Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Drought over for Tiger?

Re: Drought over for Tiger?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Interesting that, in the aftermath of Scott's win and Williams giving interviews about how it was his best week ever etc., there are plenty of people within the game saying Tiger isn't the only one who needs to get over himself.
    I agree. This isn't an either-or. Both guys have handled the situation like children.

Like I said before, Tiger firing Stevie was the last straw for me. It changed my perception of Tiger completely. And that's not because I thought Stevie was some great human being as much as he was totally loyal and was then just dropped suddenly because Tiger's ego. So it was cool to see his player win the week Tiger comes back. But Stevie definitely needs to get over himself. His behavior is reflecting very poorly on him and I doubt Scott will want it to continue.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I agree. This isn't an either-or. Both guys have handled the situation like children.

Like I said before, Tiger firing Stevie was the last straw for me. It changed my perception of Tiger completely. And that's not because I thought Stevie was some great human being as much as he was totally loyal and was then just dropped suddenly because Tiger's ego. So it was cool to see his player win the week Tiger comes back. But Stevie definitely needs to get over himself. His behavior is reflecting very poorly on him and I doubt Scott will want it to continue.
    I agree. One one hand, Tiger pretty much hung Stevie out to dry by playing so sparingly and at times poorly over the last two years. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Stevie could retire today and just on the basis of his years with Tiger be the richest caddy in history.

Also "The greatest win of my career" is so petty. Your golfer won a tournament, he's won a few before you and he'll likely win more. It wasn't a major. It didn't do anything for him more than the Accenture Match Play did for Luke Donald or the Doral Championship did for Nick Watney.

No one remembers the WGC champions 5 years down the road.

I'm trying to think of an equivalent, and it's essentially like Tony LaRussa saying that winning 3 straight from the Reds last August were the greatest wins of his career.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 08-08-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

This is the year of surprises so I'm guessing another guy will come out of relatively nowhere and win.

I'd like to see Tiger, Rory, or Rickie win if I had my choice.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I still don't see how Tiger firing Williams is wrong. Steve had it about as good as you can have it for a caddie because of Tiger. He became rich and famous because of Tiger. Pro golfers have always fired caddies, but I've never heard of another golfer taking heat for doing so.

Williams has always had a reputation for being rude to fans/reporters/golfers on the course, and I think that kinda made him a good fit for Tiger since Tiger was no saint out there, but if Tiger is really trying to get away from that reputation (time will tell) then it would make sense for him to go in a different direction. Either way, he doesn't need a reason...sometimes you want to move on to someone else, and that is really all that should ever have to be said. Steve wasn't struggling to feed his family while Tiger was injured and not playing, he's living well and was actually working for another golfer on the side.

The way Steve handled this past week should only make Tiger feel a little better about his decision to cut him loose. He acted like a 16 year old girl that got dumped before the prom. Someone should remind him he's a caddie and not the guy hitting the shots. Golf needs Tiger to get back...I just hope Williams being an idiot pisses him off and can get him going again.

Oh and for this week, I just hope an American wins. We need it.
    Last edited by Stray; 08-09-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Stevie's arrogance is only exceeded by Tiger's. I never liked Stevie. I never liked his antics. I never liked how on the 18th hole of every tournament his caddy uni was off and his advertisement was on display. I never liked how Stevie thought he was bigger than the game as a freakin Caddy.

That said he is a damn good Caddy. If I am Adam Scott I am seriously debating as to whether to keep him on the bag or not. Scott won the tournament yet Stevie is getting all the buzz. I don't think I would like that as a golfer.

I've heard more than one radio host describe Tiger's firing of Stevie as akin to a dude breaking up with a longtime girlfriend over text message. Huh?? Tiger flew into the tournament and had a conversation with Stevie, he did it face to face.

I don't see what Stevie has to cry about. He says he sat around a waited for Tiger there last two years.....yeah like he was doing a favor to Tiger. No caddy would voluntarily give up their Tiger lottery ticket if they were lucky enough to get it, no matter how long they had to wait for him. He made fat cash for 12 years and then immediately got a gig with another top golfer. Poor Stevie.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Am I the only one that heard Tiget fired Williams because Williams was talking to Tiger's ex after they divorced? Isn't that man code violation one? Not sure what Tiger has done wrong when it comes to Williams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Am I the only one that heard Tiget fired Williams because Williams was talking to Tiger's ex after they divorced? Isn't that man code violation one? Not sure what Tiger has done wrong when it comes to Williams.
    I'd have to check the BroCode, but that certainly sounds like a violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I've heard more than one radio host describe Tiger's firing of Stevie as akin to a dude breaking up with a longtime girlfriend over text message. Huh?? Tiger flew into the tournament and had a conversation with Stevie, he did it face to face.

I don't see what Stevie has to cry about. He says he sat around a waited for Tiger there last two years.....yeah like he was doing a favor to Tiger. No caddy would voluntarily give up their Tiger lottery ticket if they were lucky enough to get it, no matter how long they had to wait for him. He made fat cash for 12 years and then immediately got a gig with another top golfer. Poor Stevie.
    Steve said the original conversation happened over the phone.

Williams apologized today, but not to Tiger. This is like some junior high stuff.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6...cott-interview
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Steve said the original conversation happened over the phone.
    Hmmm...that's interesting. Tiger definitely said it was face to face. Maybe that was just the official part.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Tiger didn't say a lot but he did take the high road. He just said he sent him a text congratulating him on the win and that he was happy for him and Scott.

Tiger is a mere shell of himself right now. 77, ouch.

Golfers fire caddies all the time and it doesn't make news. But since this is Tiger Woods, it's a huge thing because whatever he does is huge. I don't know if anyone but a handful of people know why Tiger fired Stevie. But whatever the reason, the media made a bigger thing out of it than they should have. Stevie was partly to blame as well for his comments. But instead of Scott being the story on Monday, it was the caddy. Since when is the caddy the story?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Tiger is a mere shell of himself right now. 77, ouch.
    But he was leading at one point in time.

I was really hoping this week would turn things around for him on the course. I'm not sure what to think about his game. I know it stinks and it's pretty clear he's nowhere close to where he needs to be. For the first time, I'm thinking he might not get back to the top. I finally have a little doubt.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?