Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junior Arias

7 9.72%
  • Tucker Barnhart

0 0%
  • Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • Daniel Corcino

0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

2 2.78%
  • Danny Dorn

0 0%
  • Juan Duran

10 13.89%
  • Mariekson Gregorius

0 0%
  • Jordan Hotchkiss

0 0%
  • Jacob Johnson

1 1.39%
  • Matt Klinker

1 1.39%
  • Ryan LaMarre

28 38.89%
  • Sam Lecure

7 9.72%
  • Kris Negron

2 2.78%
  • Felix Perez

1 1.39%
  • Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

4 5.56%
  • Daryl Thompson

1 1.39%
  • Ronald Torreyes

8 11.11%
  • Kyle Waldrop

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman, LHP
    Prospect #2 - Devin Mesoraco, C
    Prospect #3 - Yorman Rodriguez, CF
    Prospect #4 - Yonder Alonso, 1B
    Prospect #5 - Billy Hamilton, SS
    Prospect #6 - Yasmani Grandal, C
    Prospect #7 - Todd Frazier, IF/OF
    Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco, 3B
    Prospect #9 - Zack Cozart, SS
    Prospect #10 - David Sappelt, CF
    Prospect #11 - Donnie Joseph, LHP
    Prospect #12 - Ismael Guillon, LHP
    Prospect #13 - Brad Boxberger, RHP
    Prospect #14 - Chris Valaika, IF
    Prospect #15 - Kyle Lotzkar, RHP

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

I just wanted my man Jacob Johnson to have his fifteen minutes among the leaders. Besides, I'm torn on everybody else (mostly, LaMarre, Torreyes and Correa). Actually, Johnson is my top guy at the moment, but after this one I might give it a rest until he has more of a fighting chance.

I just dont get the Lamarre love, he seems like a 4th ofer/defensive replacement type more than likely with a ceiling of being a good to slightly above average OFer for a few years.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

In the minority here, but still not giving up on Soto. Also think where he would be if the catching experiment continues.

I voted Torreyes. Strongly considered Duran, Arias and Correa - all high-upside and intriguing prospects.

Went with Torreyes because I've always loved guys who can handle a bat. He might be small and look like an 'eighth-grader,' but you can't ignore a guy who struck out only 19 times in 349 at-bats.

I look forward to seeing what the 18-year-old can do during a full season at Dayton. I hope he starts there in April.

Great depth to the poll this year.

I voted LeCure. The guy is going to have a major league career. At this point, there are few if any guys with big time up side and LeCure has a pretty darn high floor compared to most.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I voted Kris Negron. Defensively, he appears to be behind Cozart, but he has a decent OBP, can steal a base, and has a little pop. I think he is a legitimate candidate for 2B in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Soup View Post
    I voted Torreyes. Strongly considered Duran, Arias and Correa - all high-upside and intriguing prospects.

Went with Torreyes because I've always loved guys who can handle a bat. He might be small and look like an 'eighth-grader,' but you can't ignore a guy who struck out only 19 times in 349 at-bats.

I look forward to seeing what the 18-year-old can do during a full season at Dayton. I hope he starts there in April.

Great depth to the poll this year.
    Didn't vote for Torreyes, but I'm with you on all of this. Some guys simply have a gift for hitting, whether or not it involves 400-footers. It's obviously too early to say that Torreyes fits that bill, but he certainly hinted at it last year. I fuzzily recall some ridiculous stat early in Rafael Palmeiro's career, when he came up with the Cubs. He had swung and missed something like one time in 200 at-bats. I'm sure those aren't the numbers, but that was the spirit of it. And I remember thinking, dang, this guy could be something else. Of course, he later had the aid of some artificial assistance, but you get the point. Torreyes will indeed be fun to follow next year. At least, we hope.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    I just dont get the Lamarre love, he seems like a 4th ofer/defensive replacement type more than likely with a ceiling of being a good to slightly above average OFer for a few years.
    Easy choice. Has shown more at a higher level than anyone else left on the board who hasn't made the majors (other than Dorn who profiles as a platoon player). Had a great college career at a major program. Plays great defense.

