Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: IU Football Coaching Search

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    IU Football Coaching Search

    It looks like IU is looking at three assistant coaches for its head coaching gig.

    Read my write up of Coordinators to Head Coaches here; www.crimsoncast.com

    Update: All sources are pointing towards Kevin Wilson, the Oklahoma Offensive Coordinator. There was a lot of chatter over the weekend, Fuzzy Zoeller's charter jet reportedly went to Norman OK and back today, and there's a team meeting tomorrow at 3 PM.

    http://www.idsnews.com/blogs/hoosierhype/?p=14222
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 12-06-2010 at 05:00 PM.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,391

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    How does that make you feel HR? I'm not an IU fan and I'm actually not much of a college football fan in general so I don't know the guy in question.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Well our last hire from Oklahoma worked out well.

    I'm somewhat concerned hiring a coordinator rather than a head coach but to be honest from the head coach candidates, none really grabbed me.

    Minnesota hired Jerry Kill who along with Kevin Sumlin is what I'd consider the top mid level college coach available.(I'm assuming Brady Hoke's now off the market.) And to be honest, if IU hired Jerry Kill or Kevin Sumlin, or Brady Hoke my reaction would be eh?

    On the one hand, hiring a coordinator with no head coaching experience has worked out very well in the case of Bob Stoops or Mike Leach, but like a casino gambler when the move fails you don't really hear about it, they hire their next coach and mention 10000 times how experienced he is.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  5. #4
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,522

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Kevin Wilson has ties to the Big Ten and to Terry Hoeppner. His resume is impressive.

    http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/12/06...coach-tuesday/

    http://www.soonersports.com/school-b...in_wilson.html

    If he surrounds himself with the right defensive staff/players, this could turn out to be a terrific hire.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    I agree, the connection to Hep is a nice extra piece. He'll have to make good hires on the defensive side, but combined with the new facilities, he should be able to recruit well. I'm really warming up to the hire.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  7. #6
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Admittedly, I don't know word one about the college coaching scene, but it seems to me the biggest problem for Indiana is trying to compete in the Big Ten recruiting game, which I figure might require a coach of some notoriety. To which I say, Kevin who?

    How many high school standouts know who he is? No matter how good a coach, that has to handicap him at least in his first few recruiting seasons. He would need to survive a few years, work a few minor miracles with the personnel on hand and compete in the Big Ten, with hopes that success would breed familiarity and desirability for the program, an uphill climb, to say the least. My prediction is this pick (if true) will be derided by the Hoosier faithful.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  8. #7
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Herald Times reporting an announcement about Wilson to be made today at 4pm.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  9. #8
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Admittedly, I don't know word one about the college coaching scene, but it seems to me the biggest problem for Indiana is trying to compete in the Big Ten recruiting game, which I figure might require a coach of some notoriety. To which I say, Kevin who?

    How many high school standouts know who he is? No matter how good a coach, that has to handicap him at least in his first few recruiting seasons. He would need to survive a few years, work a few minor miracles with the personnel on hand and compete in the Big Ten, with hopes that success would breed familiarity and desirability for the program, an uphill climb, to say the least. My prediction is this pick (if true) will be derided by the Hoosier faithful.
    As long as he can come in and implement something that players will want to play for, he will be somewhat successful. I'd rather go with an offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator than a recruiting coordinator. At least you have some niche that may work. If you are a recruiting specialist, your job has always been on selling kids on playing for somebody else.

    The problem is trying to convince recruits to stay home and play for the Hoosiers when you have the following problems:

    1. Basketball overshadows football. As a Kentucky fan I can tell you this one hurts.

    2. Indiana isn't the most popular football school in the state right now. That title would belong to Notre Dame, but given the academics at ND, you might get some kids who couldn't make the grades there.

    3. Other prestigious schools can usually scoop up the top talent. Whoever this coach is needs to find the best players available to fit the system.

    Best of luck to IU and I hope this works out.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  10. #9
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The problem is trying to convince recruits to stay home and play for the Hoosiers when you have the following problems:

    1. Basketball overshadows football. As a Kentucky fan I can tell you this one hurts.

    2. Indiana isn't the most popular football school in the state right now. That title would belong to Notre Dame, but given the academics at ND, you might get some kids who couldn't make the grades there.

    3. Other prestigious schools can usually scoop up the top talent. Whoever this coach is needs to find the best players available to fit the system.

    Best of luck to IU and I hope this works out.
    I always figured the problem was there weren't many decent football players in Indiana. Have they missed out on in state talent recently?

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Admittedly, I don't know word one about the college coaching scene, but it seems to me the biggest problem for Indiana is trying to compete in the Big Ten recruiting game, which I figure might require a coach of some notoriety. To which I say, Kevin who?

