Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nationals Sign Jayson Werth

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Nationals Sign Jayson Werth

Just another example of why the Exponationals are the worst baseball organization of all time.

Seriously, they are.

Now, back to hibernation mode. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Why? Like I said, isn't the goal to win? If this deal helps them do that, why is it a bad move? You need to clarify your rationale, because I don't see how not making this signing, no matter how ridiculous the length is, is better than making it. Not spending the money won't help them a bit. If there are specific things that were on the table they could have done with the money to better themselves, by all means, it's a bad deal. But everyone seems to be looking at the length of this deal in a vacuum and saying "it's a bad deal." But no one is explaining why that is. Why they are better off without Werth.
    Why it's a bad deal:
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Jayson Stark -

The #Nationals offer on Werth was so far above everyone else that Boras didn't even ask other interested teams if they wanted to match it.
    That wasn't so hard Brutus now was it?

Overpaying to get the guy you want is one thing. Overpaying to the point that Boras knows that there's no chance that any other team will come anywhere close? Well, that's something different altogether. Heck, he was probably afraid that other teams would find out about the deal and talk the Nats out of it. You can believe that they had to give him that many years if you want. I doubt that you'll find many people that will believe you.

it seems to me that one thing that often isn't taken into account is park effects. He is leaving a hitters park for a pitchers park. Over his 27 HRs last year 15 were either lucky or just enough according to HitTracker. 7 years is ridiculous.

One other thing, IMO they need a lot more than Jason Werth to become a winner. It seems to me that in losing Dunn and adding Werth they are out a lot more money and a pretty much the same place they ended last year. I guess if they can go find 3-4 decent starters they could be a contender.
    Last edited by flyer85; 12-06-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    7 year / 126 million
    Obviously the Nationals valued him much more than Adam Dunn. Strike up the Jason Werth for Hall of Fame talk!

The whispers are the Nats aren't necessarily done yet. Carlos Pena.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-06-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Here's a blogpost from the Washington Post with links to a number of different opinions on the deal. The Crasnick piece is of particular interest. I'm in the camp that I'm not betting against Rizzo - he's going to move that club forward. Boswell has repeatedly said the ownership group has the money and they have to start some place. The closing days of this contract may be a problem, but I think they'll get their money out of this deal, particularly if they sign another player like Pena.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nat...rth_react.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

4 days ago....

As recession panic recedes, the baseball market is abandoning the bargain prices of the last two winters; and the Nats, apparently still hoping for wholesale, are being left behind.

Since the end of the season, $30 million in old contracts have dropped off the Nats' bottom-tier payroll. They could afford to add $40 million a year in free agents if they chose to do it. Shouldn't they follow the advice of former team president Stan Kasten, who said, "Now, it's time to add key pieces."

The Nats' best hope for a reasonably constructive winter is Rizzo's history of thinking outside the box and running silent until he's ready to act. Will the Nats ownership let Rizzo make a blow-away offer to a blue-chip free agent like Crawford or even the older Jayson Werth? Will they see the necessity of adding a pitcher, an outfielder and first baseman so they can lay the groundwork for '12 and beyond?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120106224.html

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Why it's a bad deal:

That wasn't so hard Brutus now was it?

Overpaying to get the guy you want is one thing. Overpaying to the point that Boras knows that there's no chance that any other team will come anywhere close? Well, that's something different altogether. Heck, he was probably afraid that other teams would find out about the deal and talk the Nats out of it. You can believe that they had to give him that many years if you want. I doubt that you'll find many people that will believe you.
    No club knows exactly what other teams are offering. They only have speculative media reports and the words of a less than truthful agent to go off of. But as I said, I am not denying they overpaid. They're not denying they overpaid. The issue is that they had to overpay to get Boras and Werth to agree to the deal. They are Washington, not the Yankees or Red Sox, after all.

Overpaying was a necessary evil. And as long as they will have the money to keep other positions competitive, then the extra years won't be a big deal.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    D.C. isn't exactly Cincinnati, Kansas City or Milwaukee. The Nationals have more wiggle room to take this kind of risk. Their revenue is better than a lot of clubs because of their stake in a sports network along with the Orioles. If a team that can only budget $60-70 million errs on a player making $18 million, that's a problem because they'd be hamstrung. But the Nationals can probably afford to take that chance a little more.

They're not the Yankees or Red Sox, and for that reason, they do have to be more careful and make sure they commit to developing players. But I don't think they'll be poverty-stricken if this Werth deal is a bust.
    IMO, Washington is potentially a sleeping giant, not unlike the Phillies were, 10 years or so. They've got potential to sell a lot of expensive tickets there, they just need to give people a reason to come.

The Werth deal is risky for sure. Not sure that I'd do it. They've been trying to get a marquee player for years. They tried to get Texeria, but had to settle for Dunn. Dunn has left now, so they are hoping Werth can fill the void and be an upgrade. It's a risky move, for sure, but comparable to us overpaying for Cordero in hopes of jump starting a winning season and becoming relevant again. I can see why they'd do it. It's a calculated risk. It would've been better if they only had to commit for 3-4 years, but that wasn't going to get the job done.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Tom Boswell puts in his two cents worth and lays out a good argument for this move, albeit one that will require further moves, namely Pena or LaRoche.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120606606.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Werth = injury prone for a good portion of his career. Once he hits 34, 35 that body will likely fall apart on him, horrible deal.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?