Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Russia gets 2018 World Cup, Qatar gets 2022 World Cup

Re: Russia gets 2018 World Cup, Qatar gets 2022 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    If they catch you kissing on the beach they'll throw your ass in prison.
    But we can all bring our vuvuzelas, right?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Siberia and the Middle East ... I know that's where I would choose to have MY World Cup.

Fifa and sports in general are honestly giving politics a run for it's money in terms of corruption lately.

Quite pathetic and sad.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Siberia and the Middle East ... I know that's where I would choose to have MY World Cup.
    Or, as a friend pointed out on Facebook today:

What the hell are three million people going to do when the game is over? Drink in the street? Yeah that's illegal over there.
    This is a serious Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot decision for FIFA (and one that I can only assume, given the corruption of the organization, made a lot of officials very wealthy). They're holding what amounts to the biggest sporting event in the world, and by extension the biggest party for sports fans in the world, in a country where fun is pretty much illegal. Alcohol consumption is limited to a very small number of bars and clubs and strictly prohibited in public (as is appearing under the influence in public). Yup, sounds like the perfect place for football fans to gather from around the world.

Oh, and on top of that, we're also talking about a country that is buddy-buddy with Iran. Sounds like the perfect place to go spend a week or two for an American.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

petrodollars speak.

I'd like to put a watch on the bank accounts of the FIFA voters and see if they light up like skyrockets. Russia at least has a modicum of believability as a WC host, but Qatar? Somebody got a lot of money for this.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Could the 94 World Cup hold the attendance record because the stadiums. According to Wiki the smallest stadium in 94 was RFK around 53000 while the largest was the Rose Bowl at 91000. To compare look at Germany which did have some larger venues (Berlin checking in at 74000) but the majority of stadiums were under RFK's capacity.

To be honest it would make much more sense to hold the cup in a developed nation. It may seem biased and unfair but if you put the cup in America, France, England, Japan, Germany, etc. the infrastructure is already there and the stadiums for the most part are there as well.
    Well yes, the large stadium capacities played a big role in the tournaments success, but that's sort of the point. Even in soccer mad countries like Germany and England, there aren't multiple 100,000 seat stadiums to play the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Qatar released its map for the venues in the 2022 World Cup.

Seriously though, the third largest city in Qatar has a population of 30,000.
    http://population.mongabay.com/population/qatar

For comparison's sake, Bloomington IN, the music video setting of a certain John Mellancamp song, has a population of 69,000.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I think I read that every stadium will be in Doha and they are all within about 35 miles of each other. Something like 85% of the population lives in Doha or the surrounding areas.

Qatar is just a pathetic decision. Of all the developed nations, Qatar may have been the WORST possible choice. There are already endless geographical, political, and cultural issues -- and we're still 12 years away from the event! Given the volatile nature of the Middle East, especially regarding politics and religion, I can only assume there will be more issues ahead.

FIFA is becoming more corrupt than boxing in the 1940's.

EDIT: Does Qatar even have a quality World Cup soccer team?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Qatar is just a pathetic decision. Of all the developed nations, Qatar may have been the WORST possible choice. There are already endless geographical, political, and cultural issues -- and we're still 12 years away from the event! Given the volatile nature of the Middle East, especially regarding politics and religion, I can only assume there will be more issues ahead.

FIFA is becoming more corrupt than boxing in the 1940's.

EDIT: Does Qatar even have a quality World Cup soccer team?
    No. I believe they are ranked 117th and have never qualified for the WC.

There is a pretty funny Youtube clip of a Qatar player missing a wide open goal against Uzbekistan a couple months ago. I'm too lazy to go find it, but it's pretty funny.

I saw a tweet that Sepp Blatter just bought a $150 million dollar villa in Italy. I haven't found a story to corroborate yet, but it wouldn't be surprising.

Now, I'm angry that we didn't get the Cup for selfish reasons (I wanted to go to some games), but it does make some sense to take the game to emerging soccer markets. Russia has been improving greatly lately, and the Middle East is a huge market and has been funding the Premier League for years now (along w/ Abromovich from Russia....). So, remember that every time you fill up your car, a small portion of that money goes to paying for the 2022 WC!
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I saw a tweet that Sepp Blatter just bought a $150 million dollar villa in Italy. I haven't found a story to corroborate yet, but it wouldn't be surprising.

Now, I'm angry that we didn't get the Cup for selfish reasons (I wanted to go to some games), but it does make some sense to take the game to emerging soccer markets. Russia has been improving greatly lately, and the Middle East is a huge market and has been funding the Premier League for years now (along w/ Abromovich from Russia....). So, remember that every time you fill up your car, a small portion of that money goes to paying for the 2022 WC!
    In general, I think its good to have the World Cup in places that haven't had the opportunity before, and one thing Qatar has going for it is the high number of foreign workers there. However, I think there are or should be minimum requirements that the host country must meet which were totally ignored here. There's a lot of talk from FIFA about bringing the World together. Yet Qatar denies entrance to anyone carrying an Israeli passport. They've said Israeli fans would be allowed in IF Israel qualifies, but why should that be a requirement. I'm sure there are plenty of Israelis that still root for teams from their birth countries. The host of the World Cup should not be allowed to deny entry to fans based on nationality.

What about female fans? Will they be permitted to travel freely without harassment? Will they be required to have a male chaperon? Will they have to sit in segregated sections? Will Larissa Riquelme have to wear a burqa? I think those are important questions that should have been answered in the bidding process as many of those who attend the World Cup are women.

Blatter likes to say he's bringing the World Cup to the Middle East, but I really think he's brought it to the wealthy international businessmen.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

No. I believe they are ranked 117th and have never qualified for the WC.

There is a pretty funny Youtube clip of a Qatar player missing a wide open goal against Uzbekistan a couple months ago. I'm too lazy to go find it, but it's pretty funny.
    I read somewhere that Qatar has opened an international soccer academy. With Qatar's number of actual citizens less than 1 million, its unlikely that such an academy would be able to produce many world-class professional players. Thus the real purpose of the academy is probably to invite players from developing countries (Africa) and provide the better players with jobs for their families and a fast track toward Qatari citizenship. Don't be surprised if the Qatar national team for 2022 features a lot of naturalized citizens.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    That'd be funny considering he hates Italy. He wasn't even on hand to give them the World Cup trophy when they won in 2006. Too busy so he sent his second in command.

FIFA is a huge joke. Maybe the most corrupt sports organization in existence.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?