Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brewers get Marcum

Brewers get Marcum

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5890574

He's a near ace switching leagues. If he can stay healthy, the Brewers just added a strong piece to their rotation.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Bewers get Marcum

Very good move by the Brewers. Marcum is a stud and while Lawrie has big upside, there are questions about his commitment to being as good as he can be. Brewers actually drafted him in part b/c he said he'd give catching a go - then changed his mind when he showed up at camp.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Great trade by the Brewers. Marcum is a very solid pitcher and the change in leagues should benefit him.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar

Perhaps I misread the quote, but didn't the TOR brass say they believe the jays are a Zach Grienke away from catching the Red Sox? And now they trade away Marcum?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Shame we didn't have another Encarnación to send their way.l
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Not that familiar with Marcum, but is Cueto (excluding age) a fair comparison to him, numbers wise?

Marcum is a bit better and significantly more injury prone than Cueto.

Numbers-wise, they are fairly similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I don't think Marcum has any fit in Cincinnati, but it's another really quality pitcher that we're going to be facing now a few more times a year. He has lights out stuff. Brewers got better with this acquisition.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I don't think Marcum has any fit in Cincinnati, but it's another really quality pitcher that we're going to be facing now a few more times a year. He has lights out stuff. Brewers got better with this acquisition.
    Doesn't he top out in the high 80's?

His K/rate doesn't suggest "lights out stuff"

Marcum has a really nasty changeup and cutter that are death on left-handed hitters. In 2010, Marcum held lefties to a .530 OPS in 386 atbats while right-handed hitters had an .861 OPS in 361 atbats against him. He's so tough on lefties, at times, switch-hitters were batting RH against him.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 12-06-2010 at 01:20 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Doesn't he top out in the high 80's?

His K/rate doesn't suggest "lights out stuff"
    He's had Tommy John surgery though so he can shoot lightning bolts outta his booty.

Concerning his stuff, he's got above average peripherals (make 'em miss/command) and his repertoire allows him to get both lefties and righties out though righties get more dingers.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Marcum is a quality pitcher -- a very strong #3, or a decent #2. Good K/BB, especially last season (3.84). Weird splits last year - on the road, he allowed more HR (15) than BB (14).
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Since when are Opening Day starters only worth one AA player? I'd like to get in on that. I thought pitching was an expensive commodity.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

It's pretty clear the division is trying to close the gap between the Reds and them, trying to match up better against them. Marcum vs. LHH and the Cards got a guy who is pretty tough on LHH's as well with Tallet who has given up just the one single in 7 tries vs. Votto and Bruce with 3 K's (all vs. Votto). Not that they worry me but it would be nice to have that big RH thumper between the 2 of these guys.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The Jays are somewhat like the Reds, lots of young SP's and depth at AAA. How they are different? 18 games against the Yankees, Rays and Red Sox.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?