Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report: TCU to join Big East

Re: Report: TCU to join Big East

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I did read something about a deal with the Champs Sports Bowl but I'm not sure that it affects any others
    I think the Gator Bowl has an ND tie in that allows them to take ND every so often, but I'm not sure that is a Big East thing or just a ND thing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's big, but it isn't nuts. You can break basketball into four different 5-team divisions and play a rotating 18 game schedule (everyone in your division twice, and one game with every team in 2 of the remaining 3 divisions).

Top 3 or Top 4 in each division makes the tourney.

It actually sets up very nicely as a 20 team conference.
    That works for basketball, but I would do some thing a little different:

Add: TCU, UCF, Memphis, and ECU

Four conference five team:

Division 1(Central):
    Marquette
    Depaul
    Notre Dame
    Cincinnati
    Syracuse

Division 2(East):
    WVU
    Pitt
    Georgetown
    East Carolina
    Villanova

Division 3(Northeast):
    Rutgers
    St Johns
    Seton Hall
    UConn
    Providence

Divison 4(South):
    USF
    UCF
    TCU
    Memphis
    Louisville

However, in order to qualify for the Big East tournament, you will have to win your conference or qualify as a wildcard. I will always say that while the Big East is usually the best basketball conference (IMO its the Big Ten this year), the current tournament format is a gauntlet that usually leaves the teams gassed come NCAA tournament time and most of the Big East schools dropping like flies early on. Going to this format would eliminate that.

Example using bolded teams(division winners) and italics(wildcard):

Assume Pitt and Syracuse finish with the two best records and receive a first round bye:

Round 1:
    Marquette vs Louisville
    WVU vs UConn

Round 2:
    Winner of Marquette Louisville vs Pitt
    Winner of WVU UConn vs Syracuse

Round 3:
    Semifinals

Round 4:
    Championship

Clear as mud?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think the Gator Bowl has an ND tie in that allows them to take ND every so often, but I'm not sure that is a Big East thing or just a ND thing.
    Gator bowl has a new (Oct 2010) tie-in with the Big Ten and SEC.

JaxRed

(Redszone source of all Jax info)

Retired

Really? Does ND have to share their Bowl revenue with the Big East if they take a Big East Bowl spot?
    If I remember correctly, no they don't.

There are a lot oddites, but I think when it comes to any revenue that comes from football the Big East gets a big fat nothing from Notre Dame. But its perfectly ok for them to get a share of all other Big East sports they participate in. Nice huh?

The Big East should send them packing, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    If I remember correctly, no they don't.

There are a lot oddites, but I think when it comes to any revenue that comes from football the Big East gets a big fat nothing from Notre Dame. But its perfectly ok for them to get a share of all other Big East sports they participate in. Nice huh?

The Big East should send them packing, IMO.
    Having joint bowl tie ins with Notre Dame gives the Big East opportunities at better bowls. The Gator Bowl, and subsequently the Champ Sports Bowl, would not have made the deal with the Big East if it was not a deal that allowed them to pick the Big East team OR Notre Dame. I believe this is the first time since the Big East reorganization that Notre Dame has taken a Big East bowl tie-in despite deals that allowed for it. And, I could be wrong, but I think it is only with the top non-BCS bowl, previously the Gator Bowl and now Champs Sports.

I think this is a bad deal for both. The Big East is inviting TCU as a football powerhouse who has had two good/great seasons in a row. What happens if Gary Patterson leaves for a better job and TCU turns into an afterthought? You can bring up the whole Dallas/Ft. Worth area thing but TCU would still be #3 in that area behind Texas, Texas A&M, and even Oklahoma.

The biggest loser of this may be the MWC. If the MWC had a conference with Utah, TCU, Boise St, BYU, and Air Force that is deserving of an automatic BCS bowl berth. As it is now they have BSU and Air Force.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Having joint bowl tie ins with Notre Dame gives the Big East opportunities at better bowls. The Gator Bowl, and subsequently the Champ Sports Bowl, would not have made the deal with the Big East if it was not a deal that allowed them to pick the Big East team OR Notre Dame. I believe this is the first time since the Big East reorganization that Notre Dame has taken a Big East bowl tie-in despite deals that allowed for it. And, I could be wrong, but I think it is only with the top non-BCS bowl, previously the Gator Bowl and now Champs Sports.
    I don't know. Just about all of these Bowls have conference tie ins. If the Big East held steadfast ND would have slim pickins when it came time to pick a Bowl. This would make it tougher for ND to remain independent, raising the pressure on those at South Bend to join a conference.

I honestly can't see the logic for the Big East to give away Bowl revenue. I sure hope ND has to share their revenue from these games with the Big East; otherwise it's a rip off

I don't know. Just about all of these Bowls have conference tie ins. If the Big East held steadfast ND would have slim pickins when it came time to pick a Bowl. This would make it tougher for ND to remain independent, raising the pressure on those at South Bend to join a conference.

I honestly can't see the logic for the Big East to give away Bowl revenue. I sure hope ND has to share their revenue from these games with the Big East; otherwise it's a rip off
    It's a rip off. This is why pretty much every Big East school wants the conference to give ND the boot.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think this is a bad deal for both. The Big East is inviting TCU as a football powerhouse who has had two good/great seasons in a row. What happens if Gary Patterson leaves for a better job and TCU turns into an afterthought? You can bring up the whole Dallas/Ft. Worth area thing but TCU would still be #3 in that area behind Texas, Texas A&M, and even Oklahoma.

The biggest loser of this may be the MWC. If the MWC had a conference with Utah, TCU, Boise St, BYU, and Air Force that is deserving of an automatic BCS bowl berth. As it is now they have BSU and Air Force.
    Boise State has to be feeling real silly right now. They move into the Mountain West this summer thinking they would join Utah and TCU. Both have since jumped ship, leaving Boise making a lateral move at best...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I do feel bad for Boise they think theyre joining a stronger conference and since then its like everything bad that could happen has... BYU gone, TCU gone, Utah already gone before hand.

Anyways any chance at MWC and WAC joining forces again?

Boise State
    Nevada
    Hawaii
    San Diego State
    Air Force
    Fresno State
    Pick up the pieces if/when the big 12 collapses upon itself?
    Houston?
    SMU?
    Tulsa?

Would that core be enough to get the conversation started or would the bottom half any union just be too putridly bad that the Big East would look like the SEC/Big 10?
    Last edited by Slyder; 11-30-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I though Hawaii was going to the MWC?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I though Hawaii was going to the MWC?
    They are, might cover Utah leaving but that still means you have to replace BYU's name recognition and TCU's results.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?