Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minor League Award Winners

Minor League Award Winners

Congrats to:

Devin Mesoraco: Sheldon "Chief" Bender Award winner (Reds Minor League Player of the Year).

Donnie Joseph: Reds Minor League Pitcher of the Year

Dave Sappelt: Reds Minor League Hitter of the Year

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor League Award Winners

They were difficult decisions, but it's hard to argue with those choices.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Congrats to:

Devin Mesoraco: Sheldon "Chief" Bender Award winner (Reds Minor League Player of the Year).

Donnie Joseph: Reds Minor League Pitcher of the Year

Dave Sappelt: Reds Minor League Hitter of the Year
    I wonder if Chapman was under consideration for Minor League Pitcher of the year. If so, that had to be a difficult decision.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    They were difficult decisions, but it's hard to argue with those choices.
    I would have taken Hotchkiss over Joseph (and did in my post season awards). Hotchkiss gave the Reds 130 innings of 2.42 ERA baseball in the minors this year. Donnie Joseph gave them 65 innings of 2.08 ERA baseball. I will take the guy who gave you twice as many innings.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would have taken Hotchkiss over Joseph (and did in my post season awards). Hotchkiss gave the Reds 130 innings of 2.42 ERA baseball in the minors this year. Donnie Joseph gave them 65 innings of 2.08 ERA baseball. I will take the guy who gave you twice as many innings.

That's a good point. Then again, you might not want to leave your minor league pitcher of the year unprotected for Rule 5.

No real argument here but at the same time, wasn't Sappelt a 1/2 step ahead of Mesoraco as they both climbed 3 levels? (I accept that for a Catcher to have those numbers is somewhat special).

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    That's a good point. Then again, you might not want to leave your minor league pitcher of the year unprotected for Rule 5.
    There is a difference between being the pitcher of the year and a great prospect. Hotchkiss had a fantastic year. He isn't a very good prospect. Solid prospect, yes, but not someone likely to be taken at all in the Rule V, at least not at this point.

I'm surprised it wasn't Hotchkiss. As mentioned I think Joseph is the better prospect and potentially has closer stuff, but Hotchkiss put up solid #'s while starting the entire year. Either one would've been fine with me though
    Go Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by StubbsFan#6 View Post
    I'm surprised it wasn't Hotchkiss. As mentioned I think Joseph is the better prospect and potentially has closer stuff, but Hotchkiss put up solid #'s while starting the entire year. Either one would've been fine with me though
    Hotchkiss actually split his time starting and relieving, but he threw twice as many innings which is why I would have given him the award.

If this has been posted previously I apologize. Awards are awards!

Bats Win Baseball America's Bob Freitas Award
    By Nick Evans / Louisville Bats11/29/2010 1:04 PM ETComments (0)Facebook Tweet Digg Print Email LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Baseball America has announced that the Louisville Bats franchise has been awarded the 2010 Bob Freitas "Organization of the Year" Award for the Triple-A level for their successful 2010 season and continued contribution to Minor League Baseball.
    "We are very proud to receive the Baseball America Bob Freitas Award for Triple-A baseball," said Louisville Bats president Gary Ulmer. "We believe that this is the most prestigious and desirable award in Minor League Baseball, as it recognizes long term excellence in business and community involvement. With great fans and support from the city of Louisville, helping us keep Louisville Slugger Field beautiful, we have been able to provide affordable, quality entertainment in a great ballpark for many years and will continue to do so in the future."

The Freitas Award is named in honor of longtime Minor League Ambassador Bob Freitas and is awarded to franchises that are "on a path of long-term excellence and true parts of their communities." This marks the second time Louisville has won this prestigious award, the first time being in 1999.

"Baseball America is pleased to recognize the Louisville Bats as its 2010 Bob Freitas Award winner for the Triple-A classification," said Baseball America president Lee Folger. "The franchise shows a commitment to the Louisville community that is consistent with long-term success. The Bats set a strong example for franchise operations in the way they invest in their downtown facility, provide a terrific entertainment value, and demonstrate solid franchise management. As a result, the Bats achieve consistent yearly strong attendance numbers and have earned industry respect."

The Bats will be presented with the 2010 Bob Freitas Award on December 6 at the 2010 Baseball Winter Meetings in Orlando, Florida.

The 2010 season marked the 11th consecutive season that attendance figures eclipsed 600,000, with a mark of 613,020. The 2011 season will be the 12th year at Louisville Slugger Field and the 12th season as an affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds.

Louisville opens their 2011 season at home on Thursday, April 7 vs. Toledo at 6:35.

Christmas Packs, full season tickets, mini plans, group outings and suite rentals are available by calling the Bats' front office at (502) 212-2287 or by visiting www.batsbaseball.com.

Turn Off Ads?