alonso, Francisco & Burton

Reds get: Greinke
    Royals get: Volquez/Bailey, Boxberger & Sappelt

Reds get: Beltran & 2.5 Million
    Mets get: Phillips, Maloney & Gomes
    I would think it would take substantially more than that to get Greinke. I also wouldn't trade Phillips for Beltran. If we're not sending Coco the other way, I'd rather just sign Magglio or Vlad.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would think it would take substantially more than that to get Greinke. I also wouldn't trade Phillips for Beltran. If we're not sending Coco the other way, I'd rather just sign Magglio or Vlad.
    Your probably right on Greinke after coming back and looking at it I think a bat with some power would have to go along with it. Send them Francisco and a lesser guy to TB perhaps Felix Perez would do it.

I think it's time to shed some dollars ourselves beyond 2011 and IMO Phillips is likely at the highest value he will ever be, I.E. the easiest high dollars to shed. I also thought I saw a subtle drop in his range.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 11-26-2010 at 08:07 PM.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?