Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Drought over for Tiger?

Re: Drought over for Tiger?

Tiger has a lot of haters out there. Makes for great theater.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, this is awesome. I guess I was ahead of the facts on the Tiger effect on Macdowell. He looked him in the face and didn't flinch. I'm becoming a Macdowell fan pretty quickly, except his Ryder Cup moment makes it awfully difficult.
    Last edited by MWM; 12-05-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Tiger has a lot of haters out there. Makes for great theater.
    Based on that crowds reaction they are very firmly in Tigers corner.

Graeme jars another one!
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Holy crap, Macdowell made the putt again.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

And game over. Graeme wins it.

Crap

Wow, just saw the playoff on DVR. I hope McDowell and Tiger battle all year in '11.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I hope someone emerges as a clear leader in '11. Two years ago, it looked like everything was there for Anthony Kim's taking with Tiger out with his knee injury. Now it's the Euros turn with Rory McIlroy, Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood and Graeme McDowell. It's unfortunate we don't get to see them play each week on the PGA Tour.

Golf is uninteresting not because there's a lack of talent right now. Golf is uninteresting because there's nobody else out there that commands people's attention like Tiger does.

Today was a great reminder that golf makes for supremely great theater.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-05-2010 at 06:38 PM.

I thought Tiger was great in his press conference afterwards. There were no sour grapes or "second place sucks" type of comments you usually see when he comes up short. He said he was proud of himself today even though he didn't win (something I never thought I'd hear him say), etc....

I also enjoyed watching McDowell's press conference. He's a good interview and a pretty good dude. I hope he continues next year where he left off.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Macdowell had to take an unplayable, so looks like Tiger will have a lead on the 18th tee.

I guess Tiger still hasn't lost his ability to make others rumble in his presence down the stretch. Macdowell has been the epitome of consistent in his play this year and this week. He's got a lead on Tiger with two holes to go and he doesn't just hit a poor shot, he hits an awful one that's going to make him lucky to walk away with a double. The Tiger effect is still strong it seems.
    Terrible tee shot that you attribute to the Tiger effect.

What caused the soon-after 20 ft putt to drop though. Discussion in here has been silent on that.

Look, this was a nice final day of the tournament thanks to Tiger being involved. But let's not give the guy too much credit when ever an opponent hits a horrid shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I thought Tiger was great in his press conference afterwards. There were no sour grapes or "second place sucks" type of comments you usually see when he comes up short. He said he was proud of himself today even though he didn't win (something I never thought I'd hear him say), etc....

I also enjoyed watching McDowell's press conference. He's a good interview and a pretty good dude. I hope he continues next year where he left off.
    Hopefully a great rivalry has begun.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 12-05-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Look, this was a nice final day of the tournament thanks to Tiger being involved. But let's not give the guy too much credit when ever an opponent hits a horrid shot.
    Yes, I said as much a few posts later.

When it happened, it had all the markings of what we've seen time and time again. Someone is paired up with Tiger in the final round and they wind up imploding down the stretch. McDowell had been playing consistently the entire tournament and all day Sunday. He missed some shots as is inevitable, but he comlpetely lost that one left in big trouble with 2 holes left and a lead.

I'd seen that movie before. But to his credit, he regrouped immediately, made a spectacular up and down followed by two straight birdies with everything on the line. Clearly he was not intimidated. But when it happened, it sure looked familiar.

I think my cache was messed up when I typed that mwm...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think my cache was messed up when I typed that mwm...sorry.

I wasn't worried about it. You were right, guys like Tiger sometimes get too much credit for things.

I will say this, I think the Tiger effect is pretty much gone....... temporarily. If he goes on another one of his patented tears like in 2000-2001 or 2005-2006, it will probably resurface. But until then, I don't think players are scared like they used to be.

Turn Off Ads?