Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: TCU to join Big East

Report: TCU to join Big East

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf...ory?id=5862368

Good for the Big East. Just not sure how much sense it makes geographically.

I'm guessing Villanova will be next for football, or maybe Memphis for all sports?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Report: TCU to join Big East

This is great news for the Big East. Villanova has an offer. If they turn it down, Temple will likely get a "football only" invite. They make sense; they already play football in one conference (MAC) and all other sports in another (A-10).

The other options all have serious down-sides. Memphis is perennially terrible in football, and doesn't spend the money to improve. UCF is in USFs backyard, and would add more competition for the top talent in FL. ECU is small, in a small town, and with a small fan base.

Go Cards! Go Big East! and for one weekend only, go USF.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    This is great news for the Big East. Villanova has an offer. If they turn it down, Temple will likely get a "football only" invite. They make sense; they already play football in one conference (MAC) and all other sports in another (A-10).

The other options all have serious down-sides. Memphis is perennially terrible in football, and doesn't spend the money to improve. UCF is in USFs backyard, and would add more competition for the top talent in FL. ECU is small, in a small town, and with a small fan base.

Go Cards! Go Big East! and for one weekend only, go USF.
    TCU only helps in football though in terms of major sports, but its entering the Dallas-Fort Worth market and prime recruiting grounds.

UCF is interesting because they have made siginificant upgrades to try to get into a bigger conference, but I don't see any of their teams being competitive in either basketball or football.

Memphis would be good for basketball. They play in a NBA arena, provide a solid media market, and a pretty good hotbed of talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

TCU is the best of the non-AQ schools around for football. Smart move adding them to the conference. I'm kinda surprised the hoops schools gave the OK, though -- considering this shifts the balance of power in the conference to the football side w/ 9 votes (vs. basketball's 8).

'Nova to D-1A football makes a little bit less sense, though. They really don't have the facilities or the cash to make the jump, from what I've read.

If they do go outside to add a final football member, I'd imagine that they'd want another school in the south -- Memphis, ECU, UCF or Tulane would all be easy targets.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    TCU only helps in football though in terms of major sports
    The Big East doesn't really need any help in other major sports, though. And it matters less in every other sport since there is no BCS.

Retired

I wouldn't be extending any all sports invitations. The basketball side of the conference is already to big, what do they want, 18 teams? 20? That is nuts.

They should have given Notre Dame a football invite, if they don't accept, that's fine, but then I'd boot them out for all other sports.

TCU wasn't going to accept an invitation that wasn't an all-sports invite. And right now the Big East seems to need TCU more than TCU needs the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    TCU wasn't going to accept an invitation that wasn't an all-sports invite. And right now the Big East seems to need TCU more than TCU needs the Big East.
    All the more reason to do as Reds4Life suggested

I'm sure ND has a standing football invite. I'd be okay booting the Irish for other sports, but I think ND's association with the Big East actually helps the bowl situation (since every bowl that signs on with the Big East knows there's at least a glimmer of hope that they'll get ND instead of a Big East team). If the conference mucketty-mucks have done the calculus and concluded that the league is better off overall with ND for everything but football than without them, then I trust those mucketty-mucks.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I wouldn't be extending any all sports invitations. The basketball side of the conference is already to big, what do they want, 18 teams? 20? That is nuts.
    It's big, but it isn't nuts. You can break basketball into four different 5-team divisions and play a rotating 18 game schedule (everyone in your division twice, and one game with every team in 2 of the remaining 3 divisions).

Top 3 or Top 4 in each division makes the tourney.

It actually sets up very nicely as a 20 team conference.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm sure ND has a standing football invite. I'd be okay booting the Irish for other sports, but I think ND's association with the Big East actually helps the bowl situation (since every bowl that signs on with the Big East knows there's at least a glimmer of hope that they'll get ND instead of a Big East team). If the conference mucketty-mucks have done the calculus and concluded that the league is better off overall with ND for everything but football than without them, then I trust those mucketty-mucks.
    I think ND is using the Big East. I see no glimer of hope that the Big East will get ND football. If ND ever wants to join a conference in football, I have to believe they'll boot the Big East and join the Big Ten

What I meant by that is that Notre Dame is currently eligible to take Big East bowl invites if they're not in a BCS game. So some of (maybe most of) the draw for a bowl of aligning with the Big East is the possibility that Notre Dame will end up in their bowl instead of a Big East team.

What I meant by that is that Notre Dame is currently eligible to take Big East bowl invites if they're not in a BCS game. So some of (maybe most of) the draw for a bowl of aligning with the Big East is the possibility that Notre Dame will end up in their bowl instead of a Big East team.
    Really? Does ND have to share their Bowl revenue with the Big East if they take a Big East Bowl spot?

Not sure how that works.

I did read something about a deal with the Champs Sports Bowl but I'm not sure that it affects any others

Turn Off Ads?