Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justin Upton

Justin Upton

Ok guys, I was reading up in ORG about Jusin Upton ideas, and I think since the guy is available this team should seriously trade for him and bat him lead off and left field.

Ok I know he strikes out at a high high rate. But his OBP is about .350-.360 which is good enough and I see him Improving his Strike out ratio as he is only 23.

I would rather the Reds trade for him If they cannot commit dollars to Carl Crawford. Also if the Reds find a SS who can lead off and steal bases then they could move Upton down in the Lineup.

I think 1B Yonder Alonso, RHP Edinson Volquez, and 3 other Prospects could get this done.

You wouldnt have to trade Leake, Cueto, or Bruce in this scenerio so do not go there. When has a team given away established talent for a player like this who is 23 and not a consistent .300-30-100-100 run guy...

Cliff Lee cost Smoak and some also rans

Carlos Beltran cost John Buck, an ok Catcher and 2 other also rans...

Curtis Granderson cost a Minor league outfield "prospect" Austin Jackson and Phil Coke, a reliever & another pitcher already traded.

Cameron Maybin cost 2 relievers who could be great...

Dan Uggla Cost Infante, Dunn, and another pitcher...

So as you see, Upton is not going to net Leake, Bruce, Chapman, Joseph, and Fransicso as a starting point.

Upton is still going to be considered a Salary Dump, but not like a Manny Ramierez Salary Dump, there is obviously still potential.

From another Big Bat in the works to be traded....

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb...ory?id=5880440

Trading Gonzalez now would allow Hoyer to address the multiple holes the club has entering the season while acquiring low-cost players that would remain under the team's control for up to six years.

According to the source familiar with the negotiations, the proposed deal centers only on minor leaguers, meaning the Red Sox would not lose star young reliever Daniel Bard. Hoyer and his assistant, Jason McLeod, who served as Boston's scouting director until going to San Diego, are intimately familiar with the Red Sox system. They almost certainly would seek pitcher Casey Kelly and first baseman Anthony Rizzo in any deal, with outfielder Ryan Kalish, shortstop Jose Iglesias, outfielder Josh Riddick, 19-year-old outfielder Reymond Fuentes, pitcher Stolmy Pimentel, and catcher Ryan Lavarnway also potential targets.

So you see where the "proposed" deal centers only on Minor Leaguers... In todays market, the Reds will not have to part with Leake, Chapman, Bruce, etc to trade for OF Justin Upton...
    Last edited by Hondo; 12-03-2010 at 06:38 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Justin Upton

Volquez for Jason Kubel
    Bailey, Alonso, Frazier, Yorman for Grienke

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Volquez for Jason Kubel
    Grienke for 2 of our top 5 and 3 of our top 10 prospects?????

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Our minors and draft picks netted us Votto, Bruce, Hanigan, Cueto, Leake, Bailey, Ondrusek, Heisey, Stubbs, etc...........and is a huge reason this team has turned it around, and now so many people on Redszone are so ready to trade it all away.

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Volquez for Jason Kubel
    You're kidding me, right?

...right?

i would be all for getting justin upton but alonso, volquez and 3 prospects seems a bit much.

i mean upton is basically a young player who has shown flashes of brilliance with some inconsistency. well volquez is the same player pretty much from the SP spot.

alonso is our top prospect. him/maloney/some lower level guy should do imo for this.

or volquez + 1 lower level prospect.

in the OP example i think the dbacks have a steal.
    Last edited by webbbj; 12-04-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Tough to gauge what is required to get him. You have to remember he is signed through 2015, so any guy on your list that had a short term deal you can't really compare to Upton. Plus he is also really young. His deal works out to just under $10 million a year for the next 5 years, which is pretty good for a player like him.

The closest on your list is Granderson. Yet Austin Jackson is pretty good (he was voted the Yankees best prospect, and almost won rookie of the year), and you left off Ian Kennedy (kind of important since he was a major prospect at the time, and still is). So you are looking at 2 big time prospects that the Yankees gave up (both top 25-50 prospects in baseball type guys, that is a lot). It was a 3 team deal and in essence the Tigers gave away Edwin Jackson and Kennedy for more prospects. Yet the Yankees gave up Jackson, Coke, and Kennedy to get Granderson.

For the Reds, Alonso is one, but I am not sure of the value of Volquez at this point. Perhaps you are right, but it would definitely take Alonso and a high rated arm to get Upton at the very least. Just because the Tigers did something like that does not mean the DBacks will or are asking the same price.
    Last edited by scott91575; 12-04-2010 at 04:13 AM.

rather have bj upton. would cost much less in money and prospects. has 3 straight seasons of 40+ steals even with a rather low obp. i think its a great buy low opportunity with a high upside. this is his 1st year arbitration eligible, he is 25 and he isnt a FA until after 2013.

Alonso, Heisey & Janish for Upton and Bartlett

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    You wouldnt have to trade Leake, Cueto, or Bruce in this scenerio so do not go there. When has a team given away established talent for a player like this who is 23 and not a consistent .300-30-100-100 run guy...

