Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Announce Double-A Staff

-The Insider-

Reds Announce Double-A Staff

The entire 2010 Mudcats field staff of David Bell, Ryan Jackson, Tom Brown, and Jimmy Mattocks will return for the 2011 campaign.

I knew about DB returning over a month ago but didn't know who else was returning. I was going to try and find out in the next few weeks but they beat me too it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Announce Double-A Staff

I was hoping for a new face as manager. Nothing personal but after the past two seasons a change couldn't hurt. I'm good with the rest of the staff.
    Last edited by muddie; 12-02-2010 at 12:28 PM.

-The Insider-

DB's style is a tiny bit different (lots of double switches) but I don't think changing managers would put out different results.

Could anybody manage this team to any level of respect? It has been a stopover for more than the last couple years, (Sappelt, Mesoraco, Dorn, Valaika, Frazier, etc), and then this year when a converted starter starts putting up impressive #'s in relief, he jumps all the way to the Big Leagues! (Smith).
    Last edited by gedred69; 12-05-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo

-The Insider-

I don't quite understand your question.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I don't quite understand your question.
    I don't think he was expecting much of an answer. The Mudcats, through no fault of their own, have been pretty bad the past couple years, and there isn't a lot of reason to expect much different this year. I think he's basically saying that the staff can't make the Mudcats a winner until the Reds actually put some talent there. Fortunately, there will be actual talent there, but it's doubtful that it will result in a winning team. It's very difficult to say how the new group will do because AA is typically the level that separates the men from the boys, and we really don't have much idea how the organization's prospects will fare.

The offense probably won't do as much as it did in 2010. Chris McMurray will likely be the only catcher retained. Kahaulelio might be promoted. Negron will be in AAA. Sean Henry is gone. Dave Sappelt will be in AAA. The pitching is where the big difference will have to be. The rotation will get a ton of groundballs, but there isn't a 'stopper'. The success of the rotation will heavily rely on the infield defense. Unfortunately, the bullpen doesn't inspire much hope. But you never know. A year of grooming could go a long way for any of those guys.

CF Felix Perez - downgrade from Sappelt
    LF Josh Fellhauer - downgrade from Sean Henry
    2B Cody Puckett - upgrade from Kahaulelio (or maybe Kahaulelio doesn't advance)
    1B Nefi Soto - upgrade from Eric Eymann
    RF Kyle Day - upgrade from Phipps
    3B Alex Buchholz - downgrade from Costanzo, or Costanzo could get most of the playing time; maybe Campbell will surprise
    C Kevin Coddington - downgrade from Chris Denove
    SS Miguel Rojas - downgrade from Negron

C Chris McMurray
    1B/3B Mike Costanzo
    1B/3B Carlos Mendez
    3B Eric Campbell
    SS Miguel Rojas
    OF David Cook
    OF Denis Phipps

SP Dallas Buck
    SP Tom Cochran
    SP Matt Fairel
    SP Scott Carroll
    SP Jordan Hotchkiss
    SP Matt Klinker
    SP Travis Webb
    SP/RP Brad Boxberger

RP Donnie Joseph
    RP Justin Freeman
    RP Jeff Jeffords
    RP Derrik Lutz
    RP Aguido Gonzalez
    RP Mace Thurman
    RP Jerry Gil
    RP Ruben Medina

-The Insider-

We've had great players in the past two seasons but just haven't fully put it together. Remember, in the first half of 2009, we weren't eliminated until the final couple of days.

As for your assessment on who is going to be there in 2011, everything looks good but Lutz likely won't break camp and I think Gil will be in Triple-A this year. And it'll be interesting to see who sticks in in the starting staff. I think Klink will go to Triple-A, and same with Cochran, because they really have nothing else to do in Double-A. A staff of Carroll, Fairel, Buck, Hotkiss, and Webb isn't horrible. Not great, but could do some good.

cinreds,

Now how is it that you spelled Hotchkiss...Hotkiss? Is there something here you need to share?

Uh-oh. He's busted. I knew it was only a matter of time. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

-The Insider-

You guys got me. But let it be known that I only go for pitchers of the year. I do have standards.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

You guys got me. But let it be known that I only go for pitchers of the year. I do have standards.
    I really wish there were still rep points for posts like this one. Thanks for the laugh.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I really wish there were still rep points for posts like this one. Thanks for the laugh.
    No problem sir, I do what I can.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    C Chris McMurray
    1B/3B Mike Costanzo
    1B/3B Carlos Mendez
    3B Eric Campbell
    SS Miguel Rojas
    OF David Cook
    OF Denis Phipps

SP Dallas Buck
    SP Tom Cochran
    SP Matt Fairel
    SP Scott Carroll
    SP Jordan Hotchkiss
    SP Matt Klinker
    SP Travis Webb
    SP/RP Brad Boxberger

RP Donnie Joseph
    RP Justin Freeman
    RP Jeff Jeffords
    RP Derrik Lutz
    RP Aguido Gonzalez
    RP Mace Thurman
    RP Jerry Gil
    RP Ruben Medina
    I'm guessing Soto plays at least some catcher while also playing some 1B and DHing. He's a slugger who may very well blossom into a Mesoraco or Sappelt type prospect. He has that upside.

This would also allow Costanzo and Campbell to play the corner infield spots. Both are veteran prospects, and, while neither is likely to see much time elsewhere, they should be better than last season. (Their production should be markedly better than the 730-ish OPS provided by Alonso, Eymann, Costanza, Mendez, and company last season at 1B.)

At 2B, Cody Puckett should mash. He could also blossom into a 850-900 OPS monster, a la Dave Sappelt. That would better last season's 2B production by 100 points. (Puckett, IMO, is the pick to click in AA this season. He's seriously undervalued.)

I'm betting Kris Negron stays put in AA, as Zach Cozart is in AAA along with 2B Valaika and Mike Griffin. There's no room in the inn for Negron despite his good numbers last season. That's good news for Carolina, as he was solid offensively last year. He's supposedly good with the glove, too.

At C, Soto and McMurray wouldn't be bad, though they won't approach last season's catcher's numbers. Kevin Coddington and Jordan Wideman both struggled last season, but Coddington had a very good year in 2009, so there's some hope. Too, it's likely Yasmani Grandal plays well enough to either start the season in High A or at least play quite a bit there in the second half.

The OF spots are in flux. Like you, camisa, I think Perez is ticketed to AAA, but Kyle Day looks promising, if not phenomenal. Add him to Denis Phipps and David Cook and in looks okay, if not spectacular.

A batting order like the following would score some runs:
    Negron SS
    Puckett 2B
    Soto DH/C/1B
    Costanzo 1B/DH
    Campbell 3B
    Cook RF
    Day LF
    Phipps CF
    McMurray/ Coddington C

No great prospects, but a solid lineup. The defense should also be solid, as all three OF spots have played CF in the past. Add Negron at SS as a reportedly plus glove, too.

The pitching is the key, however. The relievers have a chance to be lights out, especially a possible Mace Thurman, Brad Boxberger, Donnie Joseph 7-9 innings. That would keep the starters innings down, assuming, of course, they can stay healthy. I suspect both Horst and Klinker will make the AAA rotation (along with Reneike, LeCure, and Maloney). That would mean Darry Thompson, Dallas Buck, Matt Fairel, Scott Carroll, and Jordan Hotchkiss as the starters with Tom Cochran as the sixth starter. While questionable health-wise, they do have some talent.

A good manager could probably go a few games above .500 with the squad as is, assuming health and no trades between now and the beginning of the year.

The rose goes in the front.

-The Insider-

I don't get it.

Turn Off Ads?