    How many high school standouts know who he is? No matter how good a coach, that has to handicap him at least in his first few recruiting seasons. He would need to survive a few years, work a few minor miracles with the personnel on hand and compete in the Big Ten, with hopes that success would breed familiarity and desirability for the program, an uphill climb, to say the least. My prediction is this pick (if true) will be derided by the Hoosier faithful.
    That would probably be true if they hired a MAC level coach too. He may know his way around the state a little bit better, but there's no kid who grows up dreaming of playing for Jerry Kill or for Mike Heywood.(Both fine coaches.)

    One of the positives Bill Lynch brought was a good recruiter in state. He was well received and well respected by all the football coaches in the area, and he held up pretty well on the instate players. But that didn't get him very far.

    Anyway, obviously he'll need to make some inroads in recruiting, but with the state of the art facilities, and a guy who has been offensive coordinator for two Heisman Trophy winning candidates, that will hopefully be easier.

    One concern I've heard expressed was IU bringing in an offensive guy when the defense has been the anchor on the team for the past 10 years. I addressed that in my column here. DANGER CONTAINS SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 12-07-2010 at 04:50 PM.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I always figured the problem was there weren't many decent football players in Indiana. Have they missed out on in state talent recently?
    Actually the talent has grown pretty rapidly in recent years. Due to Pick any or all of the following; The Colts being good, The Pacers being criminals, the Pacers replacing criminals with bad basketball players, IU Basketball falling from it's previous lofty perch, the Colts being good, the end of One Class high school basketball tournament) Indiana is probably at least as much of a football state as a basketball state now.

    The problem in previous years was that Purdue was the in-state school of choice and schools like Notre Dame, THE Ohio State University, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin all got whatever was left before IU.

    Now however, Purdue only had three in-state players from its most recent two classes, and more and more people have been giving IU a chance in recruiting.
    The absolute top guys still are unlikely to come to IU, but there's about 20 kids per class who can all play in the Big 10 who are looking at IU now that weren't before. If IU can get a majority of those, they'll have enough talent to compete in the Big 10+2.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As long as he can come in and implement something that players will want to play for, he will be somewhat successful. I'd rather go with an offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator than a recruiting coordinator. At least you have some niche that may work. If you are a recruiting specialist, your job has always been on selling kids on playing for somebody else.

    The problem is trying to convince recruits to stay home and play for the Hoosiers when you have the following problems:

    1. Basketball overshadows football. As a Kentucky fan I can tell you this one hurts.

    2. Indiana isn't the most popular football school in the state right now. That title would belong to Notre Dame, but given the academics at ND, you might get some kids who couldn't make the grades there.

    3. Other prestigious schools can usually scoop up the top talent. Whoever this coach is needs to find the best players available to fit the system.

    Best of luck to IU and I hope this works out.
    #1 I agree with all of these, but as Kentucky has shown, there are ways to make the basketball tradition a plus rather than a minus. If Kevin Wilson gets IU to 5 consecutive bowl games, they'll build a statue for him.

    #2 Notre Dame has always recruited nationally, so it's not as big of a factor as you'd think. But until recently, Purdue was the #1 team in terms of instate talent. As I said in a previous post, that has started to change.

    #3 This is a huge problem, whether it was Rex Grossman going from Bloomington to Florida, or Morgan Newton heading from Carmel IN to Kentucky, IU has to keep its top players in state and more importantly in Bloomington.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  14. #13
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    #1 I agree with all of these, but as Kentucky has shown, there are ways to make the basketball tradition a plus rather than a minus. If Kevin Wilson gets IU to 5 consecutive bowl games, they'll build a statue for him.
    It's not really all that tough nowadays. In fact as bad as IU was this year they were only one win short. They can use the UK formula and that is to schedule 4 patsy non conference teams and then figure out a way to pick off two wins in conference

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's not really all that tough nowadays. In fact as bad as IU was this year they were only one win short. They can use the UK formula and that is to schedule 4 patsy non conference teams and then figure out a way to pick off two wins in conference
    IU caught a lot of heat from its fanbase for its out of conference schedule this year. I don't think its as sure of a thing that IU could draw 50,000 no matter the opposition which has to factor into it as well. But I definitely see a lot of good things from the Bill Snyder/Glen Mason school of scheduling.

    IU's pretty locked in to the schedule for the next few years of 1 1AA level team at home, 1 MAC or Sun Belt level team at home, 1 MAC or Sun Belt level team on the road, and 1 lower level BCS team or high quality non BCS team alternating home and road. I think the first two teams in this slot are Wake Forest and Navy. So in general, IU should be at least 3-1 coming out of non-conference every year.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  16. #15
    Member redhawkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami township
    Posts
    547

    Re: IU Football Coaching Search

    Stay out of Oxford please!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25