Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How much is my son going to love Jay Bruce?

How much is my son going to love Jay Bruce?

I was thinking last evening about how my 19 month old boy should, if all things go accordingly to plan, have an engaging, immensely talented superstar to follow though much of his childhood. It's not too tough to imagine that in a few years I will be taking my then 6 year old to watch his favorite player who is one of the best in the game. That's a pretty exciting thought, on many levels.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How much is my son going to love Jay Bruce?

That's one thing this team has been lacking for a long time. Since the BRM, we haven't had that real superstar player in his prime for people to latch onto. Granted it's very early in his career, but watching someone develop into a superstar is a great way to get lots of new fans.

don't jinx him or anything......geez....

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post
    don't jinx him or anything......geez....
    I know this might come as a surprise, but whatever I say on redszone is not going to alter Jay Bruce's career one way or another. In any event, I said "if all goes according to plan," acknowledging that nothing was a sure thing.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I know this might come as a surprise, but whatever I say on redszone is not going to alter Jay Bruce's career one way or another. In any event, I said "if all goes according to plan," acknowledging that nothing was a sure thing.

no way! haha

I think Adam Dunn is worthy of a kid's undieing devotion. However he is already a little loong in the tooth for your 19 month old to follow... Just saying though

Part of me worries about overhyping Bruce and putting too much on him.

On the other hand, his calm and fun demeanor in how he plays the game, makes me believe he can handle it.

It would be hard to believe he would go from superstud of all the minor leagues, a favorite of every scout in baseball, to a bust. Just can't see that.

Anyway, his fun-loving attitude at how he plays the game is contagious. I am enjoying this more than I have in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post

On the other hand, his calm and fun demeanor in how he plays the game, makes me believe he can handle it.

It would be hard to believe he would go from superstud of all the minor leagues, a favorite of every scout in baseball, to a bust. Just can't see that.

Anyway, his fun-loving attitude at how he plays the game is contagious. I am enjoying this more than I have in awhile.

I think his attitude and everything about him are carrying over to the other players as well... Just seems like they think they're going to win now...

I think everybody needs to slow their role with the kid.

At least give him a month. If he keeps this pace through a month.

Than fine lets go buy his jerseys.

Every player gets hot.

Hell look at corey patterson for the first few games.

Lets not forget Bruce was tied with ADAM dunn in strikeouts in AAA. I cant imagine that stat just dissapearing completely when he comes up to the bigs.

Well, today the fantastic mystical vision continues! Wish I'd been there to see his 1st MLB HR. I was there Tuesday for his debut, and will be there tomorrow (Sunday). He seems to be equal to all the expectations. This team just might be getting it together, on the shoulders of a 21 yr. old no less. What a model for young people.........

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    I think everybody needs to slow their role with the kid.

At least give him a month. If he keeps this pace through a month.

Than fine lets go buy his jerseys.

Every player gets hot.

Hell look at corey patterson for the first few games.

Lets not forget Bruce was tied with ADAM dunn in strikeouts in AAA. I cant imagine that stat just dissapearing completely when he comes up to the bigs.

Dunn hasn't struck out that much this year. It's not that bad man.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

meuth-

This is a GREAT post man. Your son is going to be a lucky kid. And what better for a father and his boy. I'm jealous.... all I'm missing is the son. We all have bruce.... happy time for us now isn't it.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I don't think the pressure of playing in Cincy will be too great. Our fans and media are very kind compared to a number of teams out there.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I was thinking last evening about how my 19 month old boy should, if all things go accordingly to plan, have an engaging, immensely talented superstar to follow though much of his childhood. It's not too tough to imagine that in a few years I will be taking my then 6 year old to watch his favorite player who is one of the best in the game. That's a pretty exciting thought, on many levels.
    I use this screen name for many sites and occasionally will put it into google to see what pops up. I did so a bit ago and this thread, from three years ago, popped up in the results. Cool memory. And prescient; Jack loves Jay Bruce. See below link.

YouTube - Jack watching Jay Bruce walk-off

Frickin awesome!!! Great find, has to be fun to reflect on after a couple years now!! Enjoy the season, pops and son!!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I started reading this thread without realizing it was from 2008. Was freaking out a little at the Adam Dunn talk. Then finally looked at the date of the thread. Thought I was having a Twilight Zone moment for awhile.

Great thread though, and awesome that the little guy got to see one of the great moments in Reds history. That was the only Reds game I got to see last year and it will always be one of the most special sports moments I've ever witnessed in person. The only way it could have been better is if my son had been there with me. Hopefully you and your son will be able to share many of those special moments together in the upcoming years.

Turn Off Ads?