Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It Was 30 Years Ago Today....

Re: It Was 30 Years Ago Today....

2016 will be a big year for Pearl Harbor. I also suspect it will be among the last opportunities for survivors to gather and remember that day. We're losing our WWII vets at too fast of rate, sadly.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I was nearly 13 years old when John Lennon was killed. I remember telling my mom that I was sick the next morning so that I could stay home from school and listen to all of the tributes that were taking place on FM radio.

On another note, I just listened to the archived clip of Howard Cosell debating with Frank Gifford about how/if they should announce Lennon's death to the Monday Night Football audience that evening:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5884604

First of all, I desperately miss Cosell as a broadcast personality. My other take away was that, for most people, the MNF broadcast was the first notification that they had about the tragedy.

No internet, no cable news shows, no cell phones. How utterly bizarre it is that this event played a role in the pop culture evolution for Monday Night Football.
    Frank Gifford wrote about this in his autobiography "The Whole Ten Yards."
    I have no idea where my copy of the book is, which I read maybe 15 years ago, but I can recall that Gifford also wrote about a visit Lennon made one night to MNF. Ronald Reagan, then just a former governor rather than a president (I guess this was in the mid-to-late 70s) was also visiting MNF. Anyway, Gifford wrote about Reagan explaining American football to Lennon as they both watched the game. Gifford remarked about how it would be hard to think of two individuals who were more different from each other than Reagan and Lennon, yet at least that night they got along famously. It was a charming account.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I have no idea where my copy of the book is, which I read maybe 15 years ago, but I can recall that Gifford also wrote about a visit Lennon made one night to MNF. Ronald Reagan, then just a former governor rather than a president (I guess this was in the mid-to-late 70s) was also visiting MNF. Anyway, Gifford wrote about Reagan explaining American football to Lennon as they both watched the game. Gifford remarked about how it would be hard to think of two individuals who were more different from each other than Reagan and Lennon, yet at least that night they got along famously. It was a charming account.
    YouTube - John Lennon on Monday Night Football 12/9/1974

30 years ago today I was more worried about what was going to happen after the Russians had just moved their tanks up along the entire Iron Curtain. There was no internet back then, and it didn't even make the news, but it happened and there was a heck of a chess game going on between Russia and the United States. Lennon was an afterthought.

Reagan won, Game, Set, Match.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I saw that game and was amazed when Lennon showed up. Lennon talked about how American football was similar to rugby in England.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I havent seen this flick about Lennon yet but the reviews on it are good.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810073977/info
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I havent seen this flick about Lennon yet but the reviews on it are good.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810073977/info
    I have seen this. Very good film.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I was 13 years old and living in North Hollywood. A punk fan who had just found out the day before that Darby Crash of the Germs had committed suicide...and then hear about this but it was only something that the older people around me really felt anything strongly about. Everything that punk represented was the opposite of what I thought Lennon did...although after finally discovering their music as I got into my middle teens...I realize he had some punk ethos as well. Rodney Bingenheimer was big in the area in the 60's and 70's with his Glam club....had a show late saturday nights.....I listened to him talk about it....as they spoke with him since he was the only DJ around during the Beatles and the Sunset Strip scene of the 60's.

Turn Off Ads?