Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will the Reds land a leadoff hitter/LF this offseason and how?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they will; via trade

14 26.92%
  • Yes, they will; via free agent signing

7 13.46%
  • No, they won't; they'll look to in-house options

31 59.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left fielder/leadoff hitter

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Left fielder/leadoff hitter

It's no secret the Reds' top priority this offseason is to find a leadoff hitter/LF ... even the usually tight-lipped Jocketty has said as much. Therefore, do you think the Reds will end up trading for one, finding one via free agency, or perhaps not finding one at all (at least not an everyday starter type that will get a lot of fans excited).

What say thee?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Left fielder/leadoff hitter

Believe it'l be a trade. One of the Red's young pitchers for a left handed hitting outfielder. A poster on another board had a interesting idea. A lot of ifs involved but here goes. The Rangers have five left handed hitting outfielders on their roster. One of them would be ideal, Julio Borbon. The reasoning being that "IF" the Rangers can't re-sign Lee they will be in the market for a pitcher. He suggested Bailey. Being Bailey's ;from Texas Nolan Ryan should jump all over it.

Anyone interested in Johnny Damon on a 1 year deal or even a 1 year with a mutual option?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Anyone interested in Johnny Damon on a 1 year deal or even a 1 year with a mutual option?
    Yes, but he'd need to drop below $4 Million for the Reds to get him IMO and I think he'll get more. He's exactly the kind of guy I'm thinking of when I say that the Reds should have passed on Ramon. If the Reds went cheaper behind the plate, they'd probably have the money to get him.

I think it'll be Gomes, Heisey and a scrap heap LH bat with Gomes getting most of the PT.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yes, but he'd need to drop below $4 Million for the Reds to get him IMO and I think he'll get more. He's exactly the kind of guy I'm thinking of when I say that the Reds should have passed on Ramon. If the Reds went cheaper behind the plate, they'd probably have the money to get him.

I think it'll be Gomes, Heisey and a scrap heap LH bat with Gomes getting most of the PT.
    Damon had a big decline in power last season, and was even worse in the field than usual. He's more of a fourth outfielder/part time DH these days.

I'm not even sure he gets a $4M offer, but also not sure he's the best fit for the Reds.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Damon had a big decline in power last season, and was even worse in the field than usual. He's more of a fourth outfielder/part time DH these days.

I'm not even sure he gets a $4M offer, but also not sure he's the best fit for the Reds.
    His .355 OBP would be far better than anyone at the top of the Reds order. His power drop was predictable going from Yankee Stadium to Detroit. He'd probably get a litte boost on the NL and GABP. His defense sucks, but if he fills a major role on offense (lead-off) when all the other options are inadequate, it would solve at least one problem. Defense in LF is inadequate anyway. Damon getting on in front of Votto and Bruce is a strength a team can build a championship around. Even though they topped the NL in runs last year, the offense really wasn't a strength like that and the added potency of the combination would actually make a dent in the likely production drop we're going to see in multiple positions in 2011. I'm guessing that Damon in GABP and the NL Central would go .285/.370/.440/.810

I'm really hoping for Damon. I fear the alternative is Scott Podsednik and frankly, I'd rather just have Gomes than Pods.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    His .355 OBP would be far better than anyone at the top of the Reds order. His power drop was predictable going from Yankee Stadium to Detroit. He'd probably get a litte boost on the NL and GABP. His defense sucks, but if he fills a major role on offense (lead-off) when all the other options are inadequate, it would solve at least one problem. Defense in LF is inadequate anyway. Damon getting on in front of Votto and Bruce is a strength a team can build a championship around. Even though they topped the NL in runs last year, the offense really wasn't a strength like that and the added potency of the combination would actually make a dent in the likely production drop we're going to see in multiple positions in 2011. I'm guessing that Damon in GABP and the NL Central would go .285/.370/.440/.810

I'm really hoping for Damon. I fear the alternative is Scott Podsednik and frankly, I'd rather just have Gomes than Pods.
    Offensively, he'd be a big upgrade for the Reds, I agree. But I'm not sure he can even play defense on a regular basis anymore. He reminds me of Griffey at the end when I see him in the field.

I' m not against the Reds signing him, but he would have his limitations.

Offensively, he'd be a big upgrade for the Reds, I agree. But I'm not sure he can even play defense on a regular basis anymore. He reminds me of Griffey at the end when I see him in the field.

I' m not against the Reds signing him, but he would have his limitations.
    He's not as bad as Griffey at the end. I've never seen an OF that bad. He's probably still better than Gomes.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Wow, I hope the pessimists that voted in this poll are wrong. And I think they will be. Even Jocketty came out and said he was looking for a leadoff hitter/LF. I don't think he was referring to in-house options.

What about Fred Lewis? Non-tendered by the Blue Jays. Should cost next-to-nothing. Decent OBP and he could platoon with Heisey. Kind of a more established Chris Dickerson. Might make sense if we really are up against payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    What about Fred Lewis? Non-tendered by the Blue Jays. Should cost next-to-nothing. Decent OBP and he could platoon with Heisey. Kind of a more established Chris Dickerson. Might make sense if we really are up against payroll.
    Yeah I like Lewis as the 5th OF I can't see any downside.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wow, I hope the pessimists that voted in this poll are wrong. And I think they will be. Even Jocketty came out and said he was looking for a leadoff hitter/LF. I don't think he was referring to in-house options.
    Yes, but the poll refers to this offseason, not by the trade deadline.

I'm not sure I want to spend our last few dollars on Damon..
    I'd pass, not sure he's that much of an upgrade from Gomes.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Cross one more leadoff hitter off the list..

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...patterson.html

Cross one more leadoff hitter off the list..

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...patterson.html
    Ha ha...ech!
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?