Rather than think of hypothetical trades inolving hypothetical prospects, I think it would be interesting to look at the most logical candidates for a Yonder Alonso trade.
Alonso is clearly the Reds' most tradeable chip, as even if they can't re-sign Votto to a LTC, I can't imagine they are going to let Alonso sit around in AAA (or on the bench) for the next 3+ years. IMO, that would be a waste of resources.
So what teams make the most sense for Alonso? Once we figure that out, we can look at who the Reds might seek in return.
1. Diamondbacks (now out of the Konerko bidding, but still dangling Upton)
2. D-Rays (could use a young 1B to complement their core)
3. Pirates (need to start building somewhere)
4. Rockies (Helton isn't getting younger or better)
5. Dodgers (Loney is not giving acceptable production and was reportedly a non-tender candidate)
6. Rangers (have a hole there after dealing Smoak for Lee)
7. Cubs (holes everywhere, will Reds make a deal in the division?)
8. Angels (probably will look to upgrade with a more proven/expensive vet)
Who DOESN'T make sense
1. Cardinals (Pujols)
2. Yankees (Texiera)
3. Phillies (Howard)
4. Mets (Davis)
5. Royals (Butler/Hosmer)
6. Tigers (Cabrera)
7. Braves (Freeman)
8. Mariners (Smoak)
9. Marlins (Morrison)
10. A's (Barton/Carter)
11. White Sox (Dunn/Konerko?)
12. Twins (Morneau)
13. Astros (Wallace)
Who COULD make sense if their high-priced player leaves
1. Padres (Gonzalez)
2. Brewers (Fielder)
After this analysis, it looks like Arizona and Tampa are the two best destinations for Alonso. Arizona could also use pitching, and a deal for Upton built around Alonso and Leake makes a ton of sense for both sides. Tampa does not need pitching, and a straight up deal for Jason Bartlett might make some sense here, although I'd prefer to get a LF and the Rays don't have any interest in trading Jennings. Maybe an Alonso for BJ Upton deal could make some sense? Upton could play LF and solve the leadoff problem, although his production has been trending the wrong way. I'd rather have his brother, but I could settle for BJ if it would only cost Alonso + one or two others (Heisey?). I also wouldn't mind buying low on Tim Beckham, but more as a throw-in to a deal than anything else. Thoughts? Am I missing an obvious destination?