Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Drought over for Tiger?

Re: Drought over for Tiger?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Nah, it's time for him to unleash his inner McEnroe.

He's got the beard now, it's doppleganger time.

He's a million times more interesting now than he ever was before.
    Kind of like this guy.

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I hope someone emerges as a clear leader in '11. Two years ago, it looked like everything was there for Anthony Kim's taking with Tiger out with his knee injury. Now it's the Euros turn with Rory McIlroy, Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood and Graeme McDowell. It's unfortunate we don't get to see them play each week on the PGA Tour.

Golf is uninteresting not because there's a lack of talent right now. Golf is uninteresting because there's nobody else out there that commands people's attention like Tiger does.

Today was a great reminder that golf makes for supremely great theater.
    Good post. And don't forget about Paul Casey, who is just as good as the other guys you mentioned. He just doesn't have a major, yet. Ian Poulter is awesome too.

There's way too much depth worldwide for just one guy to be Tiger's rival. I don't see it happening anytime soon. So many guys are just unbelievably good.

I do predict a huge year for Tiger next year. 8-10 wins and 2 majors. IMO, after watching the tournament last weekend, he's back. His swing isn't where he wants it yet, but it's already a million times better than it's been in the last 6 years with Hank. He's already getting it in play off the tee at a much higher percentage. Tiger is virtually unbeatable if he gets the ball in the fairway consistently. Freak miracles need to happen for him to get beat when that occurs. 2011 should be a very entertaining year for golf, unlike 2010.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Good article.

http://m.si.com/news/to/to/detail/3371850/2

Mobile site. Please correct if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Good article.

http://m.si.com/news/to/to/detail/3371850/2

Mobile site. Please correct if necessary.

I love Joe's writing. But I think he's got it wrong here.

Golf is different than any of the other sports he used as analogies. Losing a step finishes you in baseball, football, basketball... the sports in which hardly anyone stays competitive after 35 unless they're mutants or using PEDs.

Golf is much more mental. That's what Tiger has to get back. His mental edge. Everything else will fall in line if he gets his head right.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

If anyone can have a career resurgence after all this, it is Tiger.

But what I think needs to be realized, is that the Tiger Slam occured a decade ago. Really...it has been 10 years. Tiger has won 2 majors in the past 50+ months. His knee is an issue. Age is an issue.

He's not gonna be a slouch, but today, I don't see him beating Jack's record of major wins. Just my opinion.

Looks like Tiger tanked on the final day in Dubai, IIRC he had 3 bogeys and a dbl.

The bigger news right now is his spitting incident. Coming from a baseball background spitting is about as normal as you can get. I guess golf is looked at differently.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Golf is much more mental. That's what Tiger has to get back. His mental edge. Everything else will fall in line if he gets his head right.
    I really wonder if Tiger will be able to get that back. I think he had that mindset from a grade schooler until last year and I would think the break he took from golf shook him out of his routine.

I suspect it will be very difficult for him to attack both practice and the course in the same manner and with the same ferocity that he once did.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I really wonder if Tiger will be able to get that back. I think he had that mindset from a grade schooler until last year and I would think the break he took from golf shook him out of his routine.

I suspect it will be very difficult for him to attack both practice and the course in the same manner and with the same ferocity that he once did.

GL
    Agreed, once a person actually starts to consider the ethical and moral implications of their actions, their world gets a little more complicated. So, I imagine him standing over a putt and all the sudden maybe his ex-wife shows up in the mind's eye blocking out the task at hand. Welcome to adulthood, Woodie.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Lost in the first round on the first extra hole to Thomas Bjorn today at the Match Play. Won the 18th to force the tie and then shanked the drive on the next hole and couldn't recover.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Lost in the first round on the first extra hole to Thomas Bjorn today at the Match Play. Won the 18th to force the tie and then shanked the drive on the next hole and couldn't recover.
    Hmm... Tiger is usually nails in singles match play. Those three Amateur titles and his Sunday Ryder Cup records don't lie.

Will Tiger ever find his mojo again?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Hmm... Tiger is usually nails in singles match play. Those three Amateur titles and his Sunday Ryder Cup records don't lie.

Will Tiger ever find his mojo again?
    As I'm by no means an expert on the PGA Tour I have to ask....barring any health issues that may be holding him back....shouldn't Tiger be playing in every single tournament he can trying to get that mojo to reappear?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    As I'm by no means an expert on the PGA Tour I have to ask....barring any health issues that may be holding him back....shouldn't Tiger be playing in every single tournament he can trying to get that mojo to reappear?
    I think he should he play a few more tournaments than he's accustomed to, but playing in every tournament is too much for anybody.

Typically, pros play 3-4 weeks in a row, rarely no more, then take a week or two off. You have to remember that when these guys are playing 3-4 weeks in a row, it's everyday for those weeks with no time off or time at home. It's grueling and exhausting, more than you can imagine. Playing more than a few weeks in a row leads to burnout. Quickly.

I still fully believe Tiger will be fine and will win soon. His swing isn't where it needs to be yet, but it still looks much better to me than it did with the Haney slop. It's his short game, usually the best in the game, that is lacking due to neglecting it with his practice sessions. Once his short game regains best-in-the-world form, he'll win and win often.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Thanks for the great insight Redhook.

(I meant to write that I don't expect him to play EVERY week, but it seems as if he just isn't out there as much as he should be).

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I think he should he play a few more tournaments than he's accustomed to, but playing in every tournament is too much for anybody.

Typically, pros play 3-4 weeks in a row, rarely no more, then take a week or two off. You have to remember that when these guys are playing 3-4 weeks in a row, it's everyday for those weeks with no time off or time at home. It's grueling and exhausting, more than you can imagine. Playing more than a few weeks in a row leads to burnout. Quickly.

I still fully believe Tiger will be fine and will win soon. His swing isn't where it needs to be yet, but it still looks much better to me than it did with the Haney slop. It's his short game, usually the best in the game, that is lacking due to neglecting it with his practice sessions. Once his short game regains best-in-the-world form, he'll win and win often.
    I always thought Tiger needed to play more. Not for himself though, more for the PGA. That said, Tiger playing in more tournaments could help him with his game.

He is also on the wrong side of father time. Tiger for the longest time relied on freakish athletic ability to pull off a lot of his shots. His swing was very violent if you think about it. He used his brute force to get himself out of danger quite often. There were times when a normal tour player would have to hit a wedge out of the rough and lay up from 180. Tiger would pull out an 8 iron and muscle it onto the green. He could hit a shorter iron from 200 yards when other guys were forced to drop down to longer irons. As Tiger ages and loses some of his physical abilities his game will suffer.

Tiger's mental game is lost right now. His confidence also seems lost. That is the most important part of your short game. Tiger for the longest time was the master of his domain, now he looks a little humbled. I just don't know if that unwavering swagger will ever come back. He is good enough to win tournaments now, but I doubt we ever see him back to the level he once was or even wants to be.

So does Tiger catch and surpass Jack now for most majors won? At one time it was a lock. Now I would imagine it's down to a coin flip.

Turn Off Ads?