Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Drought over for Tiger?

Re: Drought over for Tiger?

Tiger did not play well but advanced in the first round of the match play tournament. If you can squeak by in your mediocre rounds that seems especially beneficial.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not to hijack this thread, but why isn't Phil playing this week?

Or did he just lose? I've gone over the list 4 match times and couldn't find his name.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but why isn't Phil playing this week?

Or did he just lose? I've gone over the list 4 match times and couldn't find his name.
    He played the last two weeks and is taking a vacation with his family because his kids didn't have school this week.

Makes sense. I know it's rare for the top players to play three weeks in a row. It's why I was moderately surprised that he was playing last week. This week's tournament is a pretty big deal no?
    WGC's are just below the level of Grand Slams? Of course I guess when you have as much money and success as he does, and you really only care about the Grand Slams, then it doesn't really matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Makes sense. I know it's rare for the top players to play three weeks in a row. It's why I was moderately surprised that he was playing last week. This week's tournament is a pretty big deal no?
    WGC's are just below the level of Grand Slams? Of course I guess when you have as much money and success as he does, and you really only care about the Grand Slams, then it doesn't really matter.
    Yeah I'm sure he doesn't mind missing a few big events. Plus with everything that has happened in his family life I'm sure he likes to take those opportunites when he can. Also, I might be wrong, but I don't think he traditionally does very well at this tournament.

I don't think Phil is a big fan of match play.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm not sure the WGC is a step behind the grand slam.

I'd say:
    Grand Slam
    TPC/The Memorial/Bay Hill
    The WGC events
    The season ending deal

Tiger misses a 6-footer on 18 that would have extended the match against Nick Whatney. Old Tiger makes that one in his sleep.

It was weird today for me when I looked at the matchups and saw Tiger was playing Whatney. My initial reaction was "I'm not sure if Tiger can win that one."
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Is Tiger all the way back to being 100% of what the New Tiger can be? Because, if he is, he is just another golfer out there.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Is Tiger all the way back to being 100% of what the New Tiger can be? Because, if he is, he is just another golfer out there.
    IMO this is as good as the new Tiger will be. Tiger fans get excited when he plays well in a round or two in any tournament. He goes out and shoots a 66 and "he's back". Not only is Tiger not getting any younger but the young guys are getting much better. You can name a handful of younger guys who are better than the current version of Tiger.

I watched the last couple of holes as well as the postmatch intervies. The funny thing was the interviewer said something to the extent of "did you lose or did Watney win". Tiger kinda tap danced around the question bringing up an excuse about the greens being grainy and difficult to read. He just doesn't have that "it" factor that he used to have.

It's possible this is as good as it gets, but I'm not sure that's the case. Before Pebble Beach a couple of weeks ago, he had finished in the top 3 in all of the previous 4 events he played. He was in the top 3 heading into the final round at Pebble. That's not just another golfer. I'm not one who thinks it's a given that he'll be back on top, but I also don't think what we've seen recently means he won't be either. I think we'll know by the end of this year.

The guy is not right in the head. Of all the things I thought I'd never say about Tiger, it's that his head is the problem. He's just not himself, and I'm not talking about his golf swing. It's something else I can't quite put my finger on. There are still probably a lot of things not right in his life and I have to think that's preventing him from being the old Tiger.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an avid golfer fan but it seems to me that his main problem right now is putting and can't that be overcome at his age?I would think he could as that's more or less a mental thing as opposed to physical

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It's possible this is as good as it gets, but I'm not sure that's the case.
    Guys disappear for a year or two and then resurface all the time. I have no doubt that Tigear will put a run together at some point in the next few years if his health will allow that to be possible.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I watched the last couple of holes as well as the postmatch intervies. The funny thing was the interviewer said something to the extent of "did you lose or did Watney win". Tiger kinda tap danced around the question bringing up an excuse about the greens being grainy and difficult to read. He just doesn't have that "it" factor that he used to have.
    His interview after the 1st round was telling also. He was talking about reading greens and went blabbering on about the grain, the lake, the mountains. Listening to him, my thought was "paralysis by analysis." I know Tiger has always had the rep as a technician, perfectionist, etc, but at some point, you have to be able to pick a line, step up and stroke the ball with some confidence... Line be damned.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?