Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds fielding calls about Alonso

Re: Reds fielding calls about Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If/when Votto leaves it might be nice to have Alonso around, but he's most likely nothing more than a backfill and not an MVP caliber replacement. Backfills at 1B can be had pretty easily and there is no need to hang onto him for that.
    I agree with this. I like Alonso, but if you can get something you need for him now, you do it. If Votto shows no signs of signing a LTC in the next two years, then you either ask for a stud 1B prospect in the package of players you require for him, or you use some of the money you earmarked for Votto to go get a league average 1B who are seemingly available every off-season.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Could just be a play by WJ to up the asking price somewhat. If teams think Alonso is completely unneeded, then they will only want to pay pennies on the dollar. BCast seems pretty adamant about signing Votto.
    Jocketty knows what he is doing here, if he is thinking about trading Alonso he knows that it's not going to help his return if he makes it sound like he is just trying to deal him within a limited time frame.

We can help the team by dealing Alonso now, or by dealing Alonso at the deadline. Obviously, now helps more, but I think we have enough to get us to the playoffs already so better to find the right deal.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I deal Alonso ASAP. I still try and find something Tampa has that I want/need, or at least include them in a 3 way.
    Alonso and Leake/Bailey plus prospects for Garza and Joyce.

Another point about the Alonso/Votto debate. I think this was made before, but let me reiterate it. This isn't an either/or decision. A Votto trade could return a 1b prospect of equal or greater value than Alonso. Or a 3b prospect of that caliber and Rolen moves to 1b to finish his career. Or the Reds draft another 1b who is ready in 3 years (Alonso took 2.5 years to develop). Holding on to Alonso while he has trade value is a waste of resources, plain and simple.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Another point about the Alonso/Votto debate. I think this was made before, but let me reiterate it. This isn't an either/or decision. A Votto trade could return a 1b prospect of equal or greater value than Alonso. Or a 3b prospect of that caliber and Rolen moves to 1b to finish his career. Or the Reds draft another 1b who is ready in 3 years (Alonso took 2.5 years to develop). Holding on to Alonso while he has trade value is a waste of resources, plain and simple.
    Amen
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Garza isn't an ace; he's more of a middle-of-the-rotation starter, so I'm not really sure a need is filled there. And if the Rays are going to deal Garza, I'm sure they'd have interest in only positional players or relievers.
    Garza >>> Leake/Bailey (right now--later on, it might turn out to be a wash)
    Joyce > Alonso (not by much, but it could change either way later on)
    It would have to take at least one major prospect to make this deal happen, and like I said, the pitchers aren't filling needs for either team.

Grandal is another option at 1b, especially if Mez is legit.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

I'm not sure I understand Walt's logic, unless 1 of 2 things is going on:

1) There's some thought about trading Votto sooner rather than later.
    2) He's strengthening his bargaining position by suggesting that the Reds value Alonso more highly than others may think

If Votto's contract status isn't an issue for a few years, you're talking about letting a ripe Alonso rot on the vine in AAA. It's not hard to find quality 1B options; it's just not. If and when you have to Votto, if it comes to that, you can always include a 1B as part of the package coming back. As far as I'm concerned, given that the Reds' future is now and that there's so much uncertainty about the future, it seems odd to simply sit on a significant asset. I think it's still likely that if Walt makes a trade, Alonso is part of it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm not sure how long you define "holding onto". But unless I'm bowled over today, I want Alonso in AAA hopefully fully recovered from the wrist injury putting up some great numbers this year. That will make him more valuable than he is today.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm not sure how long you define "holding onto". But unless I'm bowled over today, I want Alonso in AAA hopefully fully recovered from the wrist injury putting up some great numbers this year. That will make him more valuable than he is today.
    Exactly. Again, I think this off-season is jumping the gun if the Reds dealt either one. Let's see what we have before we make a deal, lest we end up with no ML ready first baseman.

I also think the Reds can contend as is. Some more help would be nice, but if the season started today the Reds would be my pick to win the division again.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think they're going to wait and see whether or not Joey Votto is truly going to try and break the bank with a new contract. And I'll admit, the more time goes on I think we're all being a little naive to think that "he just wants to stay in a small town and play in Cincinnati because it's quaint and our city is a good baseball city".

Joey's quotes aren't sounding like he really knows what he is going to do yet. I saw firsthand a fan base selling themselves that an athlete was going to 'do the right thing' in their eyes and re-sign with the cavs when the fold should have been seen long before.

There are some smoke signals here--and its a very real possibility that Votto leaves here when his contract is up. Yes, he could yield first base prospects who are top of the line; but they're only prospects at the end of the day. Walt & co must feel like Alonso is another sure thing, they're being very careful with dangling him. It's weird
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    2) He's strengthening his bargaining position by suggesting that the Reds value Alonso more highly than others may think
    This.

It's clearly a story planted by the Reds. Who else in baseball gives a hill of beans about Alonso? No fanbases are clamoring to trade for him, no reporters were told to ask Jocketty about him.

(That's not a knock on Alonso -- just the reality of a non-megastar AAA 1B.)

.289/.386/.477

.291/.368/.458

First line is Votto's minor league career slash line.

Second is Alonso's minor league career slash line.

Alonso's includes a serious hand injury for most of it.

Even their AAA numbers are similar.

My only point is that shouldn't act like we know that Alonso will be a generic, easy to find 1B. Everyone said the same thing about Votto when he was coming up. Votto too was considered the Reds most tradable asset.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm not sure I understand Walt's logic, unless 1 of 2 things is going on:

1) There's some thought about trading Votto sooner rather than later.
    2) He's strengthening his bargaining position by suggesting that the Reds value Alonso more highly than others may think.
    Walt's in a fascinating game here where Alonso is his best chip against Votto (if they don't work out a deal with Votto, they can go year-to-year and then ship him someplace next year and install Alonso at first), but Votto is also the best chip Walt has against other team's for Alonso (as long as a deal ISN'T in place, Alonso still has perceived value to the club).

Once Votto signs, Alonso's value tanks -- but once Alonso is dealt, Votto's asking price probably increases.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Walt's in a fascinating game here where Alonso is his best chip against Votto (if they don't work out a deal with Votto, they can go year-to-year and then ship him someplace next year and install Alonso at first), but Votto is also the best chip Walt has against other team's for Alonso (as long as a deal ISN'T in place, Alonso still has perceived value to the club).

Once Votto signs, Alonso's value tanks -- but once Alonso is dealt, Votto's asking price probably increases.
    Wise, you are.

Turn Off Ads?