Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trade Idea with Tampa Bay

Trade Idea with Tampa Bay

The Rays are trying to cut salary and add top young players at the same time. They do need a 1st baseman, and bullpen help, of which we are stocked with so why not look at them for a trade partner!

My Proposal:

Reds trade:

1)Yonder Alonzo- blocked by Votto, would give the Rays a top prospect at a position of need.

2)Logan Ondrusek-fills middle relief role for them.

3)Brad Boxberger(AA)-middle of rotation prospect

Rays trade:

1) Matt Garza-he becomes our #1 and allows us to have a solid rotation w/o overpaying for someone like Grienke, as the Rays need to create a rotation spot for Jeremy Hellickson.

Reds rotation thus becomes very deep:
    1)Garza
    2)Arroyo
    3)Cueto
    4)Wood
    5)Leake/Volquez/Bailey/ Chapman

thus allowing us to package 1-2 of the 5th starters to a team for a legit LF!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Trade Idea with Tampa Bay!

That would be way over paying for Garza. The Reds do not "need" to acquire a starting pitcher. Yes, you can never have enough pitching, but if the Reds were going to make a deal with Tampa it would be for Jason Bartlett or Reid Brignac.

I've seen Garza suggested a few players. He'd certainly be a nice addition, but as an extreme flyball pitcher (8th lowest GB:FB of 92 qualified SP), I'd be a bit concerned about his HR rate.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    if the Reds were going to make a deal with Tampa it would be for Jason Bartlett
    No need to get Jason Bartlett. If you want a SS, look no further than Brendan Ryan! I guarantee you he will be traded soon, and the Cards will probably give him away. I hope that doesnt happen, but for some reason they want him gone. IMO, it will be a mistake to trade Ryan.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    No need to get Jason Bartlett. If you want a SS, look no further than Brendan Ryan! I guarantee you he will be traded soon, and the Cards will probably give him away. I hope that doesnt happen, but for some reason they want him gone. IMO, it will be a mistake to trade Ryan.

I'd love to get Brendan Ryan. I think he remains your best internal SS option.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'd love to get Brendan Ryan. I think he remains your best internal SS option.
    He is easily our best fielding option. I like that we traded for Theriot, but I don't like how he has been given the SS position without any competition whatsoever. We need both him and Ryan on the team. I really think last year was a fluke with Ryan, and would like to see him given a chance to rebound. I doubt it will be with the Cards though. Somebody doesn't like him, and that usually means that you are gone one way or the other in St. Louis. Either traded or given an outright release.

Chris Valaika + Matt Fairel for Brendan Ryan?

Am I overlooking something with Brendan Ryan or is he a worse hitter than Paul Janish?

Pass.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Am I overlooking something with Brendan Ryan or is he a worse hitter than Paul Janish?

Pass.
    Well, Ryan isn't a very good hitter. What you are overlooking with Ryan is that he can get to balls that other Shortstops just can't get to. I figured that once the Cards traded for Berkman that they would keep Ryan. At least Ryan would keep a lot of balls from getting to Berkman. lol

Re: Trade Idea with Tampa Bay

Matty -- Not saying Ryan isn't good defensively, but isn't that Janish's upside as well, with the glove?

Someone may want Ryan as a shortstop who has range is needed, but it seems Janish would fit that niche for the Reds.

Just My opinion.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Re: Trade Idea with Tampa Bay

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Matty -- Not saying Ryan isn't good defensively, but isn't that Janish's upside as well, with the glove?

Someone may want Ryan as a shortstop who has range is needed, but it seems Janish would fit that niche for the Reds.

Just My opinion.
    That may be true. Although, I think that Brendan has more potential than he has shown with his bat so far in his career. I think that if he had a Manager that he could relax around, then he would probably start putting up better offensive numbers. Somebody is going to get a good deal with Ryan, because the Cards seem desperate to deal him.

The question that I have is why can't he be a backup SS for the Cards? There were rumors that the Rockies were interested in him. We all know he won't be a Starter in Colorado.

I'd say, trade for Ryan and save some money, and let him and Janish compete for the job.

Turn Off Ads?