Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cards Sign Berkman

Re: Cards Sign Berkman

I love Mozeliak being the Cardinals GM.. That's about all I can say.

They have to have one of the worst defensive ball clubs in all of MLB now. Let's see how that plays with Jake Westbrook and whatever other scrubs they have going after the top two starters.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I love Mozeliak being the Cardinals GM..
    Well....at least you and I can agree on one thing. For different reasons of course. lol

The Cardinals are not married to Berkman playing an extraordinary number of games as an outfielder. They have players in place in case this project fails, and reason enough to believe that Berkman could earn his money in other ways. I think La Russa likes the guy as a hitter off the bench and an insurance policy if Albert blows out a knee. To tinker with Holliday by having him shift from left to right to accomidate Berkman's outfield defense raises an eyebrow. But, when you are as so behind the Cincinnati Reds at so many positions on a 25 man roster, one cannot be blamed for taking chances like this one. It was a good acquisition by St. Louis.

I'm starting to think his defense won't be as bad as everyone is assuming. He will likely be playing LF....not RF. The Cardinals gave Berkman a physical yesterday, and his knees looked good. He also lost weight, so that should help his knees. The potential of power that he will provide this line-up could make up for any lack in defense. The more I think about this deal, the more I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    The Cardinals are not married to Berkman playing an extraordinary number of games as an outfielder. They have players in place in case this project fails, and reason enough to believe that Berkman could earn his money in other ways. I think La Russa likes the guy as a hitter off the bench and an insurance policy if Albert blows out a knee. To tinker with Holliday by having him shift from left to right to accomidate Berkman's outfield defense raises an eyebrow. But, when you are as so behind the Cincinnati Reds at so many positions on a 25 man roster, one cannot be blamed for taking chances like this one. It was a good acquisition by St. Louis.
    I don't think they spent $8M for that. If they did, then it was not a good acquisition.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    I'm starting to think his defense won't be as bad as everyone is assuming. He will likely be playing LF....not RF. The Cardinals gave Berkman a physical yesterday, and his knees looked good. He also lost weight, so that should help his knees. The potential of power that he will provide this line-up could make up for any lack in defense. The more I think about this deal, the more I like it.
    I don't think folks are assuming anything. The facts are already in evidence. He will be a poor left-fielder. If he plays significant games there, it will cost the Cards many runs. I watched OFers like him play in a small ballpark for 3-4 years and it wasn't pretty. He is going to be playing LF in Busch, a bigger ballpark than GAB. It ain't gonna be pretty. And if he ends up playing 1B more than a few games? That means Albert's hurt and the Cards are in trouble. The more I think about it, the more I see desparation.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Best comment I've seen on this subject (and one of the best I've seen on anything for that matter), per someone on Twitter:

"The Cardinals like L. Berkman so much they're going to put a statue of him in the OF this year."

Awesome.

Great because it's true... Any Cards fan happy with this signing should flashback to how their team beat the Reds all last season... Hit the ball towards Gomes. They have the same thing now, but worse...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Maybe folks at Cardinalsfest should ask Albert about moving to LF or 3B to make room for Berkman. After all, it will make their lineup better, and if he were a team player he would do it without complaint.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Maybe folks at Cardinalsfest should ask Albert about moving to LF or 3B to make room for Berkman. After all, it will make their lineup better, and if he were a team player he would do it without complaint.
    I don't think Pujols has the arm to play anywhere else but first. Remember the injured arm he has. The Cards will not risk that. At third? No chance.

Does this make sense??

Appears to me that if Berkman plays left his defense won't kill his overall value too much because ...well because there aren't a lot of good defensive LFers in the game. Where i see a big reduction is with Holliday's defense. His dWAR has been average compared to other LFers, but if he goes to right then i think you could see a major reduction in his overall value. Essentially the Cards OF will have to hit at a pretty good rate to make up for that kind of adjustment. There are some really good RFers who can play defense.

It couldn't hurt... or so I hear.:

While we're on RZ memes, let's go ahead and drive this one into the ground: How would Chris Carpenter explain Pujols' positional move to his kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Does this make sense??

Appears to me that if Berkman plays left his defense won't kill his overall value too much because ...well because there aren't a lot of good defensive LFers in the game. Where i see a big reduction is with Holliday's defense. His dWAR has been average compared to other LFers, but if he goes to right then i think you could see a major reduction in his overall value. Essentially the Cards OF will have to hit at a pretty good rate to make up for that kind of adjustment. There are some really good RFers who can play defense.
    Excellent post! You make a lot of good points, and I agree. It's Holliday's defense in RF that might be the problem. Berkman can't play RF, and I don't know if Holliday has ever played RF. The question is how will Holliday compar to Ludwick's defense in RF?

David Freese is our Third Baseman, and he isn't a bad defender. Now that Berkman is in the fold, Craig will be the backup Third baseman instead of platooning in RF. He is a below average Third baseman defensively, but still light years ahead of Felipe Lopez at 3B. I'd take Berkman in LF over Lopez at 3B anyday. If Freese and Berkman stay healthy, the the Cards lineup will be a lot better than the 2010 version.
    Last edited by MattyHo4Life; 12-05-2010 at 12:19 PM.

I got it.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Turn Off Ads?