Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How about Ellsbury

How about Ellsbury

Apparently there is a strained relationship between Ellsbury and the Red Sox and the Sox could be open to moving him. What about the possibility of Ellsbury in left for the Reds? He could bat lead off and be our best defensive left field option. While he was hurt for 2010 maybe the Reds could pick him up in a good deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about Ellsbury

If the price is right I would love Ellsbury in left. His defense and speed have both suffered a bit, but he is still a monstrous upgrade. If the Bosox want to move him I'd be more than happy to see him penciled into the 2011 Reds leadoff spot.

Ellsbury is on my short list of LF targets. All for it.

Sox are a tough match-up for the Reds. Maybe Alonso would interest them some and if the Reds could add some other pieces from lower in the system, they could use them to piece together a package for Adrian Gonzalez. Something like Alonso, Heisey and Boxberger might work, but if the goal is to put together a package for Gonzalez, the Pads would probably rather have Ellsbury. The Sox want bullpen help and would like to move Matsuzaka's contract, but the Reds probably couldn't afford to deal Masset (which would be the Sox likely target) and the Reds can't really absorb Matsuzaka's deal. Its hard to picture a deal that could work IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sox are a tough match-up for the Reds. Maybe Alonso would interest them some and if the Reds could add some other pieces from lower in the system, they could use them to piece together a package for Adrian Gonzalez. Something like Alonso, Heisey and Boxberger might work, but if the goal is to put together a package for Gonzalez, the Pads would probably rather have Ellsbury.
    Agreed. Ellsbury's their best chip for a big bat, and the Sox don't have a pressing need for the Reds' best chip -- pitching. If the Reds are going to make a significant deal, say for a player like Reyes or Ellsbury, it's going to have to involve pitching. There's no top-shelf major-league ready prospect who could land a top player. (Alonso, Frazier, et al, are not elite prospects at this point.)

Right. If the Sox trade Ellsbury, it won't be for a package of prospect but for an established bat or even Colby Rasmus.

Though I agree the Red Sox don't match up with the Reds, I can see the Reds matching up for Mike Cameron if the Sox agree to pay much of his salary. Cameron would probably put up Gomes type offense, but with him in center, Stubbs in left, and Bruce in right, the Reds would have a tight outfield defense.

The Reds can always work a three way trade: send pitchers to a team that needs pitching and has bats to spare, they can send the bats to Bosto, and we get Ellsbury.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Elsbury doesn't have much trade value, coming off an I jury year, and about to make big money. Plus, he's really not part of their plans anymore. The Red Sox need a big bat, but in no way are counting on Elsbury as a way to get that big bat. He would only be a piece of what's needed to get one. The bigger piece would be Bard or Papelbon.

I think the Sox would love an Elsbury for Alonso deal. Alonso is their type of hitter, would be a great replecement for Ortiz, and would thrive on Pesky's Pole.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Right. If the Sox trade Ellsbury, it won't be for a package of prospect but for an established bat or even Colby Rasmus.

Though I agree the Red Sox don't match up with the Reds, I can see the Reds matching up for Mike Cameron if the Sox agree to pay much of his salary. Cameron would probably put up Gomes type offense, but with him in center, Stubbs in left, and Bruce in right, the Reds would have a tight outfield defense.
    Cameron will be 38, he's coming off of injuries and will make $7.25 Million in 2011 as a one year rental. I wonder if the Sox would take Cordero and a middling prospect (say somebody like Valaika). Reds get their OF some help and free some money from the budget. The Sox get an added arm for the pen to make it easier to deal Bard and say Bowden along with Ellsbury in a deal for Gonzalez. If the Sox balk at taking on any money, perhaps the Reds could add a middling prospect that might interest the Padres and get Scutaro as well. Scutaro would be good insurance at SS and add depth at 2B and 3B where the Reds really need it. It would still leave the Reds dangerously short of lefty bats.

If the Reds got Cameron, do you really think Stubbs would play LF? I'd guess Cameorn would play primarily LF and maybe the other spots when Bruce and Stubbs need a day off. I'm guessing Cameron would need a couple of days per week off and wouldn't be out there all the time.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-28-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Elsbury doesn't have much trade value, coming off an I jury year, and about to make big money. Plus, he's really not part of their plans anymore. The Red Sox need a big bat, but in no way are counting on Elsbury as a way to get that big bat. He would only be a piece of what's needed to get one. The bigger piece would be Bard or Papelbon.

I think the Sox would love an Elsbury for Alonso deal. Alonso is their type of hitter, would be a great replecement for Ortiz, and would thrive on Pesky's Pole.
    They have their own version of Alonso in Lars Anderson. Maybe they could add him to the deal for Gonzalez and Keep Alonso.

