Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72

Thread: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

  1. #46
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,877

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    If they thought he was clean, they deserve everything they get. Karma, baby, Karma.
    Maybe so, but that doesn't mean Jeter should get what he's asking. Heck, he's not really worth what the Yankees have already offered.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,520

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    I wonder where he'll go to if not the Yankees. I wonder if StL would go after him?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  4. #48
    Cruisin' for trouble
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    3,290

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder where he'll go to if not the Yankees. I wonder if StL would go after him?
    He can't go anywhere and I'm sure that's what the Yankees realize. If Jeter were to hit the open market, there isn't a chance he would be able to get half of what the Yankees are offering. He really has very little leverage.

  5. #49
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,234

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    It's clear that Jeter is on the decline but I wonder if some here aren't underestimating him slightly. He had a bad year this year but a genuinely fantastic (at least offensively) 2009 -- probably his best year of the decade or at least since 2001. He's durable. If he can eventually end up in the outfield he's a player worth paying for (not for six years though).

    Payments are skewed when you talk about the Yankees; any free agent is going to expect more from them than other teams. So I don't know that they'll find comparable quality for that much less than $15 a year. Conversely, although no other team will pay Jeter what the Yankees will, he's still a better option than a lot of teams have in front of them.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  6. #50
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,233

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    It's clear that Jeter is on the decline but I wonder if some here aren't underestimating him slightly. He had a bad year this year but a genuinely fantastic (at least offensively) 2009 -- probably his best year of the decade or at least since 2001. He's durable. If he can eventually end up in the outfield he's a player worth paying for (not for six years though).

    Payments are skewed when you talk about the Yankees; any free agent is going to expect more from them than other teams. So I don't know that they'll find comparable quality for that much less than $15 a year. Conversely, although no other team will pay Jeter what the Yankees will, he's still a better option than a lot of teams have in front of them.
    The problem with you logic is you aren't just paying him for next season. Your paying him for next season as well as 2014. The key question is how much longer will Jeter be productive? He really isn't a SS right now but in all likelihood he isn't going to move off SS anytime soon. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Jeter wouldn't be worth his keep next season, just it gets dicey heading forward.

  7. #51
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,520

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The problem with you logic is you aren't just paying him for next season. Your paying him for next season as well as 2014. The key question is how much longer will Jeter be productive? He really isn't a SS right now but in all likelihood he isn't going to move off SS anytime soon. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Jeter wouldn't be worth his keep next season, just it gets dicey heading forward.

    Not only that but he's worth more to the Yankees than he's worth to any other team. If Jeter wants to go elsewhere and someone like HOU says they would like to have him but only at $10M a year, he's going to have to think awful long and hard about it. In NY, Jeter can play SS until he's in a wheelchair. He's their captain and leader. He also swings a decent bat. When he retires, he can pretty much write his own ticket. I see talk show host in his future. He won't be able to do that in HOU or SD or StL.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  8. #52
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,898

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    ESPN New York ran a piece today that said, should the Yankees negotiation implode completely, Jeter could be in line to receive an offer with the Dodgers that would reunite him with Torre.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  9. #53
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,275

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    ESPN New York ran a piece today that said, should the Yankees negotiation implode completely, Jeter could be in line to receive an offer with the Dodgers that would reunite him with Torre.
    Does Torre have any connections with the Dodgers now that he's retired?

    Pay attention to the open sky

  10. #54
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,560

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    If by "implode", you mean the Yankees pull their offer, then yes, Jeter will probably get several offers, that will be about 4-5 million for a couple tears. But as long as Yankees offer is on the table, no team will get in. Yankees are already offering about 3 times he would be worth on open market.

  11. #55
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    ESPN New York ran a piece today that said, should the Yankees negotiation implode completely, Jeter could be in line to receive an offer with the Dodgers that would reunite him with Torre.
    The Dodgers, reportedly, are on the verge of signing Uribe. I would have to think that would take them out of the running for a Jeter signing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    769

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not only that but he's worth more to the Yankees than he's worth to any other team. If Jeter wants to go elsewhere and someone like HOU says they would like to have him but only at $10M a year, he's going to have to think awful long and hard about it. In NY, Jeter can play SS until he's in a wheelchair. He's their captain and leader. He also swings a decent bat. When he retires, he can pretty much write his own ticket. I see talk show host in his future. He won't be able to do that in HOU or SD or StL.
    The Yankees are worth far more to Jeter than he is to the Yankees.

    In the short term, the Yankees will face a minor fan uproar, with a few poorly written columns that will play humorously in the Deadspins and The Big Leads. But in the end it will mean nothing to their bottom line. They'll continue to sell tickets and print money with their YES Network broadcasts and sponsorship.

    The Yankees have had lifetime Yanks before. They'll have lifetime Yanks again in the future. If Jeter takes a deal with another team, he becomes just another player who left the Yankees for 'greener' pastures.

    The Yankees' obligation here was to offer a respectable deal to keep him in pinstripes. They've done that. Following next week's winter meetings, it will be clear to Jeter and his representation the landscape that they are facing. And when that picture crystallizes, they'll be left the prospects of salvaging his reputation to 'settle' for the Yanks' offer. I suspect the Yanks will give a little in the form of a 'lifetime' contract' that will be in essence four years at $15m-15m-15m-12m.

  13. #57
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,015

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    The Yankees have had lifetime Yanks before. They'll have lifetime Yanks again in the future. If Jeter takes a deal with another team, he becomes just another player who left the Yankees for 'greener' pastures.
    This.

    Derek Jeter is not irreplaceable, he's a Yankee yes, but he ain't a God.

    The Yankees know this, I'm sure he and his reps do too.

  14. #58
    Member MattyHo4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,515

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder where he'll go to if not the Yankees. I wonder if StL would go after him?
    I read an article the other day that mentioned the Cardinals as a possible player for Jeter. I don't think the Cards have even considered making an offer for Jeter, and they have no reason to. The Cards were burned last time they signed a Yankee favorite. The Cards need to focus on signing Pujols to a LTC...not bringing in an overrated Yankee.

  15. #59
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    There's no way Jeter and LaRussa could co-exist in the same dugout.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  16. #60
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,015

    Re: Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    There's no way Jeter and LaRussa could co-exist in the same dugout.
    Sure they could, I'm thinking many here couldn't deal with it.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25