Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Drought over for Tiger?

Re: Drought over for Tiger?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    But he was leading at one point in time.

I was really hoping this week would turn things around for him on the course. I'm not sure what to think about his game. I know it stinks and it's pretty clear he's nowhere close to where he needs to be. For the first time, I'm thinking he might not get back to the top. I finally have a little doubt.
    Mentally he isn't there. He was the most mentally tough guy I have ever seen play. Jack and Arnie and Bobby and Sam and Ben probably were as tough mentally but they I never saw them play at a high level. Until he gets his head back in the game I don't think he becomes a contender in any tournaments.

Harvey Pennick said in one of his books 'good players don't lose their swing from one hole to the next'. Tiger didn't lose his swing he lost his edge. He lost the mental game. He let one double bogey spiral out of control. He let a -3 start turn into a +7 finish. Its kind of sad seeing him play the way he is. But there are also a nice group of exciting young players right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tiger just isn't Tiger anymore and I'm not talking about his game. The guy's demeanor is just miserable, in interviews, on the course, etc.... He just looks like an incredibly unhappy person and I don't think its relating to his game. I'm sure that doesn't help matters, but there's just something off with Tiger the person. It's so obvious too. His head just isn't with golf anymore it seems. Who knows!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Tiger back in action today. First-round 73. Six shots off the lead.

That was painful to watch. Tiger stunk. He just got his butt kicked by a 19 year-old who looks like he's 12. Cantlay is so much better than Tiger right now in every facet of the game. That's really hard to believe, but I watched it with my own two eyes.

I really keep holding out hope that the Tiger of old will reappear someday soon. That day is turning into a pipe dream.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

That was painful to watch. Tiger stunk. He just got his butt kicked by a 19 year-old who looks like he's 12. Cantlay is so much better than Tiger right now in every facet of the game. That's really hard to believe, but I watched it with my own two eyes.

I really keep holding out hope that the Tiger of old will reappear someday soon. That day is turning into a pipe dream.
    His swing looks awful, and his putter (what really set him apart during his peak), has lost its magic.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Sean Foley. I'm not a fan of Tiger's current swing, and I've never been a fan of Hunter Mahan's swing either. I think he needs to go back to Hank or Butch, but given his stubbornness, I don't see any way that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    His swing looks awful, and his putter (what really set him apart during his peak), has lost its magic.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Sean Foley. I'm not a fan of Tiger's current swing, and I've never been a fan of Hunter Mahan's swing either. I think he needs to go back to Hank or Butch, but given his stubbornness, I don't see any way that happens.
    I've watched a video of Sean Foley and have read some of his articles. Sharp guy and a very good instructor. But, not the right guy for Tiger. This swinging/rehearsing left for Tiger is terrible. Big pulls and slices. It's been that way for years, he's just doing it little differently than how he was doing it with Hank.

I have never been much of a fan of Hunter's swing. To me, it just looks like he's going to hit it way right sometimes. That being said, Hunter is a great ballstriker and probably would be with any instructor.

Tiger needs to stay far, far away from Hank. Hank destroyed Tiger's swing. Butch would be a huge upgrade over the other two, but that ain't happenin'!

Last night, they compared his swing with the 3 instructors and it was mind-boggling how much better Tiger's swing was in 2000 compared to '09 and now. What a mess it is!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I've watched a video of Sean Foley and have read some of his articles. Sharp guy and a very good instructor. But, not the right guy for Tiger. This swinging/rehearsing left for Tiger is terrible. Big pulls and slices. It's been that way for years, he's just doing it little differently than how he was doing it with Hank.

I have never been much of a fan of Hunter's swing. To me, it just looks like he's going to hit it way right sometimes. That being said, Hunter is a great ballstriker and probably would be with any instructor.

Tiger needs to stay far, far away from Hank. Hank destroyed Tiger's swing. Butch would be a huge upgrade over the other two, but that ain't happenin'!

Last night, they compared his swing with the 3 instructors and it was mind-boggling how much better Tiger's swing was in 2000 compared to '09 and now. What a mess it is!
    When did he switch from Butch to Hank?

And how much of his swing change do you think is because of the knee? Are they necessary changes to shift weight off of the knee?

nm
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 10-07-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Tiger bounces back with a 68. He will play on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    When did he switch from Butch to Hank?

And how much of his swing change do you think is because of the knee? Are they necessary changes to shift weight off of the knee?
    I think he switched in 2005. Tiger was with Butch for 10 years and Hank for 5 or 6. Tiger switched because he felt he learned all he could from Butch. Ignorant and arrogant young Tiger was.

I don't think he switched to Hank because of the knee. Butch could've adjusted Tiger's swing if needed to alleviate the stress on the knee. Remember, Butch is to a college professor as Hank is to a 1st grader. That's how much of a gap is between the two. Anything Hank can do, Butch has already done a lot better.

As you can clearly tell, I'm not a fan of Hank Haney's swing method. It's so bad. It'll take a long time for Tiger to get back to a halfway decent swing.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Tiger bounces back with a 68. He will play on the weekend.
    Good to see. I'm looking forward to watching him again on Sunday. He looked terrible yesterday, but it was still very intriguing to watch him play. I didn't watch today. He looks like he's working so hard to hit the ball. I think he's hitting about 25% of the fairways. That tells me he has no clue where the ball is going and he has no chance to win when doing that.

What is it about Foley's technique that you don't like, Redhook?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What is it about Foley's technique that you don't like, Redhook?
    It's not that I dislike Foley's technique, I just don't think it's quite right for Tiger. He's better than Haney, but Tiger seems very unnatural swinging the way either guy wants him too.

Tiger's fighting how his body wants to swing. He wants to release it, but they're trying to get him to swing left with his body and arms so his hands don't flip it. Tiger struggles playing this way. Always has and always will. He plays his best when he's square to slightly closed at address and hits his stinger draws off the tee. With both Haney and Foley, his feet aim straight or right at address and his shoulders open (with the driver). This causes big pull hooks and block slices. It boggles my mind that he's still setting up to hit those shots.

On the positive, I did see Tiger make some really good 3 wood swings today. Coincidentally, his shoulders were square and he hit the low draw. That's his shot. I'm not sure why he doesn't hit it all the time. Watch tomorrow and you'll see what I'm talking about with his setup. Open shoulders for Tiger equals very bad shots.

Tiger finishes with 3 straight 68s. That still left him 10 off the lead. 68 used to be a very good number but not so much anymore. Seems like you really have to go low to win on the tour, aside from the Majors. In any case 68s are better than 70-somethings. So maybe Tiger is on the right track.
    Here is an odd story from the tournament.
    A 31-year-old fan from Santa Rosa ducked under the gallery ropes surrounding the seventh green, yelled out Tiger Woods's name and threw a hot dog at the former No. 1 player in the world in the final round of the Frys.com Open at CordeValle on Sunday.
    Read more: http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011...#ixzz1aOTiIP5A

Tiger in the lead after the second round at the Australia Open. This was where his last victory was 2 years ago.

Turn Off Ads?