Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Isn't this borderline irresponsible?

Isn't this borderline irresponsible?

Jocketty on #reds: "We've had zero conversations with agents or clubs today."

I mean, I'm not asking for a seven-player trade each day of the meetings, but this is borderline ridiculous. I think I have done more to try to improve the Reds team today than the Reds have. That is sad, especially on what is supposed to be the busiest week of the offseason.

Have patience. It's only one day. Etc. Etc.

I just wanted to throw this out there for cathartic reasons. In lieu of complaining, I'll suggest three very doable deals (based off of media reports) that the Reds SHOULD be talking about:

1. Trade Francisco Cordero and (insert your least favorite SP here) to the Mets for Jose Reyes.
    2. Trade Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey and Ramon Hernandez to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp.
    3. Trade Yonder Alonso and Chris Heisey to the D-Rays for BJ Upton.

1. Mets are shopping Reyes and need starting and relief pitching help.
    2. Dodgers may be shedding salary with the lawsuit settlement and Kemp has fallen out of favor. Loney is on the block, Martin is out of town, and they'd need a replacement for Kemp.
    3. The D-Rays have a need to get cheaper and a gaping hole at 1B.

Reyes and/or Upton could lead off. Upton and/or Kemp would both be great defensive LF. Kemp would bring speed AND power to the lineup. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-07-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Isn't this borderline irresponsible?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Jocketty on #reds: "We've had zero conversations with agents or clubs today."

I mean, I'm not asking for a seven-player trade each day of the meetings, but this is borderline ridiculous. I think I have done more to try to improve the Reds team today than the Reds have. That is sad, especially on what is supposed to be the busiest week of the offseason.

Have patience. It's only one day. Etc. Etc.

I just wanted to throw this out there for cathartic reasons.
    I think it's reprehensible if it's true. But I also know that Jocketty may or may not be disguising his intentions.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

At the 1957 meetings both the Cards and the Reds didn't do much, right before they split the Reds GM (Gabe Paul) pulled Bing Devine aside and said, "We both haven't done anything, let's get together, pound out a deal at least to say we did something."

That's how the Reds ended up losing Curt Flood.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    At the 1957 meetings both the Cards and the Reds didn't do much, right before they split the Reds GM (Gabe Paul) pulled Bing Devine aside and said, "We both haven't done anything, let's get together, pound out a deal at least to say we did something."

That's how the Reds ended up losing Curt Flood.
    I'm not saying you have to do something, I'm saying you should at least be talking and exploring what's out there.
    Go BLUE!!!

GM speak probably shouldn't be given a lot of credence this time of year.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I think it's reprehensible if it's true. But I also know that Jocketty may or may not be disguising his intentions.
    I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this quote could possibly be productive. It's one thing to not say much or be purposely vague (ie Krivsky) regarding who you're talking to. But to say that we've had zero conversations at all does nothing but cause fans like us to get disgusted and lose interest in the meetings. Isn't the objective of the offseason to build interest, not stick your middle finger up at fans who enjoy following this stuff?
    Go BLUE!!!

RZ loves trades and all but really it's no big deal. So what if a day went by without discussing trades?

What would happen if you said publicly I did zero work today at the office during one of the most important days of the year for your company? That is essentially what he is saying during one of the biggest days of the offseason. Again even if true, why would you say it, at least, in those words?
    Go BLUE!!!

Isn't the objective of the offseason to build interest
    No. The objective of the off season is to build a ball club. Jocketty really isn't responsible for titillating us even if mlb has latched onto the notion of titillating fans as a marketing ploy.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

What would happen if you said publicly I did zero work today at the office during one of the most important days of the year for your company? That is essentially what he is saying during one of the biggest days of the offseason. Again even if true, why would you say it, at least, in those words?
    Maybe he wants you to think that he wants you to think that he wants you to think that he hasn't done anything?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this quote could possibly be productive. It's one thing to not say much or be purposely vague (ie Krivsky) regarding who you're talking to. But to say that we've had zero conversations at all does nothing but cause fans like us to get disgusted and lose interest in the meetings. Isn't the objective of the offseason to build interest, not stick your middle finger up at fans who enjoy following this stuff?
    I think the objective of the offseason is to let players rest and recharge. I don't think it was ever meant to be a spectator sport.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    No. The objective of the off season is to build a ball club. Jocketty really isn't responsible for titillating us even if mlb has latched onto the notion of titillating fans as a marketing ploy.
    And to build interest, I guarantee you that. Clearly you don't have much of an understanding of the business element to running a ballclub.

Moreover, how does "having zero converstions with any agents or clubs" help build a ball club during one of the busiest times of the year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think the objective of the offseason is to let players rest and recharge. I don't think it was ever meant to be a spectator sport.
    Really? Then why does every major sport now televise their draft? Does the MLB Network (run by MLB) shut off for the duration of the offseason?
    Go BLUE!!!

I love trade rumors, I love speculation, but I think you've gone way overboard saying its borderline ridiculous or irresponsible.

It's one day. It's one day through the filter of a tight lipped GM further diluted by a media source who tends to sensationalize even the most trivial of things.

Don't beat your head against the wall over it and certainly don't whack Walt over the noggin because of a throw away comment delivered in vacation land.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Just because they spent one day not discussing trades means just that. They worked on other stuff. Big deal. Spring training doesn't start for four months. Frankly, if all they did was sit around and ponder trades, THAT would be irresponsible.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?