Cliff Lee cost Smoak and some also rans

Carlos Beltran cost John Buck, an ok Catcher and 2 other also rans...

Curtis Granderson cost a Minor league outfield "prospect" Austin Jackson and Phil Coke, a reliever & another pitcher already traded.

Cameron Maybin cost 2 relievers who could be great...

Dan Uggla Cost Infante, Dunn, and another pitcher...

So as you see, Upton is not going to net Leake, Bruce, Chapman, Joseph, and Fransicso as a starting point.

Upton is still going to be considered a Salary Dump, but not like a Manny Ramierez Salary Dump, there is obviously still potential.
    Actually, you're taking those trades out of context. All of those trades were either rentals or small-market teams looking to get cost savings. Upton is cost controlled through 2015. The closest thing to a Justin Upton trade would be the Roberto Alomar trade where he was dealt for two All-Stars in their primes. I don't think you're looking at dealing Votto for Upton, but at least you're probably going to have to part with Bruce or Philips and a few top prospects. That's why the guy isn't getting moved.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    Actually, you're taking those trades out of context. All of those trades were either rentals or small-market teams looking to get cost savings. Upton is cost controlled through 2015. The closest thing to a Justin Upton trade would be the Roberto Alomar trade where he was dealt for two All-Stars in their primes. I don't think you're looking at dealing Votto for Upton, but at least you're probably going to have to part with Bruce or Philips and a few top prospects. That's why the guy isn't getting moved.
    You are really going to compare Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez to the San Diego Padres for Roberto Alomar and Joe Carter going to the Toronto Blue Jays?

I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by urdun View Post
    rather have bj upton. would cost much less in money and prospects. has 3 straight seasons of 40+ steals even with a rather low obp. i think its a great buy low opportunity with a high upside. this is his 1st year arbitration eligible, he is 25 and he isnt a FA until after 2013.

Alonso, Heisey & Janish for Upton and Bartlett
    Now that would be a good trade!

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Tough to gauge what is required to get him. You have to remember he is signed through 2015, so any guy on your list that had a short term deal you can't really compare to Upton. Plus he is also really young. His deal works out to just under $10 million a year for the next 5 years, which is pretty good for a player like him.

The closest on your list is Granderson. Yet Austin Jackson is pretty good (he was voted the Yankees best prospect, and almost won rookie of the year), and you left off Ian Kennedy (kind of important since he was a major prospect at the time, and still is). So you are looking at 2 big time prospects that the Yankees gave up (both top 25-50 prospects in baseball type guys, that is a lot). It was a 3 team deal and in essence the Tigers gave away Edwin Jackson and Kennedy for more prospects. Yet the Yankees gave up Jackson, Coke, and Kennedy to get Granderson.

For the Reds, Alonso is one, but I am not sure of the value of Volquez at this point. Perhaps you are right, but it would definitely take Alonso and a high rated arm to get Upton at the very least. Just because the Tigers did something like that does not mean the DBacks will or are asking the same price.
    Yes but Austin Jackson wasn't an established Major Leaguer so he is in the same range as Yonder Alonso...

Also look at the Adrian Gonzalez trade. No Major Leaguers.

Yes but Austin Jackson wasn't an established Major Leaguer so he is in the same range as Yonder Alonso...

Also look at the Adrian Gonzalez trade. No Major Leaguers.
    Gonzalez has one year left on his deal. Again, not really comparable.

I already admitted Jackson was essentially equal to Alonso, but Ian Kennedy was still a top prospect while I am not sure Volquez has that same value.

You are really going to compare Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez to the San Diego Padres for Roberto Alomar and Joe Carter going to the Toronto Blue Jays?

I rest my case.
    Much more wrong to compare it to any of the trades you mentioned. Justin Upton trade isn't anything like those; he has a perennial All-Star/Hall of Fame ceiling and his floor is likely around where his contract is right now.

As much as you'd like to have it be that way; teams don't accept a couple of unproven prospects for potential Hall of Famers that have team-friendly contracts for the next five years.

Even with Gonzalez, the Sox only get him for one year on his current contract, but are likely to extend him with Teixeira-like money. That's totally different from what a team would have to do if they traded for Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    Much more wrong to compare it to any of the trades you mentioned. Justin Upton trade isn't anything like those; he has a perennial All-Star/Hall of Fame ceiling and his floor is likely around where his contract is right now.

As much as you'd like to have it be that way; teams don't accept a couple of unproven prospects for potential Hall of Famers that have team-friendly contracts for the next five years.

Even with Gonzalez, the Sox only get him for one year on his current contract, but are likely to extend him with Teixeira-like money. That's totally different from what a team would have to do if they traded for Upton.
    I disagree. Even though he is under control through 2015, its at $51 Million...

And you're getting the cart before the horse on "potential Hall of Famers" here for a guy who is 23

Turn Off Ads?