Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep Yonder Alonso?

Re: Keep Yonder Alonso?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    This team has control over Votto for at least 3 More Seasons... Don't you think this team should move Alonso who has no position obviously to play because of his inability in Left, and 3B he has no business being over there, his range is super limited & arm is suspect for the Hot Corner...

This was a Bad Draft Pick IMO...

http://www.threewaychili.com/reds-20...ke-a-bust.html

So instead of holding on to a AAAA player for 3 years waiting on Votto to leave or not to leave, why wouldn't you trade from a position of strength and depth and try to add a piece to Improve the team for the next relevant 3 seasons...
    right now i just don't see that much value in the kid, he needs a good strong year at AAA before i see him having any real value.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    right now i just don't see that much value in the kid, he needs a good strong year at AAA before i see him having any real value.
    Ok Buster Olney... The only value he has is that he is a First Round pick who Might have potential... Ya know what I dont even know why I replied to this post...

Ok Buster Olney... The only value he has is that he is a First Round pick who Might have potential... Ya know what I dont even know why I replied to this post...
    Okay so how does he increase his trade value? The Reds need to put him at 1st base in Louisville, bat him either 3rd or 4th and leave him there all this coming season.

Okay so how does he increase his trade value? The Reds need to put him at 1st base in Louisville, bat him either 3rd or 4th and leave him there all this coming season.
    Well if nobody wants to give up anything of Value... Then yeah put him in AAA and not on the Bench... Problem is he got a Major League Contract so ya better hope he starts raking at AAA

Well if nobody wants to give up anything of Value... Then yeah put him in AAA and not on the Bench... Problem is he got a Major League Contract so ya better hope he starts raking at AAA
    right now i just don't he believe he has "that" much value to other teams at this point. Now sure he could be a throw in but it will be with someone like a Wood or Leake or Bailey type of player.

right now i just don't he believe he has "that" much value to other teams at this point. Now sure he could be a throw in but it will be with someone like a Wood or Leake or Bailey type of player.
    I don't think he is a "throw in"

I don't think he is a "throw in"
    what do you see him bringing to the table value wise at this point?

The Outfield Lies Yonder

By Hal McCoy
    FoxSportsOhio.com
    Feb. 16, 2011

GOODYEAR, Ariz. — Yonder Alonso walked through the Cincinnati Reds' spring training clubhouse on day one of spring training carrying an outfielder’s glove.

It isn’t the normal tool of his trade, but a man has to realize that sometimes he must trade in a hoe for a shovel.

His vocation is first baseman, but nobody had to scrawl a large message on the clubhouse wall to let Alonso know what’s going on.

With Joey Votto, the National League MVP, signed for a three-year tour of duty as the Reds’ first baseman, Alonso realizes he must make an adjustment — and not just a minor tweak, but a massive makeover.

“I have three outfielder’s gloves and only one first baseman’s glove,” said Alonso, the team’s No. 1 draft pick in 2008.

He is only 23 but he realizes he is a man without a position and must re-invent himself to make himself useful.

Asked what he did all winter at his Florida home, Alonso said, “Catch a lot of fly balls, a whole, whole lot of fly balls.”

continued at:
    http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/16/1...70&feedID=3592

I hope he can make a switch, but i fear it will expose him as nothing more then a glorified softball player and kill any trade value he has.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I hope he can make a switch, but i fear it will expose him as nothing more then a glorified softball player and kill any trade value he has.
    No one thinks he can play OF now. How would confirming what everyone already thinks effect his trade value at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    No one thinks he can play OF now. How would confirming what everyone already thinks effect his trade value at all?
    Someone might think he can still play first and be willing to trade for that, hence, still has value as a first baseman.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Someone might think he can still play first and be willing to trade for that, hence, still has value as a first baseman.
    Your not making much sense.

Huh, what doesn't make sense? Put him in the outfield and confirm what everyone thinks-he can't play and then has no value. If you keep him at first and someone may still think he is a prospect and still has trade value. What dont you understand, I can't explain it much more simplified then that.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Huh, what doesn't make sense? Put him in the outfield and confirm what everyone thinks-he can't play and then has no value. If you keep him at first and someone may still think he is a prospect and still has trade value. What dont you understand, I can't explain it much more simplified then that.
    I believe what he's trying to say is that even if he fails as an outfielder, people will still think he can play first base, and thus he will still have value.

I dont see how putting him in the outfield in anyway diminishes his value as a first baseman. The positions are entirely different. Besides the fact that Alsonso's value is pretty much based soley on his bat anyway. Its his abilitiy to hit that'll get him to the bigs, not his defense.

Besides if he proves adequate in the outfield and starts hitting like he's suppose to, he would make a nice additional piece to this team in left field. Also you have to love that fact that he is trying to improve himself and make himself useful. Not just playing first and waiting for a trade.

Turn Off Ads?