Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Where's Homer?

Where's Homer?

Guy in my office came up to me today and talked about Redsfest. He said he didn't see Homer Bailey's name there on the list of attendees. I looked in the Enquirer and on the Reds home page and, sure enough, no Homer. So I started wondering if he's not going to be there because he's getting traded in the next couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where's Homer?

Where's Homer?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Guy in my office came up to me today and talked about Redsfest. He said he didn't see Homer Bailey's name there on the list of attendees. I looked in the Enquirer and on the Reds home page and, sure enough, no Homer. So I started wondering if he's not going to be there because he's getting traded in the next couple of days.
    He hasn't attended Redsfest the past two years. Homer is an avid hunter and goes on hunting trips to Canada, Colorado, among other places. I'm guessing that's where he'll be this weekend.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He hasn't attended Redsfest the past two years. Homer is an avid hunter and goes on hunting trips to Canada, Colorado, among other places. I'm guessing that's where he'll be this weekend.
    I think he missed last year because of Paul Janish's wedding (I believe he was in it) so it's not always a hunting trip although that does make the most sense.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

While I wouldn't think it imminent I would not at all be surprised to see Bailey traded this off season.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Was he originally on the list?

If so, then this may be something. If not, there are many Reds not at Redsfest and I don't think there is any significance to that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Was he originally on the list?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I think he missed last year because of Paul Janish's wedding (I believe he was in it) so it's not always a hunting trip although that does make the most sense.
    Yeah, last year he most likely missed out on hunting time due to Janish's wedding, but it was a good excuse not to be at Redsfest.

I don't have a problem with it. I know guys like him that are big time hunters and it's like a religion.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Yeah, last year he most likely missed out on hunting time due to Janish's wedding, but it was a good excuse not to be at Redsfest.

I don't have a problem with it. I know guys like him that are big time hunters and it's like a religion.

He can hunt any time during the winter. I'm sure he's not the only hunter on the Reds and it seems like the Reds have made it a priority for their players to be at Redsfest for at least one day. I'm not trying to criticize him but I just find it odd that pretty much every player is there and he isn't. It's probably nothing but I find it a little strange nonetheless.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Bailey strikes me as a private person, and for all we know, he could have much more pressing matters that involve anything from a friend's wedding to sick relatives. Instead of speculating, I think we should just accept that he won't be there and hope we see him some other time. Unless he wants to volunteer the information, it's really none of our business what he does in his free time imho.

He can hunt any time during the winter.

Actually hunting seasons vary state by state, even hunting distrcit by district, and species by species. In Montana, general elk and deer season ended last Sunday, while some districts have special tags available.

Also, if he books his trip through an outfitter, it isn't easy to switch your reservation at the last minute.

I view Redsfest as an optional thing. If the Reds want to require anyone to be there, put it in their contract. May cost them some money, but the whole purpose of Redsfest is public relations to pump up ticket sales, build fan loyalty, and increase revenues.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

"Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Haha sounds like a hot stove league show call.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Looking at the active roster and the list on the Reds website, it appears that Jose Arredondo, Homer Bailey, Jared Burton, Francisco Cordero, Daniel Ray Herrera, Darryl Thompson, Phillippe Valiquette, Travis Wood, Yasmani Grandal, Ramon Hernandez, and Kris Negron are all the ones that aren't listed as attending as of yet. So Homer isn't the only one, so although Bailey is one of the 'bigger' names that isn't, I don't think it is too alarming or surprising.

Turn Off Ads?