Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

Bwahahahahahahaha.

I get that Jeter is a great player and the face of the franchise, but if he really thinks this is his value to them, while playing the "Babe Ruth" card, it's clear he has a seriously over-inflated view of himself. The Yankees are bigger than Jeter and I don't think he gets that.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...97882/26060115
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

There's now an update to the bottom of the article where Jeter's agent claims that this isn't true, so who knows.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I believe it is wise not to buy into either side's leaks. This is a public relations battle that Jeter's agent appears to be losing at the moment. You really have to wonder how it is possible to make the Yankees look sane, but they are.
    Last edited by Crosley68; 11-27-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: sp
    Let's play two!!!

The bottom line when all is said and done he will make alot more money if he re-signs with the Yankees than any other team would be willing to pay him.
    Having said that it would be funny to see him in a Red Sox uniform.

I'm fairly certain "demanding" is the wrong word to use on both sides in these negotiations, in fact it reminds me of Larkin's last few contracts.

Just amped up by history, NYC $$ and the press.
    Last edited by westofyou; 11-27-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Yeah, it is a misleading word. I was just copying the headline as it was when I saw it.

I think he winds up signing with NY for like 4 years and $75 million.

I still can't believe Jeter turned down that 3 year/$45 million contract. He should have been ecstatic that the Yanks even offered him that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I still can't believe Jeter turned down that 3 year/$45 million contract. He should have been ecstatic that the Yanks even offered him that.
    My thoughts exactly.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

This is going to be fun to watch.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't think Jeter will get ANY offers from other teams. What's the point of talking to him if he has a 3 year 45 million offer from Yanks? If that offer was not on table some other team might offer him 2 years for $10 mill.

Even that is a gamble on a SS that will be 36.5 on opening day, and coming off his worst season ever, and the second half of season was worse than the first. (for example 8 of his 10 homers hit pre-all-star).

Retired

Jeter is damaging his image with NY fans. Most are starting to see him as unreasonable and greedy. The 3/$45 contract offered to him was more than fair, and a 36 year old player wanting a 6 year deal is laughable.

He should have taken the offer, played the next 3 years, then retired as a Yankee legend. He would have been beloved in NY, now he's coming across as a greedy, whiny, primadonna.

The report now is that he's asking for 4-5 years at $23-$24 million per.

He's ridiculous. He isn't worth a fraction of that.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

The fact that the Yankees are balking at perhaps overpaying the face of their current franchise and an all-time Yankee legend, while at the same time they are signing AJ Burnett's insane paychecks, is laughable. Maybe $15 mil is what Jeter is worth on the field, but I have to think what he means to the team/fans/city/history is worth something too. Not $25 mil per, but maybe they meet in the middle around $19-20 mil per.

Bill Simmons was lobbying on a recent podcast that the BoSox should sign him to play third. I cannot express how much I would LOVE to see that happen, if not just to stick it to the Yankees and their fans. (Plus, Jeter is probably better off at third than SS these days.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    The fact that the Yankees are balking at perhaps overpaying the face of their current franchise and an all-time Yankee legend, while at the same time they are signing AJ Burnett's insane paychecks, is laughable. Maybe $15 mil is what Jeter is worth on the field, but I have to think what he means to the team/fans/city/history is worth something too. Not $25 mil per, but maybe they meet in the middle around $19-20 mil per.
    The Yankees don't remember success with faces and jersey numbers. They remember success with World Series rings.

Turn Off Ads?