Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep Yonder Alonso?

Keep Yonder Alonso?

If Joey Votto decides not to be here long term do you think it would be in the best interest for the team to keep Alonso as a back-up plan at first base. I mean I know it seems trading him is what everyone wants to do right now, but it might just be in the best interest of the team to keep him around as a bench player this year and seeing if he will be worth letting Joey go sign somewhere else for tons of money. None of us want to see Joey go, but the reality of the world tells us that we more than likely won't be able to afford keeping him long term and keeping a big enough payroll to stay competitive. Especially after seeing what Adrian Gonzalez is asking for and what Jason Werth got paid to play in Washington. Just a thought.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keep Yonder Alonso?

I say you do the following:
    Trade Yonder (and a few others) now and make this team better (now) by adding elite or close to it player(s).
    Votto is here for a at least 3 years. In 3 years time the Reds can draft a few other 1B options. If one doesn't develope then sign a veteran who can still drive in 100RBI and hit 30 HR. There out there in this free agent market. I'm sure in 2014 there will be options.
    Last edited by Redsnake; 12-06-2010 at 07:58 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

1B is typically the easiest position to replace/fill. I'm not worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    Trade Yonder (and a few others) now and make this team better (now) by adding elite or close to it player(s).
    Votto is here for a at least 3 years. In 3 years time the Reds can draft a few other 1B options. If one doesn't develope then sign a veteran who can still drive in 100RBI and hit 30 HR. There out there in this free agent market. I'm sure in 2014 there will be options.
    I agree. We have a good young squad and will be contenders next year. Why not use Yonder to build on this now. Joey is a lock (barring injury) for 3 years, we can't just keep Yonder around to be Joey's back up which is essentially what'd we be doing by hanging on to him.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    1B is typically the easiest position to replace/fill. I'm not worried about it.
    Joey Votto is not only the Reds 1B, he's the #3 hitter, the hammer in the lineup.

That's not so easy to replace.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    According to one poster on here in another thread "Trade idea with the Nats", Alonso is only worth middle infielder Ian Desmond, straight up...

Not even!

I agree with you, Trade Alonso now in a package of players for an ACE Starter to stabalize the rotation and roll the dice on the next 3 years with Votto on the team...

The next 3 years the Reds have the opportunity to win so the Front Office must act now to win...

Sign Crawford, Sign Lee and even if the payroll goes to 100 Million. Then thats what you spend. The Time is now.

Not rebuilding anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    According to one poster on here in another thread "Trade idea with the Nats", Alonso is only worth middle infielder Ian Desmond, straight up...

Not even!

I agree with you, Trade Alonso now in a package of players for an ACE Starter to stabalize the rotation and roll the dice on the next 3 years with Votto on the team...

The next 3 years the Reds have the opportunity to win so the Front Office must act now to win...

Sign Crawford, Sign Lee and even if the payroll goes to 100 Million. Then thats what you spend. The Time is now.

Not rebuilding anymore.
    well that definitly sounds fun. i guess ur more of a fan of the FLA marlins style of just do whatever it takes for one year to win then suck for 5-7 years afterwards. or you could be minnesota twins style and not take big risks but manage the payroll and talent very well to keep sustained success.

its kinda like would you take 1 WS then 9 losing seasons, then another WS then 9 losing seasons etc, etc. or would you rather just go to the playoffs 9/10 years but never win the WS?

not saying i disagree but its just not gonna happen. walt setting this thing up to be a good team every year, not just 1 or 2 then rebuild 8 out of 10 years.
    Last edited by webbbj; 12-07-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    well that definitly sounds fun. i guess ur more of a fan of the FLA marlins style of just do whatever it takes for one year to win then suck for 5-7 years afterwards. or you could be minnesota twins style and not take big risks but manage the payroll and talent very well to keep sustained success.

its kinda like would you take 1 WS then 9 losing seasons, then another WS then 9 losing seasons etc, etc. or would you rather just go to the playoffs 9/10 years but never win the WS?

not saying i disagree but its just not gonna happen. walt setting this thing up to be a good team every year, not just 1 or 2 then rebuild 8 out of 10 years.
    No, not a fan of the Florida Marlins.

But with the team always in rebuilding mode... They finally have some pieces and made it to the post season. Why wait to develop more pitching by the time the pitching and a new lead off hitter are Marquee players...

Time will have passed this team by... Especially if Joey Votto is not resigned...

I hope the Reds keep Yonder and look to deal Votto while his value is at its peek.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I just dont think Yonder will ever be an impact player with the Reds, and would be open to trading him for another piece we need now.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I just dont think Yonder will ever be an impact player with the Reds, and would be open to trading him for another piece we need now.
    Agreed. Alonso hasn't really dominated at any level of the minors, and in a very small sampling with the big boys, he was overmatched, IMO. I just don't see any MLB team giving up much for him alone. If the Reds can use him in a package to get something for now, go for it.

Not a bad idea to hold only Alonso until Votto is signed to a long-term contract. The price for Votto right now, though seems to be $20M per year. The REDS don't have that kind of money, so they are probably forced to try to make a $60M/5-year deal, and see if he takes it. Votto can go for the $20M when that one expires.

If a good offer comes then deal him. Joey is not going anywhere. Our owner has shown that when he wants to he will shell out the money. It might take some strong negotiations but he will not let Votto walk.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Agreed. Alonso hasn't really dominated at any level of the minors, and in a very small sampling with the big boys, he was overmatched, IMO. I just don't see any MLB team giving up much for him alone. If the Reds can use him in a package to get something for now, go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    If a good offer comes then deal him. Joey is not going anywhere. Our owner has shown that when he wants to he will shell out the money. It might take some strong negotiations but he will not let Votto walk.
    + 1

let him go for other, more urgent needs.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Yonder needs to prove he can hit ML pitching, plus his glove is horrible

Turn Off Ads?