Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Has anyone had a car shipped to them?

Has anyone had a car shipped to them?

My dad is about to turn 88 years old and has been told he can no longer drive. He has a fully loaded 2007 Chevy Tahoe that he wants to give to me. It is a really nice car, and I am currently driving a 1994 Ford Ranger.

The problem is he lives just north of Boston, Massachusetts, and I now live in central Arkansas. I could fly up there and drive it back, but I don't really don't want to go that route unless I have to.

Has anyone ever had a car shipped? Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Has anyone had a car shipped to them?

We had a car shipped when we moved in '02. It cost about $400 to move it 1200 miles and took about a week for it to arrive. The process was fairly simple and the mover gave plenty of instruction how to prepare it for the move. I don't remember the name of the company that did the move. They were selected by the company that handled our corporate relocation.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    We had a car shipped when we moved in '02. It cost about $400 to move it 1200 miles and took about a week for it to arrive. The process was fairly simple and the mover gave plenty of instruction how to prepare it for the move. I don't remember the name of the company that did the move. They were selected by the company that handled our corporate relocation.
    Thanks, Unassisted. I like the sounds of that. Simple with lots of instructions is pretty much what I had hoped for. I imagine the $400 price has probably gone up in the last eight years, but I figure it will be quite a bit less than the cost of purchasing a new vehicle.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Retired

Make sure they are insured.

I woud guess it will be around $700-$1000 to ship it these days. I've had a few cars shipped, ALWAYS inspect it for damage before they leave, I have seen all kinds of things happen. Have your dad document the mileage when they pick it up, and if he can, take plenty of pictures of the car from all angles. That way if there is damage, you will be able to prove it was while in the carriers possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Make sure they are insured.

I woud guess it will be around $700-$1000 to ship it these days. I've had a few cars shipped, ALWAYS inspect it for damage before they leave, I have seen all kinds of things happen. Have your dad document the mileage when they pick it up, and if he can, take plenty of pictures of the car from all angles. That way if there is damage, you will be able to prove it was while in the carriers possession.
    That is excellent advice, Reds4Life. I will be sure to take those precautions. I would hate to go to all the trouble and money and receive a damaged vehicle with no proof of their negligence.

I have several times, had a civic shipped from Cincinnati to Portland last summer, $900.

Tip go with a company that will leave the car on the truck from point a to point b, once a car leaves a truck anything can happen.

When he sends it they'll checklist the whole body and have you go over the list when they arrive.

High five!

We're going to be moving back to SoCal from Nashville and my wife has been looking into this. I think she got a quote of around $1500 for one of our cars.

I shipped a car Ohio/CA last fall for $750.00. I used a website that allowed you to request bids. Sorry that I don't remember the URL but if I find it I'll contact you.

Most of the bids were around the same price. A few were a little more/a little less.

I reviewed the companies/brokers on a site called www.transportreviews.com. I then selected several and spoke to them via phone. Once I made a choice I paid the broker $150.00 via CC and I paid the driver (an independent) $600.00 COD.

The driver was very courteous and delivered the car on time (4 hour window with a phone call when he was approximately one hour out) and was very helpful in putting the car down exactly where I wanted it.

I shipped the car in an uncovered carrier with about seven other slots. If I had wanted a covered carrier it would run you more. The car arrived in perfect condition and no additional milage. On pickup, the driver did a walk arond with the shipper and documented any damage/dings/milage.

One thing that I checked on, and I think WOY mentioned this, is to make sure it is a direct shipment and not a shipment where someone picks it up and drops it at a terminal awaiting pickup from another carrier for final destination. That not only adds time to the delivery but adds a chance(s) for damage.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    We're going to be moving back to SoCal from Nashville and my wife has been looking into this. I think she got a quote of around $1500 for one of our cars.
    That sounds high to me based upon my post above unless you are shipping it individually and/or in a covered carrier.

Rem

Thanks, guys. This is the best place to get a community of caring individuals to provide answers to the questions that plague us.

$750 for Chicago to LA last year, paid half up front. I used total car shipping and they were great. Uncovered. Car was dirty but no damage.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    $750 for Chicago to LA last year, paid half up front. I used total car shipping and they were great. Uncovered. Car was dirty but no damage.
    I like the price and the results. Thanks.

Well, I went with Nationwide because they seemed to have pretty good reviews. I paid $250 up front for a down payment. I was going up to Massachusetts anyway to see my ailing father, so I scheduled a pickup of the car on the 14th (Thursday)or 15th (Friday) while I would be up there. The driver never showed up. I called Friday evening and the sales person said he would try to be there Saturday. He never showed. I have returned to Arkansas and the driver still has not showed as of today.

I really didn't want to leave the pick up process to my 87 year-old father, and I am really disappointed in Nationwide. I am going to give them until tomorrow before I try another company. I will have to get my initial payment back.

So far, the process has not been positive.

sorry to hear that. obviously completely unacceptable.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Well, I went with Nationwide because they seemed to have pretty good reviews. I paid $250 up front for a down payment. I was going up to Massachusetts anyway to see my ailing father, so I scheduled a pickup of the car on the 14th (Thursday)or 15th (Friday) while I would be up there. The driver never showed up. I called Friday evening and the sales person said he would try to be there Saturday. He never showed. I have returned to Arkansas and the driver still has not showed as of today.

I really didn't want to leave the pick up process to my 87 year-old father, and I am really disappointed in Nationwide. I am going to give them until tomorrow before I try another company. I will have to get my initial payment back.

So far, the process has not been positive.
    Spitball, I just pointed my niece to this thread and noticed your comment towards the end. So what finally happened?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?