Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Drought over for Tiger?

Re: Drought over for Tiger?

Third round blues for Tiger.

Woods wound up with a 3-over 75, going from a one-shot lead to six shots behind John Senden going into the final round.
    Tiger of old would shoot about 62 or 63 to take the title. Looking forward to seeing how he responds.
    Last edited by texasdave; 11-12-2011 at 09:59 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Watched a decent amount of his Saturday round. His putting was probably the worst I'd ever seen from him. Usually when he misses, he lips out hard. He wasn't even brushing the cup with his putts yesterday.

I'm so over Tiger. He acts like an absolute child every time he hits a had shot. Grow up already ya big baby. I really don't mind bad language at all. It's not the words he's using but the attitude. Everyone struggles, everyone hits awful shots. Yes, some even express anger from time to time, but with Tiger it's every time and his actions are so immature it's tough to watch. I can't imagine playing with him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm so over Tiger. He acts like an absolute child every time he hits a had shot. Grow up already ya big baby. I really don't mind bad language at all. It's not the words he's using but the attitude. Everyone struggles, everyone hits awful shots. Yes, some even express anger from time to time, but with Tiger it's every time and his actions are so immature it's tough to watch. I can't imagine playing with him.
    I've always disliked that too. Especially with his putting, he acts like one that lips out is due to something other than his own shot. The ironic thing about him is that he always seems to give pretty forthright and professional interviews after a round.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

When looking back on the 2011 Australian Open, Tiger Woods will likely lament a third-round hiccup. Three rounds in the 60s could've been enough for Woods to win the tournament, but it was a third-round 75 that dashed his hopes of getting back to his winning ways. The hole was too great for Woods to dig out of, even with a strong showing in the final round.
    Shot a final round of 67. Left him two strokes back. Encouraging nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Shot a final round of 67. Left him two strokes back. Encouraging nonetheless.
    He looked like he had a little bit of that swagger back last night. If he could have made that eagle putt on 17, he might of had a chance at winning. I still don't trust his putter, and he still doesn't have great command with the driver, but he was puring his irons pretty much all week. I'm much more hopeful that he'll make his way back now than I was a month ago. Still not crazy about the new swing, but he at least seems a lot more confident in it.

Don't bet against it
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I watched a lot of this tournament. Tiger looked a lot better this week than he did a few weeks back. His swing looks better and he's finally hitting some draws. His driving still isn't great and never will be. He's never been a great driver of the ball, but it should be a little better than it currently is.

The positives are is iron play is still strong and his short game was good again this week.

On the flip side, his putting is atrocious for his standards. He was so defensive. I'm surprised how many putts he left short or that barely crept up to the hole. He used to miss 2-3 feet past the hole, now it's barely to the hole. That, to me, shows me he has very little confidence in his putting. And that was what separated him in tournaments, his solid putting. I believe he'll putt well again. I just don't know when.

All in all, Tiger played a lot better than I thought he would down there. IMO, he needs to play a lot more than he's used to get his game back to an elite level.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Tiger Woods made the first move, reaching out to shake hands with his ex-caddie, that went a long way toward dousing the endless chatter over their acrimonious breakup.
    Twelve holes later, as short a Presidents Cup match that has ever been played, Steve Williams had the last laugh.
    In the 112 matches of various formats that Woods has played in his professional career, he never had a loss like this one. Playing again with Steve Stricker, an American tandem that was unbeatable two years ago, they didn't win a hole and didn't make a birdie in tying the Presidents Cup record for the worst loss ever, 7 and 6.
    Adam Scott - with Williams on his bag, kept his distance from Woods until they shook hands on the 12th green - and K.J. Choi rarely missed a shot in piling up pars and more than enough birdies. The foursomes match ended with Scott rolling in a 25-foot birdie putt on the 11th, and stuffing his approach into 10 feet for Choi's birdie on their final hole.
    Ouch.

