Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Washington signs Jason Werth

  1. #16
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,660

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    Terrible contract. The other GMs have to be pulling their hair out now, because the price for Crawford and other guys just went up.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    Another article said this exactley.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5891606

    But I listened to Mike Rizzo on MLB Network last night and he acknowledged the 18 Million per year for 7 years was a lot of Money. He went on to say that the reason the Nats paid 18 million was because being the situation the Nats are in, they are going to have to over pay for Free Agents to come to Washington.

    I totally see where he is coming from.

    But I don't think this sets the market for Crawford etc...

    Look at the Royals and Jose Guillen. Similar Situation, albeit Werth is ALOT better than Guillen...

    The Royals had to over pay 3 years @ 36 Million to get Guillen...

    That contract didn't have much effect on other players contracts... Simply because it was the Royals over paying for Guillen because they lose so much... What Free Agent is going to want to come there? Unless you over pay?

    So I feel that is the situation with Weth to Washington....

    Any people saying that Crawford goes up to 19-20 million etc... in my opinion is Agent "talk"... Hoping for a ripple effect...

    I still say Crawford will be at 18 Million per year or less...

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    MLB needs to step in and stop this, they cant complete as is let alone with a contract like that in one player, will finsih at the bottom...again...and get the top picks...again. Step in and block that signing and put a timeline in place for them to become competetive or sell the team to someone who is competent.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    MLB needs to step in and stop this, they cant complete as is let alone with a contract like that in one player, will finsih at the bottom...again...and get the top picks...again. Step in and block that signing and put a timeline in place for them to become competetive or sell the team to someone who is competent.
    I dissagree. It is a Free Market System. What do you want Socialism instated into the MLB bargaining agreement?

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    When a team can stink on purpose and tank it year in and year out to get the 1st draft pick every year to collect big gate money from Strasburg mania, but dont attempt to be a decent team with those players, yeah, I have a problem with that.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    553

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    I hope he enjoys the money because I believe he is really going to end up being sorry he signed for the Nats.

    He was a very nice complimentary player on a team full of bigger names. I do not think he has the personality or the abiltiy to be the star his contract indicates he is supposed to be.

    When this team does not win he will be the guy the spotlight shine brightest on and I really do not think he will handle it well and will beg to get out of Washington.

    The guy makes a great Robin, but when you are getting Batman's paycheck you better be ready for the expectations that come along with it.

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    655

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I hope he enjoys the money because I believe he is really going to end up being sorry he signed for the Nats.

    He was a very nice complimentary player on a team full of bigger names. I do not think he has the personality or the abiltiy to be the star his contract indicates he is supposed to be.

    When this team does not win he will be the guy the spotlight shine brightest on and I really do not think he will handle it well and will beg to get out of Washington.

    The guy makes a great Robin, but when you are getting Batman's paycheck you better be ready for the expectations that come along with it.
    yep, that phillies lineup allowed him to see better pitches, his numbers will be down i'm sure.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    yep, that phillies lineup allowed him to see better pitches, his numbers will be down i'm sure.
    I don't know. The Phillies hitters were all out of the lineup for quite some time early to mid season and Werth had to "carry" the team until Utley and company got healed up for a late post season run...

  10. #24
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,731

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    In hindsight, the Matt Holiday contract almost looks like a deal if this is how contracts are going to be in the future.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    256

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    And the Free Agent Market just caught helium...

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I hope he enjoys the money because I believe he is really going to end up being sorry he signed for the Nats.

    He was a very nice complimentary player on a team full of bigger names. I do not think he has the personality or the abiltiy to be the star his contract indicates he is supposed to be.

    When this team does not win he will be the guy the spotlight shine brightest on and I really do not think he will handle it well and will beg to get out of Washington.

    The guy makes a great Robin, but when you are getting Batman's paycheck you better be ready for the expectations that come along with it.
    I dont think he cares; when you sign for that much money with a team that bad, it can only mean he was out for as much money as he can get now. He has a ring already, no pressure to win in DC cause they stink so bad-no expectations. He just wants to show up at the park and collect the biggest check he can get IMO.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  13. #27
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Washington signs Jason Werth

    Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I dont think he cares; when you sign for that much money with a team that bad, it can only mean he was out for as much money as he can get now. He has a ring already, no pressure to win in DC cause they stink so bad-no expectations. He just wants to show up at the park and collect the biggest check he can get IMO.
    I agree.

    I wonder why the Nats didn't realize this?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25