Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

0 0%
  • Drew Cisco

2 3.13%
  • Daniel Corcino

0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

8 12.50%
  • Danny Dorn

0 0%
  • Mariekson Gregorius

0 0%
  • Jordan Hotchkiss

2 3.13%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Matt Klinker

1 1.56%
  • Sam Lecure

21 32.81%
  • Kris Negron

5 7.81%
  • Felix Perez

1 1.56%
  • Henry Rodriguez

2 3.13%
  • Neftali Soto

3 4.69%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

1 1.56%
  • Daryl Thompson

1 1.56%
  • Ronald Torreyes

17 26.56%
  • Kyle Waldrop

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

Are the days of Soto at 3rd or catcher over?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Are the days of Soto at 3rd or catcher over?
    I wouldn't completely rule out catcher--he may be getting some instruction this off-season--but it seems 3B is no longer his position.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    At some point though, you need to include not just the level of the ceiling but the likelihood of it being reached. Perhaps I'm selling Soto short, but I have trouble getting too excited about guys who put up mediocre numbers in the minors at an appropriate age.

If you asked me to go down that list and project an average expectation of total career major league production, LeCure grades out pretty well.
    Not that this should be a reason to vote for LeCure, but I think that one of the most important skills that a winning organization must have is the ability to constantly churn out players like LeCure. This allows the team to spend all of its payflex on filling starting positions, not filling out a bullpen or bench.

Players like LeCure may seem like fodder, but if they are homegrown, they have significant value.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Players like LeCure have definite value, as long as you don't depend on them.

But ask yourself this: would you be happy if the Reds dealt Torreyes for Blake Hawksworth? There are ten guys I'd vote before LeCure, by that method.

And I think it's a pretty good method to determine value.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Players like LeCure have definite value, as long as you don't depend on them.

But ask yourself this: would you be happy if the Reds dealt Torreyes for Blake Hawksworth? There are ten guys I'd vote before LeCure, by that method.

And I think it's a pretty good method to determine value.
    Here is what I said on the matter in another thread:

If the Reds traded prospect like Duran for LeCure 100 times, I would imagine that the trades would overall work out around even.

Basically, you would get slightly above replacement level production for a few years, 100 times. And with Duran like prospects, you would get nothing around 50 times, around or slightly above replacement level production around 20 times, around league average production around 20 times, and above league average production around 10 times.

I'm not doing the math, but I think it would work out to be around even overall.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

LeCure again. At some point, being a bona fide major leaguer, even one with a low ceiling puts you ahead of a bunch of question marks in the low minors.
    My thoughts exactly.

At some point though, you need to include not just the level of the ceiling but the likelihood of it being reached. Perhaps I'm selling Soto short, but I have trouble getting too excited about guys who put up mediocre numbers in the minors at an appropriate age.

If you asked me to go down that list and project an average expectation of total career major league production, LeCure grades out pretty well.

Torreyes beating the crap out of the Venezuelan summer league and Rookie ball makes me raise an eyebrow, but I need more than a few hundred plate appearances at the lowest levels of professional baseball.
    Did not vote for either of them yet and do not plan to for a few .
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?