Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Form of Life Discovered

Re: New Form of Life Discovered

I just got done with a Microbiology course last term, so I find this fascinating. Many bacteria have evolved to live in even the most inhospitable conditions, from temperatures as high as 350 deg. C to toxic conditions like those in Mono Lake. So, while the term "extremophile" may sound new, it's a pretty common term for Microbiologists and just means an organism that loves the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They didn't just discover this organism on the ground. It was grown in a lab. This didn't happen with out "our training" as this article put it.
    You're right, it wasn't found on the ground. It was found in Mono Lake in California. The very first sentence says as much: "The bacterium, found in a California lake, uses the usually poisonous element arsenic in place of phosphorus." The part you're referring to talks about how they researched the microbe in the lab, not creating it. Knowing the bacterium is fastidious, they checked to see if it grew under the arsenic ric conditions, which it did.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Science fiction has long speculated that organisms in other worlds could be based on Silicon rather than carbon or another idea to ponder is that organisms could feed on ammonia rather than water. There possibilities are fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They didn't just discover this organism on the ground. It was grown in a lab. This didn't happen with out "our training" as this article put it.
    It was originally found in the lake. The lab work was the rigorous, scientific process of replicating the environment to make sure that they were seeing what they thought they were seeing, giving them a better opportunity to understand what exactly was going on.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I have always wondered why we concluded that "life" had to even be physical, let alone, identical to our physical makeup. I like to imagine that there are life forms somewhere, laughing at how we are tied to a physical body, and how limiting that is for us.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Scientists said Thursday that they had trained a bacterium to eat and grow on a diet of arsenic, in place of phosphorus
    This is what I got from the TIMES. Interesting, but hardly groundbreaking. Give the bug arsenic and in absence of phosphorus, it will use the arsenic.

The next step is to substitute silicon for carbon and grow a rock. Or boobs.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with that.
    Ugh. She's a walking Valtrex ad.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

She is very skeevy. Makes Lady Gaga look like Princess Di.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Am I getting old if I didn't know who that was without checking the image link?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Yes.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Same here.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

"Skank" is all you need to know about that girl.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    "Skank" is all you need to know about that girl.
    Her music is auto-tuned club-crap, but really is there anything to suggest that she leads a lifestyle anything like the songs she sings? Of all the popsters out there, I think her name comes up the least relative to the amount of airplay that she gets.

Maybe I just don't pay attention closely enough.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?