Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Drought over for Tiger?

Re: Drought over for Tiger?

That was one heckuva of an awesome tournament to watch. I'm glad Rory won and it was great to see Tiger tear it up for a change. Very fitting that it was Tiger who came in 2nd to Rory as he moved to #1 in the world.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

If golf wanted a story line in the run-up to the Masters, look no further.

It's got my attention. Game on.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    If golf wanted a story line in the run-up to the Masters, look no further.

It's got my attention. Game on.
    The Masters are going to be incredible this year. I look forward to it every year anyways, but I can't wait for April.

What would you bet on this week: Tiger or the field? It's tough to bet against the field, but I'd be surprised if Tiger doesn't win. He's playing good, he's going to be more confident than he's been in a long time, and Doral fits his game well. I look for Tiger to dominant this week.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Marquee Doral pairings:

While Woods, who closed with a 62 at the Honda Classic Sunday, tees off with defending champ Nick Watney and Sergio Garcia, newly-minted World No. 1 Rory McIlroy will go off with Nos. 2 and 3, Luke Donald and Lee Westwood.Phil Mickelson, back in action for the first time since he dueled Woods at the ATT Peble Beach Pro Am, is with WGC Accenture Match Play champ Hunter Mahan and Adam Scott.

Early Doral scores:

Woods even through five. (Eagled one, bogied 4 and 5)
    Mickelson even though ten. (bogied 3 and 5, birdied 8 and 10)
    Westwood +4 after eight. (ugly)
    McIlroy even through eight. (bogied 2, birdied 3)

Other scores:
    Donald, Mahan, Garcia, Whatney and others at -2.
    Bjorn at -3.
    Stricker at -4.
    Adam Scott at -6 through 10.

How do I know that it's Selection Sunday? I didn't hear about Woods withdrawing at Doral until I just went to PGATour.com to see how the Tournament went. And I've had ESPN on in the background for the last half hour.

This is a bad setback for Tiger. One thing about athletes getting older is the injury factor. They become more prone to them, and it takes longer and longer to recover. It seems that this Achilles injury is not a new one but a chronic, recurring one. In a word his body's breaking down. I have serious doubts that he'll be ready for the Master's in 3 weeks.

The bigger picture is the main thing here. What does an upper 30s, breaking down body do for Tiger as a world class golfer? As fit as he looks he has all the signs of an aging body with multiple surgeries and various injuries of a chronic nature.

Sunday television is better when Tiger is in the mix. Good stuff.

And he got it. Course was playing tough, he went -2 and won by 5 shots. It's great to see him win again, golf needed it....fans needed it.

What's scary is that he's NEVER driven the ball as well as he is right now. This may be the best he's ever been tee to green. If he can get his short game back to where it once was he will dominate again. But his short game is not all the way back yet.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Congrats, Tiger. Makes golf a more interesting sport. Now on to Augusta.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What's scary is that he's NEVER driven the ball as well as he is right now. This may be the best he's ever been tee to green. If he can get his short game back to where it once was he will dominate again. But his short game is not all the way back yet.
    Great win for Tiger. Much needed for him and golf. This will be the most anticipated Masters in a long time with all the story lines.

It is amazing how well he's driving it. I used to caddy at Bay Hill and I was very impressed with some of the shots he was hitting. Some of those tee shots are very tight with trouble on both sides. His putting is pretty solid now and I imagine his short game will be in-tune on April 5th. He's swinging well so now he can pay more attention to his short game. That's bad news for the rest of the field.

I just wonder how good Tiger would've been if he met Sean Foley before Hank Haney? I still think Butch is better than Sean, but not by a whole lot.

The NY Post has it's own take on Tiger's win ... although factually incorrect. I think it's his first PGA win. I believe he won a couple non-PGA events since his return. But why let facts get in the way of a good headline.

"The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

That headline is as tacky as a Perkins waitress.

Turn Off Ads?