Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Rule 5 Draft eligibles:

2010 Rule 5 Draft eligibles:

This site lists every player on every team that is eligible for this year's Rule 5 Draft. Thought it might be of interest to some folks out there.

http://denardspanfan.mlblogs.com/arc...5-draft-1.html

Reds: Dallas Buck, Tom Cochran, Jerry Gil, Matt Klinker, Joseph Krebs, Mike Costanzo, Daniel Dorn, Eric Eymann, Michael Griffin, James Avery, Scott Carroll, Lee Tabor, Travis Webb, Chris Denove, Miguel Rojas, Andrew Bowman, Daniel Guerrero, Jeff Jeffords, Justin Reed, Jordan Hotchkiss, Jeremy Horst

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 Rule 5 Draft eligibles:

Horst and Dorn are the only ones that I think might draw any interest.

Thanks for posting. I always have a hard time finding a list like this. I think guys who recently signed minor league deals as free agents would be eligible as well. Dontrelle Willis for example.

I'd say the most likely loss for the Reds would be Horst or Buck. Buck might be the type of guy who spends a lot of time on the DL to start the season and a month rehabbing before getting an actual major league look. Some team like the Pirates could go for a guy like him. They'll be out of it by June and will jettison some vets and be able to give him half a season to see if they could strike gold. Klinker and Willis would be next to go but a team taking Willis would have to intend to use him and I just don't see Klinker sticking. Rojas may have an outside shot at being picked by some team looking for an all defense reserve, but it would be the worst thing for him and doubtful he'd stick. Dorn may be attractive as a LH DH type, but DH types have flooded the market so I'm guessing he makes it through.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    To me, the players most at risk are pitchers who can be carried in the bullpen. Klinker and Hotchkiss could fall into that category as well.

I believe Dorn was made available for the Rule 5 draft last season and no one claimed him. Not too many teams looking for a DH in Rule 5.

I suppose that Dorn and Horst might be the most vulnerable. I'd miss both those guys, but no more than Hotchkiss or Rojas. I'd really hate to lose Hotchkiss at this point. He seems to be getting better and better. Another longshot: don't forget that Gil showed a lot of improvement this year, and he's got a great arm. I wouldn't be shocked if somebody took a flier on him, thinking he could be hidden early in the season and maybe be ready to contribute later.

Are the players listed only eligible for the Major League portion of the Draft? Or are they eligible for each round?

If they are, I can see us losing Andrew Bowman and Joe Krebs

don't forget that Gil showed a lot of improvement this year, and he's got a great arm. I wouldn't be shocked if somebody took a flier on him, thinking he could be hidden early in the season and maybe be ready to contribute later.
    Reds re-signed Gil.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Reds re-signed Gil.
    But he's still Rule 5 eligible.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

But he's still Rule 5 eligible.
    Oh, right.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Are the players listed only eligible for the Major League portion of the Draft? Or are they eligible for each round?

If they are, I can see us losing Andrew Bowman and Joe Krebs
    That's only for the Major League portion of the draft. For the minor league portion, they're probably protected.

Dorn got a mention on a Pirates fan site as a possible for Rule 5

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2010/11/22...ibilities-2010

Dorn got a mention on a Pirates fan site as a possible for Rule 5

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2010/11/22...ibilities-2010
    It's interesting to me that a Pirates board could have interest in him because they never seem to have a shortage of players like Dorn. Just this year, we saw them use John Bowker, Alex Presley, Kevin Melillo, Brandon Moss, Jeff Clement, Garrett Jones, etc. With all the holes in that organization, I just can't believe someone like Dorn could be seen as a priority in the draft.

I glanced at Pirates based on this. As you might expect for a team with 105 losses, it's a mess.

Biggest issue is starting pitching. They have almost none. Only 2 guys that look halfway decent on paper are Ohlendorf and McDonald. Maholm is expensive bum ($6 mill).

But they also could definitely use some left handed punch in outfield. In 800 at bats their starting RF and LF's (Tabata and Milledge) hit 8 homers. So yes, I would take a flyer on Dorn. Rule 5 is essentially no risk if you have roster room.

But looking at Pirates web site, it appears they have no openings. A team like the Pirates should have a ton of openings. They just added 5 guys to the 40. Checked out the first guy. Mike Crotta. Just look at his stats and tell me why he gets added to the 40. We'd be calling for his release from minor leagues.

Only good news for Pirates fans is that they have little tied up in overpaid talent. They have $6 million wasted on Maholm and Doumit is overpaid at $5 mill, but both of those guys are gone next year.

So the right GM has a blank slate to start with, but Huntington seems to have given little indication that he is making the right moves.

Checked out the first guy. Mike Crotta. Just look at his stats and tell me why he gets added to the 40. We'd be calling for his release from minor leagues.
    mike Crotta: height 6ft 6in = they probably have scouts who love his projectable frame. If only Travis Wood had his kind of ceiling, life is not fair though so Travis has to be able to pitch.

Turn Off Ads?