I don't think we know enough to say he'll be a 4th OF at this juncture. There's a chance he could start in CF and although he doesn't have a lot of raw power, he's got very good gap power. A CFer who plays great defense with very good gap power has all sorts of value.

Lots if really high upside guys with questions left. Too, some low ceiling, high floor guys. Since my philosophy on prospects lends itself toward the high-ceiling guys (more trade value, not to mention the possibility of monster years either in the minors or majors), I'm torn between:

Ronald Torreyes
    What You Like: His hit tool, his production across three levels, his speed, his pop (46 EXB in 400 ABs), his glove at 2B (no E's in 26 games with really good range perephials)
    What You Question: The level at which it was performed, the air in which it was performed, the scouting ignorance (i.e., coming out of nowhere with little in the way of reports beforeand, especially from Baseball America and its cohorts)

Junior Arias
    What You Like: The scouting reports love his bat and body, his production was solid (though he K's an awful lot), his possible middle infield glove, his pedigree
    What You Question: Where's he going to play? SS doesn't seem possible- if not, he's going to really have to hit to play 3B or OF

Juan Duran
    What You Like: The scouting reports love his bat and body, his possible plus glove in RF, his pedigree
    What You Question: He's been here for two years and struggled for most of that (though he did play well in spurts last season), his height

Tucker Barnhart
    What You Like: Position, pedigree, and to a lesser extent) production, his ability to take a walk
    What You Question: He did it in Montana and only for 35 games-- that's a long way to go for a catcher with a slight body

Jonathan Correa
    What You Like: Really, really nice numbers since he signed, K rates especially, his stuff (reportedly)
    What You Question: He's small and struggled at Billings in extemely limited innings

Sam LeCure
    What You Like: Major league performance, minor league consistency, his aggressiveness
    What You Question: Stuff (all of it), if he's even off a little, he's a human batting tee

Ryan LaMarre
    What You Like: Speed, pedigree, limited production at a fairly high level, tools
    What You Question: While his hand injury may have hampered his numbers, it's not like LaMarre has shown monster power. With his upside being a league average or slightly better starter, it seems as if he's underwhelming to put this high.

Its Torreyes/Arias time for me, w/ Torreyes getting the slight nod (and vote). I should probably have LeCure in this time frame as he's already in the majors w/ a chance to stick in long relief/spot starting, but I like the potential in those 2 better.

Which leads to the question, is a bird in hand worth two in the bush leagues?

I'm planning on voting for Juan Duran now, followed by Junior Arias, and then Jonathan Correa and Daniel Corcino after that. Both of those guys have good stuff and have drawn comparisons to Johnny Cueto and are deserving of being in the top 20, IMO.

Ryan Lamarre is one of those guys that you have to see to appreciate. If you saw any Dayton games, he was one of the few who stuck out on the field. He moves well, has a quick enough bat, good arm, and ran the bases well. I like him, and you are talking about a player that isn't a bunch of ifs and whens.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    There is alot of value in a guy who is seen as someone who has a better than average shot at just making the major leagues. LaMarre seems like the type you can see that happening with fairly easily. He just has no glaring weaknesses that would seem to prevent it. And at this juncture in the voting he is going against mostly youngsters a good portion of which will never see the show, we just don't know which guys that will be.

Besides if you have a favorite give us a scouting report and maybe you can change some minds. That is part of why we do this because very few of us have legitimate info on any of these guys this far down the list. To me the numbers they put up are mostly meaningless without a scouting report to go with it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think it speaks well that the guys who have seen LaMarre are the ones who seem to like him best. I haven't seen him, but what I like about him is that he has been independently praised for three distinct things: his tools, his aptitude and his makeup. To me, he sounds like a Heisey-type with maybe a little more natural ability.

Turn Off Ads?