Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cards sign Lance Berkman

Cards sign Lance Berkman

Per Ken Rosenthall.. Interesting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards sign Lance Berkman

Another move providing depth, though it looks like he will be starting outfielder. Could be used at 3rd as well. He isn't what he used to be but I sort of like a lineup that has Berkman, Pujols, Holliday, and Rasmus.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 12-04-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Well the Cards had a hole in Right Field so this is a good addition for them and could be a Great Move for Berkman.

Walt, the balls in your court.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Well the Cards had a hole in Right Field so this is a good addition for them and could be a Great Move for Berkman.

Walt, the balls in your court.
    Like a big chess game...Cincy, your move.

Berkman hasn't played the outfield in 4 years, and he was terrible at it then. He also coming off an injury filled sub-.800 OPS year.

Coming off the bench, for around $2-3M a year, maybe. As the starting LF for $8M? Just a God-awful, stupid move, imo.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Berkman hasn't played the outfield in 4 years, and he was terrible at it then. He also coming off an injury filled sub-.800 OPS year.

Coming off the bench, for around $2-3M a year, maybe. As the starting LF for $8M? Just a God-awful, stupid move, imo.
    Yeah, summed up pretty well ^. Skimming through Cards forums their fans seem to be pretty happy with a veteran bat but not too happy at the $$$ thrown at him and his OF defensive liability.

Congrats, the Cards now have the worst fielding outfield in baseball and got older in the process. I suppose he could give Albert a day off here and there, but right field? You actually need an arm out there. Right field is going to be triple alley. You think Holliday is bad in left, just wait for a guy with no range and no arm manning right field.

I do love this line though....

Berkman was traded to the Yankees on July 31 and helped them win the AL wild card
    That is so laughable I don't even know where to begin.
    Last edited by scott91575; 12-04-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Holliday's fielding isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Last year he led National League outfielders in Assists and was second in total putouts. He was also 4th in Range Factor/9 innings and Frange Factor per game. He looks awkward at times fielding but he is one of the better defensive left fielders in the NL. Considering that the .995 fielding percentage is the tops in left field in the NL, Holliday's .989 fielding percentage isn't that bad. He also had the most games in left field than anyone in the NL.

Also, if you take the Fielding Bible with any validity, Matt Holliday was voted on as the 5th best defensive LF in the game.

I don't like this move if I'm a Cards fan. Watching him the last two seasons, he just isn't the same player. Now put him in right field where he has rarley played in his career. It's not like the team needs alot of Veteran leadership either because they have Pujols, Carpenter, RightWain and Holliday. A definite head scratching move.

My first thought when I heard this is that they're worried about Puhols..... Then my second thought was "Oh &&%%$%^$&^%! Berkman's back in the Central"..... Always hated facing him.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Waste of money on a guy who is done playing the OF. Glad we have a bunch of lefthanded hitters. We'll keep him running all over the place in RF.

Shocking, stupid move, IMHO. Cards management looks scared and desperate to me.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

When the Reds trade for Choo as their new leadoff hitter, trade for Beltran to hit behind Votto, and trade for Greinke and Sir Felix Hernandez, it will be all over for the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    My first thought when I heard this is that they're worried about Puhols..... Then my second thought was "Oh &&%%$%^$&^%! Berkman's back in the Central"..... Always hated facing him.
    Yeah, he's owned the Reds in his career. He was 5H/30AB with 3 GDP vs. the Reds in 2010 so hopefully it's a sign of that changing.

Looks like Berkman is being shifted to Left Field and Holliday to right. I can understand the opinions here. Its just for some reason guys who everyone thinks have been washed up thrive in St. Louis. This pickup of Berkman almost has a Larry Walker feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Looks like Berkman is being shifted to Left Field and Holliday to right. I can understand the opinions here. Its just for some reason guys who everyone thinks have been washed up thrive in St. Louis. This pickup of Berkman almost has a Larry Walker feel to it.
    Except for the fact Walker had an OPS of 1.093 when he was traded to the Cards (it was Colorado, but still really good), and still had a cannon for an arm.
    Last edited by scott91575; 12-05-2010 at 05:56 AM.

Turn Off Ads?