Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The #1 guy the Reds should target this off season is?

The #1 guy the Reds should target this off season is?

Jacoby Ellsbury of the Red Sox.

The team and player have a strained relationship and the Sox would to restock the roster according to MLTR. So id pony up a decent package for him. Hes only 27 and he isnt a free agent until after 2014.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The #1 guy the Reds should target this off season is?

Id be on board with this.

-Matt

Recovering Cubs Fan

I don't know, he really only had the one great year where his high OBP was average-driven. He really seems like another Juan Pierre to me. I'd rather have Figgins.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

My wish list:

1. I'd love to pry Choo from Cleveland. Stick him LF or CF and make him the leadoff guy.
    2. I'd love to swap big contracts with the Mets. Either Cordero for Beltran and Ca$h from the Mets, or some other big contract swap for Beltran. Beltran is going to be in a contract year and we all saw what Beltre (Red Sox) did last season to rebuild his career. Beltran is only 32 right now. Stick him behind Votto. Beltran is a switch hitter, I believe.
    3. Or swap Cordero and Phillips for Beltran and Reyes and prospects. All 4 main players are in the last year of their contracts. Basically a change of scenery/positions of need trade, where the Mets pick up some future prospects too.

If I could obtain Beltran AND Choo, I would. I'd keep Stubbs for the season after and as insurance if Beltran got hurt. Make Stubbs an occasional starter, pinch runner, and late inning defensive substitute. When Beltran has a big year and we can't afford him the next season, Stubbs goes back as the CF starter. And hopefully Bruce or someone else emerges as Beltran's replacement in the batting order.

My Wish List

1. Choo
    2. Jose Reyes
    3. Jacoby Ellsbury

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    My Wish List

1. Choo
    2. Jose Reyes
    3. Jacoby Ellsbury
    Yeah, I meant to add Ellsbury to the list. Either he or Choo would be fine for leadoff.

Well my list is simple.

Sign Free Agent Left Fielder Carl Crawford to a 5 year 90 Million Dollar Deal.

This solves the Left Field Defense Problem. This solves the Lead Off Hitter Problem which will trickle down all the way through the Line Up. More people on Base for Votto, Rolen, Phillips, Bruce to drive in...

I know everyone will say the team cannot afford him. Well with Cabrera & Harang coming off the Books, and even with the raises going to Bruce & Company... This team needs to sign Crawford, and then Trade Cordero to whoever needs a closer who will take the Salary.

The team got playoff revenues and should Invest that money along with Harangs salary into Carl Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    I don't know, he really only had the one great year where his high OBP was average-driven. He really seems like another Juan Pierre to me. I'd rather have Figgins.
    I don't really get all the interest in Ellsbury either. The guy became a name because he had a good Sept/Oct in 2007 and hit .438 in the WS.

Outside of stealing bases I don't see much. He does not have much power, does not walk much, his OBP is not real great. Everybody kills Gomes, but his OPS this year was .012 lower than Ellsbury's career high.

If the Reds can get him for dirt cheap I have no issues with it, but I certainly do not see enough to warrant trading top prospects for him.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I don't really get all the interest in Ellsbury either. The guy became a name because he had a good Sept/Oct in 2007 and hit .438 in the WS.

Outside of stealing bases I don't see much. He does not have much power, does not walk much, his OBP is not real great. Everybody kills Gomes, but his OPS this year was .012 lower than Ellsbury's career high.

If the Reds can get him for dirt cheap I have no issues with it, but I certainly do not see enough to warrant trading top prospects for him.
    Ellsbury is an above average defensive CF. Those are rare. Those that can OPS close to what Gomes can, are rarer.

Defense included, Ellsbury is about a league average CF, Gomes is tick above a replacement level LF.

Ellsbury also fits a Reds need of a leadoff hitter. He can OBP around .350, and steal bases. He's no Rickey Henderson, or even a Carl Crawford, but he is a big upgrade over Gomes and whoever the Reds would leadoff next season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Just for the record, Juan Pierre, in his prime would be a solid option for the Reds in LF. His problems was that he was way overpaid, not that he wasn't any good. He was at least a league average LF during his best years.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Just for the record, Juan Pierre, in his prime would be a solid option for the Reds in LF. His problems was that he was way overpaid, not that he wasn't any good. He was at least a league average LF during his best years.
    This team just needs to take the savings from Harangs Salary and Cabrera's Salary and the Revenue from the Playoffs into Carl Crawford and Give him a 5 Year Contract for $90 Million. This team has control of Joey Votto for 3 more years and Jay Bruce for 3 more years so by the time the Reds are in the 4th year for Crawfords Contract, Arroyo will be off the Books and Hernandez will be off the Books so the Reds can give Joey a LTC at that time...

Carl Crawford is left handed hitting and the Lead Off Hitter this team needs and will probably be a 25 Homerun Lead Off Hitter in GAB

If this team wants to Improve. Sign Crawford. Don't give me the Payroll debate. Aaron Harangs Salary is no more and even with Payroll Raises for Votto, Bruce, etc... This team can work Carl Crawford and $15 Million into the 2011 Season Payroll... Give him a Bonus and back load it.

The Reds aren't going to sign Crawford. Or Werth, for that matter.

as sweet is may be to have the reds offer 5/90 to crawford, the yanks, sox, angels or who ever just will increase the bid somemore.

the reds best chance to get a decent upgrade is through trade. we can find a platoon in FA maybe a diamond in the ruff but we just aint signing a bonafide perrennial allstar.

Jose Guillen

He could get our whole team jacked up on HGH and even Janish could hit 30 HR's. Hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Ellsbury is an above average defensive CF. Those are rare. Those that can OPS close to what Gomes can, are rarer.

Defense included, Ellsbury is about a league average CF, Gomes is tick above a replacement level LF.

Ellsbury also fits a Reds need of a leadoff hitter. He can OBP around .350, and steal bases. He's no Rickey Henderson, or even a Carl Crawford, but he is a big upgrade over Gomes and whoever the Reds would leadoff next season.
    If the Reds did not currently have an above average CF you would make a valid point. The problem is they do and you have to look at Ellsbury as a LF, not a CF.

As a LF, Ellsbury is not a whole lot better than what the Reds have. As a leadoff hitter his best full season was pretty much Brandon Phillips this year so again I don't see much of an upgrade other than SBs.

I am not saying I don't like him. I am not saying I would not want him. What I am saying is I would not trade away a top prospect, much less multiple top prospects as some people have proposed for a guy that does not improve the team all that much.

Turn Off Ads?