I really enjoyed watching Tiger's progress this week in the President's Cup. His ball-striking seemed to get better each day. He hit it really good for the most part. He was hitting a lot of stingers and draws, his old go-to shots. His putting was suspect until the last round, but it definitely has not completely gone away.

All in all, I thought Tiger looked great compared to how he's looked in the past two years. I'm actually very surprised he looked this good so soon after how bad he looked in the Frys.com. If he plays this good next year, he'll win quite a few tournaments. Once he wins one, watch out. This is a great news for the game of golf.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I really enjoyed watching Tiger's progress this week in the President's Cup. His ball-striking seemed to get better each day. He hit it really good for the most part. He was hitting a lot of stingers and draws, his old go-to shots. His putting was suspect until the last round, but it definitely has not completely gone away.

All in all, I thought Tiger looked great compared to how he's looked in the past two years. I'm actually very surprised he looked this good so soon after how bad he looked in the Frys.com. If he plays this good next year, he'll win quite a few tournaments. Once he wins one, watch out. This is a great news for the game of golf.
    I agree to a certain extent. His iron play was flawless. However, he still worries the heck out of me off the tee. He didn't have to hit very many drivers at Royal Melbourne, and when he did, he wasn't very good with it (going off of what I saw, I don't have numbers in front of me). I know you've noted he's never been a great driver of the golf ball, but he still seems way less accurate now off the tee than he was several years ago.

He did play very well throughout the Cup, his numbers just didn't show it because he couldn't putt until that final day. I'm excited to see how far he can rise next year. At minimum, it will be exciting to at least have the threat of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    He didn't have to hit very many drivers at Royal Melbourne, and when he did, he wasn't very good with it (going off of what I saw, I don't have numbers in front of me). I know you've noted he's never been a great driver of the golf ball, but he still seems way less accurate now off the tee than he was several years ago.
    You're right, he didn't hit many drivers at RM. It worries me too a bit, but it is getting better. It was better than it was the previous week.

With his 3w and 2 iron stinger shots, flawless iron play, and great short game he can get away with a few poor tee shots. He needs to avoid the off-the-planet shots that cost him big numbers. If he can hit about half the fairways with his driver and keep the others on the course, he'll play great next year.

Tiger's never been a good driver of the golf ball. He's always been erratic with that club.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

There are bad holes, and there are atrocities. At this year's Australian Open, John Daly experienced one of the latter. He hit seven consecutive shots into the water on the 11th hole before storming off the course and drawing the ire of tournament officials. After his round -- or lack thereof -- Daly tweeted, "when u run out of balls u run out of balls."'
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...#ixzz1eZ1O2K31

Just curious what Redhook would think about this. If a pro is in a tournament wouldn't they carry more than 7 golf balls in their bag? Sounds like a weak excuse to me but maybe it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...#ixzz1eZ1O2K31

Just curious what Redhook would think about this. If a pro is in a tournament wouldn't they carry more than 7 golf balls in their bag? Sounds like a weak excuse to me but maybe it's true.
    Very weak excuse. If John Daly had 50 balls in his bag that day, he would've attempted to hit all 50 into that lake. I'm guessing officials would've interrupted him after hit 25 consecutive balls in the water.

John Daly quits often. Too often. In this case, he was upset from a previous ruling and let it carry over. He then proceeded to hit all his balls into the lake on purpose. The fact that he only had 7 balls in his bag just sped up the process.

When I play tournaments, I usually carry 9-12 balls in my bag. I'll have 6-9 new ones and 3-6 used balls I use for pre-round chipping. Then, when I practice during the week, I'll continue to use those balls until they're toast.

I've never ran out of balls in a tournament and, while I've lost my fair share of balls, I don't think I've been close. If I ever did get to my last ball, I'd play conservatively just to finish my round. Then, if I lost that ball, I'd ask for a ball from one of my playing partners. This would involve a penalty, but at that point, I'm guessing my score would already be super-high so an extra shot or two wouldn't really matter.

Turn Off Ads?