I'm not really a guy who likes the speed oriented types in the OF corners, but, if that what you are suggesting is true, I'd deal Alonso for Ellsbury straight up ASAP before anyone wakes up. The bar is pretty high at 1B and a guy needs to be an elite hitter to be much more than run of the mill. Guys like Adam Laroche and Lyle Overbay are out there evey year and Alonso could end up as a very successful draft pick and still be not much more than that. This year alone we have Konerko, Pena, Laroche, Overbay, Dunn, Lee, Berkman, Branyan, Thome, Wigginton, Cantu, Tejada and Nick Johnson all out there and that doesn't count the already signed Victor Martinez and Aubrey Huff. Most teams have a young up and comer of their own in their system or already entrenched at 1B and if the Reds could get Ellsbury for Alonso, they should do it right away IMO.

Most teams have a young up and comer of their own in their system or already entrenched at 1B and if the Reds could get Ellsbury for Alonso, they should do it right away IMO.
    No chance of their being able to peddle Alonso for Ellsbury. Sox have Lars Anderson and Anthony Rizzo as 1B prospects -- and Alonso has not separated himself with any certainty from guys like that as of yet. Red Sox have bigger fish to fry.

It makes sense for the Reds to continue to develop Alonso at AAA. Hopefully he puts up big numbers in 2011 and makes himself a real option for teams looking for a young 1b/DH who can step right into a major league lineup. He's not quite there yet.

I have no idea about how things matchup for deals between boston and cincy, I just know that Ellsbury in LF scratches me where I itch with regard to the 2011 cincinnati reds. An OF of Ellsbury/Stubbs/Bruce would be something to hang a hat on going forward. And Ellsbury gives the club the leadoff hitter they desire.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    No chance of their being able to peddle Alonso for Ellsbury. Sox have Lars Anderson and Anthony Rizzo as 1B prospects -- and Alonso has not separated himself with any certainty from guys like that as of yet. Red Sox have bigger fish to fry.

It makes sense for the Reds to continue to develop Alonso at AAA. Hopefully he puts up big numbers in 2011 and makes himself a real option for teams looking for a young 1b/DH who can step right into a major league lineup. He's not quite there yet.
    Agree, That was kind of my point. The return for Alonso would probably be much less than Ellsbury. He's just not special at a position where pretty good is just ho hum. If a deal like that would be on the table, the Reds should jump at it.

Alonso would be a good guy in a package with say Leake for a bigger fish than Ellsbury, but not sure a straight-up deal would fly.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-28-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Ellsbury is a nice player, but coming off an injury plagued season I don't like trading a guy like Alonso for him. I also don't think his OBP skills are so outstanding that it would be worth unloading Alonso. As we all saw with Taveras, speed and health are not a guaranteed commodities going forward, and Dusty isn't the most run happy manager either. I don't think Ellsbury would be the right player for the Reds in LF. Without the steals he's just a 4th outfielder to me.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Ellsbury is a nice player, but coming off an injury plagued season I don't like trading a guy like Alonso for him. I also don't think his OBP skills are so outstanding that it would be worth unloading Alonso. As we all saw with Taveras, speed and health are not a guaranteed commodities going forward, and Dusty isn't the most run happy manager either. I don't think Ellsbury would be the right player for the Reds in LF. Without the steals he's just a 4th outfielder to me.
    Assuming 2010 is a lost season, Ellsbury's 2009 had him with a .355 OBP and a .415 Slugging %. As lead-off guys go that isn't bad and a move to the NL should give those numbers a slight boost. The steals themselves mean very little IMO. I'd just as soon the guys at the top of the Reds order stay put and leave the big hole between 1B and 2B while guys are holding him on and not risk getting thrown out in front of Votto and Bruce (who are likely to drive guys in with extra base hits). Save all that risky running non-sense for the bottom of the order where they actually need to steal to help them get around the bases.

From that standpoint, I kind of agree about Ellsbury not being may favorite target, but what do you seriously think Alonso would bring back in a deal? He's a promising bat where most prospects are promising bats, nearly every team has one and even the ones that carry it to the big leagues are just ordinary unless they reach the upper echelon. Sean Casey was a really promising bat once upon a time and spent most of his career in the bottom half of regular 1B production. I don't see teams giving up a whole lot for Alonso and he's of no use to the Reds playing 1B in AAA. This is the year for the Reds to go for it. First good deal that comes along that improves the major league product, and Alonso should be on his way out of town IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-28-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Turn Off Ads?