Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54

Thread: Redszone Hall of Fame

  1. #16
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,285

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I guess I would suggest the process as such:

    Once a year, we have a nomination process. The moderators could field the nominations. The minimum criteria would be certain time in rank and maybe a threshold of number of posts (though I agree with Ron I wouldn't set the number too high, but I do think there should be a minimum as this is supposed to be not just about quality, but longevity and amount of quality).

    Anyone fielding at least two nominations will go up for the ballot.

    The moderators then propose the Hall of Fame ballot and I would propose that both Sun Deck and ORG members vote on it (though results are hidden). The reason I propose Sun Deck members vote too is because they often read the ORG and have an objective view about the best members.

    My proposal is that we set the number at 75% of the votes for admission into the Hall of Fame.

    We could have the first ballot be a little bigger to account for past members that aren't necessarily active anymore. Some of the past great posters could be included on that first ballot (or subsequent ballots if they're not voted in).

    Though it seems counterintuitive, if we wanted to avoid hurt feelings, we could avoid a discussion thread on the topic except for nominations. This would somewhat lessen the chance it gets too sensitive.
    I don't see the upside here. Once someone is nominated, if there is discussion on his/her merits, feelings are going to be hurt. someone will dissent eventually.

    Besides, in every HOF it usually means that person is retired. I prefer yearly awards because there are no hard feelings.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,512

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't see the upside here. Once someone is nominated, if there is discussion on his/her merits, feelings are going to be hurt. someone will dissent eventually.

    Besides, in every HOF it usually means that person is retired. I prefer yearly awards because there are no hard feelings.
    Like I said, if we're worried about hurt feelings, why do we already have a class society separating the best posters from the folks on the Sun Deck? If that's truly an issue, we should go back to one board.

    Several people have already commented they think it's a neat idea. So if it is, then I think we shouldn't let the possibility of a few people getting their feelings hurt stop us from doing it. I'm all for doing it in a way we can limit the possibility, but I see no reason why we can't do it. Awards, merits, honors are given in almost every facet of life at the risk of someone having their feelings hurt. I just think that's a petty reason not to do something. Do we have to give trophies for last place these days?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  4. #18
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,072

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Brutus, you make some good points, but if we're going to (re)institute an accolades system, I'd prefer we start with the yearly awards that we've had in the past. It's something we used to have and I never heard a negative word uttered about the process; personally speaking, I enjoyed them quite a bit. If there's enough interest to make this happen and things go as well as they have in the past, I'm certainly open to reconsidering your suggestion. I'd rather start a bit smaller with something we've successfully done before and see how the yearly awards goes over first, though, before potentially attempting your idea. That will be kind of a guinea pig to see if there's enough interest to make this type of idea work.

  5. #19
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    I really enjoyed the old Annual RedsZone Postees Awards.

  6. #20
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I really enjoyed the old Annual RedsZone Postees Awards.
    I think Sava used to start that thread every year.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  7. #21
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,147

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    most handsome poster (The Raisor Award)
    damn right
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  8. #22
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    damn right

    Sure, now that you've shaved off your beard no one else has a chance.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #23
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,285

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Like I said, if we're worried about hurt feelings, why do we already have a class society separating the best posters from the folks on the Sun Deck? If that's truly an issue, we should go back to one board.

    Several people have already commented they think it's a neat idea. So if it is, then I think we shouldn't let the possibility of a few people getting their feelings hurt stop us from doing it. I'm all for doing it in a way we can limit the possibility, but I see no reason why we can't do it. Awards, merits, honors are given in almost every facet of life at the risk of someone having their feelings hurt. I just think that's a petty reason not to do something. Do we have to give trophies for last place these days?
    Something about this post was bugging me, and I finally figured it out.

    You are right. We don't have to give out trophies for last place. Where you are wrong is not everything is a competition. The reason tORG was separated from tSD was that the established members of Redszone had built a community that was comforable. There were rules posted but almost no violators. We left the old cinci.com board to get away from trolls, flame posts and edgy language (see edgy language thread ) Like it or not, the new people had to prove they can contribute in a way acceptable to the existing community. And they weren't doing a good job.

    And now you want to segregate another group, by placing a fewat yet another level? why? There is absolutely no upside to this idea. IMO Redszone has one HOFer... Old Red Guard. Look for the post that tORG was essentially founded on. I think it's archived.

    I've been here a long time. I've been right a few times, wrong a few times and part of the masses almost all the time. Some here I consider casual friends, though we have never met. Some I miss terribly because they left and their wit and wisdom were a bright point to a day or week. Some I wouldn't say hi to if we passed on the street. I don't need to see them in a Virtual Hall of Fame.

    The yearly awards are fun, light hearted, offer no special privileges and are not taken so seriously that we offend anyone. It's about as much of a competition as a David Letterman Top 10 List.

    So count me against a HOF idea.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  10. #24
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    I demand inclusion on the first ballot!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  11. #25
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    damn right
    Man how I wish I still had that picture of you and the bunnies. I need to see if I can find that bad boy....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  12. #26
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,406

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Man how I wish I still had that picture of you and the bunnies. I need to see if I can find that bad boy....
    I have it at home

  13. #27
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Man how I wish I still had that picture of you and the bunnies. I need to see if I can find that bad boy....

    Ask and ye shall receive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  14. #28
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Enshrine Puffy and Raisor and then burn it to the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  15. #29
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Enshrine Puffy and Raisor and then burn it to the ground.
    Hopefully with both of them still inside....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  16. #30
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Something about this post was bugging me, and I finally figured it out.

    You are right. We don't have to give out trophies for last place. Where you are wrong is not everything is a competition. The reason tORG was separated from tSD was that the established members of Redszone had built a community that was comforable. There were rules posted but almost no violators. We left the old cinci.com board to get away from trolls, flame posts and edgy language (see edgy language thread ) Like it or not, the new people had to prove they can contribute in a way acceptable to the existing community. And they weren't doing a good job.

    And now you want to segregate another group, by placing a fewat yet another level? why? There is absolutely no upside to this idea. IMO Redszone has one HOFer... Old Red Guard. Look for the post that tORG was essentially founded on. I think it's archived.

    I've been here a long time. I've been right a few times, wrong a few times and part of the masses almost all the time. Some here I consider casual friends, though we have never met. Some I miss terribly because they left and their wit and wisdom were a bright point to a day or week. Some I wouldn't say hi to if we passed on the street. I don't need to see them in a Virtual Hall of Fame.

    The yearly awards are fun, light hearted, offer no special privileges and are not taken so seriously that we offend anyone. It's about as much of a competition as a David Letterman Top 10 List.

    So count me against a HOF idea.


    This is a very good post IMHO.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25