Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep Yonder Alonso?

Re: Keep Yonder Alonso?

It would decrease his value as whoever the new team is that gets him will have to transition him back to first base.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How does it decrease his value? Its not like he would have to relearn how to play first base. If he CAN play outfield it only increases his value to the reds and as a tradable player. Like Ponyboy said, everyone already thinks he can't play the outfield. So theres no way it can hurt his value it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner44 View Post
    How does it decrease his value? Its not like he would have to relearn how to play first base. If he CAN play outfield it only increases his value to the reds and as a tradable player. Like Ponyboy said, everyone already thinks he can't play the outfield. So theres no way it can hurt his value it all.
    He would have to relearn a little bit. I'm not saying it would be significant, but he would lose a little value as he would have a slight adjustment period moving back.

I think Alonso's main value is tied up in his bat, though.

If they have a chance to trade Alonso I think they should. Even if they trade Votto it would probably be in his final contract year. That way they would have him for two years and then get something for him in return before he walks away as afree agent and they get nothing. I guess they could put Alonso in AAA for two more years with a few games in the majors mixes in. But he is almost 24 now and only needs at most half a season in AAA. If someone wants him and is willing to offer a high level prospect at a position the Reds need (3B, LF, or SS) then they should do it. Or it is possible that they would use Alonso as part of a package with Cordero to sweeten the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    He would have to relearn a little bit. I'm not saying it would be significant, but he would lose a little value as he would have a slight adjustment period moving back.

I think Alonso's main value is tied up in his bat, though.
    Alonso has played 1B his entire professional and collegiate career. Any team that trades for Alonso with the intention of playing him at 1B wouldnt think for a minute that his playing a little OF would effect his ability to play 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    If they have a chance to trade Alonso I think they should. Even if they trade Votto it would probably be in his final contract year. That way they would have him for two years and then get something for him in return before he walks away as afree agent and they get nothing. I guess they could put Alonso in AAA for two more years with a few games in the majors mixes in. But he is almost 24 now and only needs at most half a season in AAA. If someone wants him and is willing to offer a high level prospect at a position the Reds need (3B, LF, or SS) then they should do it. Or it is possible that they would use Alonso as part of a package with Cordero to sweeten the deal.
    In my opinion this is a bad time to trade Alonso as his value is low, but could skyrocket in the next few months:

First, the Reds need to see how much he has improved in LF over the winter. If he can be a Gomes-level defender or better out there then the Reds should keep him and make him the every day LF.

If he can't play LF, then the Reds need to send him to Louisville to play 1B and hope that he mashes for the first half of the season. If Alonso is OPSing .950+ in June his value will go through the roof. He will be one of the most sought after prospects in baseball. I think that the chances of this happening are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    Alonso has played 1B his entire professional and collegiate career. Any team that trades for Alonso with the intention of playing him at 1B wouldnt think for a minute that his playing a little OF would effect his ability to play 1B.
    So? I played drums most of my life up until three years ago and haven't played since. If I wanted to pick it up again, it would take a little bit for me to get back to where I was before. He would be able to play 1B, but he would have to transition back. This isn't MLB 2K11, guys don't have some set of numbers attached to them that they immediately fulfill when they switch position.

If we can get a #1 or 2 pitcher in a deal with Yonder and other prospects I say take it.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    So? I played drums most of my life up until three years ago and haven't played since. If I wanted to pick it up again, it would take a little bit for me to get back to where I was before. He would be able to play 1B, but he would have to transition back. This isn't MLB 2K11, guys don't have some set of numbers attached to them that they immediately fulfill when they switch position.
    If he was traded to Seattle he would also have to transition into wearing a raincoat more often. I'm not saying he couldnt make that transition, but it would take some amount of getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    If he was traded to Seattle he would also have to transition into wearing a raincoat more often. I'm not saying he couldnt make that transition, but it would take some amount of getting used to.
    Better not trade him to Seattle, then.

Although word on the street is that Alonso is quite polished with his umbrella usage.
    Last edited by lonewolf371; 02-18-2011 at 04:49 PM.

I like that the Reds are trying him somewhere besides 1st. Pujols 1st year in the Majors he was considered a Utility player, Big Mac had 1st. ( I think I remember him playing some 3rd, too). Then I believe the next two yrs. (maybe one) he played LF, (Big Mac, and/or Martinez at 1st). This is one reason I can't help but admire Pujols. He wanted to play, and he was fine with wherever there was a spot. Alonzo could do likewise, biding his time to take over 1st, because if Votto continues to play like he did in '10, in 3 yrs. there is no way the Reds could afford to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner44 View Post
    because Power hitting poor fielding 1st baseman with low averages are a dime a dozen

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I like that the Reds are trying him somewhere besides 1st. Pujols 1st year in the Majors he was considered a Utility player, Big Mac had 1st. ( I think I remember him playing some 3rd, too). Then I believe the next two yrs. (maybe one) he played LF, (Big Mac, and/or Martinez at 1st). This is one reason I can't help but admire Pujols. He wanted to play, and he was fine with wherever there was a spot. Alonzo could do likewise, biding his time to take over 1st, because if Votto continues to play like he did in '10, in 3 yrs. there is no way the Reds could afford to keep him.
    Exactly how I feel.On packaging prospects for a number one starter,I feel we have enough young arms with high ceilings.I can see trading prospects for prospects to address a particular need.3rd or lft field,short,whatever.

I wonder what other MLB scouts think of him. Anyone have any links?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    because Power hitting poor fielding 1st baseman with low averages are a dime a dozen
    Where do you get low averages? He's 23 and he was 11th in batting average in the International league last year. 3 of the guys ahead of him were in their 30's, only one other guy with a better IL batting average was under 25 and that's Freddy Freeman.

Turn Off Ads?