Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Networking Problem

Networking Problem

For approximately the last month I've been having a problem with my home networking where I'm losing the internet connections on the other computers in my home. The main computer, where the router and cable modem are connected, never loses the internet just the other computers in the network.

I have high-speed cable modem internet thru Charter. I have a Linksys N series router and a Linksys cable modem. Both less then 2 yrs old. Besides my main computer I have 4 other computers (2 desktops, 2 laptops) in my network. It's become a daily occurrence where one or more of the computers will lose the internet connection. Yet once I reboot the modem/router everything works fine. Then the next day I'm doing it all over again.

I don't know if the problem is with my modem, the router, or both. I'm assuming that since I constantly have to reboot the modem and router, that the primary problem may be with the modem. Is it going bad? Or is it simply a setting problem?

I'm no expert in this area, but I will give as much info as I can, as far as my router settings go, when I go into Basic Setup....

Automatic Configuration -DHCP
    MTU (Auto) Size: 1500

In Wireless...

Network Mode: Mixed
    Channel: 6

I thought I was using WPA Personal, but my Security mode is disabled, so I'm assuming I'm using neither WPA or WEP. I live out in the country, so I don't really face the problem of someone hacking my network.

I'd appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Networking Problem

Wifi frequencies are shared with things besides computers and access points. First thing I would suspect would be some wireless device, like a microwave oven, a cordless phone or a wireless video distribution system, causing interference that's closer to the other computers than the access point but too far away to affect the main computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Wifi frequencies are shared with things besides computers and access points. First thing I would suspect would be some wireless device, like a microwave oven, a cordless phone or a wireless video distribution system, causing interference that's closer to the other computers than the access point but too far away to affect the main computer.
    I seem to have similar problems with my wifi network when my iphone or macbook are connected at the same time as my pc laptop.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I definately agree with this. Interference is a very common problem. You can try changing the broadcast channel. The biggest culprit is usually cordless phones or even your neighbor's router. The other issue I seem to run into is the router itself, especially if it is always on. I've gone through a router every one-two years. If resetting your router helps the problem, try setting up a timer to turn it off for an hour or so at night. Ours is set up to turn off from 4 AM to 5 AM and it has significantly improved performance. Just a couple suggestions.

Interesting. We don't have any land line, as far as phone goes. We all have cell phones.

What do you mean by a "wireless video distribution system" Una? My oldest boy has an XBox360 and a PS3 with built in wireless adapters; but he too encounters the same problem of losing internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I definately agree with this. Interference is a very common problem. You can try changing the broadcast channel. The biggest culprit is usually cordless phones or even your neighbor's router
    I'm going to change the broadcast channel and see if that helps. There is also a firmware upgrade for the router available that I need to do.

On occasion, the neighbor's network does show up in "available networks". Would going to WEP stop this?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm going to change the broadcast channel and see if that helps. There is also a firmware upgrade for the router available that I need to do.

On occasion, the neighbor's network does show up in "available networks". Would going to WEP stop this?
    Changing the encryption type to WEP won't affect any interference issues. Honestly from your description you may want to try using a timer to turn off the device for about an hour every day. It fixed similar problems for me. Routers tend to wear down if left on for days at a time. Letting them cool down can do a lot to help with performance.

What do you mean by a "wireless video distribution system" Una? My oldest boy has an XBox360 and a PS3 with built in wireless adapters; but he too encounters the same problem of losing internet connection.
    Streaming video off the internet wirelessly from Netflix, Amazon, etc etc.

There are a lot of bits flying through the air when that happens.

Pay attention to the open sky

Here's an example of what I mean: http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technolog...ies/B00009UHXR

Those are unusual, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case you had one that was turned on once in a while. A baby monitor with a built-in camera would probably create the same issue.

The reason those are incompatible with wifi is that they have a signal that "sprays" its way across a wide spectrum of frequencies that spans multiple wifi channels. It's messy because it's analog. The networking on the XBOX shouldn't create that problem.

Both are good things to try.

No. What it will stop is the neighbor's ability to connect to your network on those occasions when it shows up on their list!

The timer solution above sounds like it's worth a try. I also agree with the post above that this might be a symptom that your router is in its death throes. I have had to replace my wireless routers every 2-3 years because they eventually fail.

I was having a problem with WiFi on one of my computers, so I lessened the encpytion setting from WPA2 to WPA. Hadn't had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Honestly from your description you may want to try using a timer to turn off the device for about an hour every day. It fixed similar problems for me. Routers tend to wear down if left on for days at a time. Letting them cool down can do a lot to help with performance.
    The timer solution above sounds like it's worth a try. I also agree with the post above that this might be a symptom that your router is in its death throes. I have had to replace my wireless routers every 2-3 years because they eventually fail.
    I was able to do the firmware upgrade, and I changed channels, so I'm going to see how that goes. I'm going to give the timer thingy a try. The only problem is finding a compatible hour out of the 24 hr day to do so. I've got 4 people in this house, and we're all on it, at differing times, day and night. Sad LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Streaming video off the internet wirelessly from Netflix, Amazon, etc etc.
    We do have Netflix. We stream it through the Wii in the living room, and I also bought a Roku for in the bedroom. I love Netflix! LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 11-26-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Don't just change it to any channel. I've read where it's best to go either high or low. I had issues with my router and after trying many things, changing the the channel from auto to ch 11 fixed it

Since I did the firmware upgrade, and changed to channel 11, I've had no further problems. But I did find a nice Black Friday deal on a Belkin N series router for $30, and bought it as a backward in case I may need it.

Thanks everyone for their input.

While the problem may be fixed, in the future go with the key question...

1. What has changed since the problem started? New Wireless Devices? As said above, alot of our devices connect wifi... More in the air, more problems one could had.

Another thing to look at in an older, cheaper router is the RAM. (Yes, they have them. Thats why we need to reset our routers every once in awhile) If the RAM is/goes bad in it then that can lead to inconsistent connections.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Turn Off Ads?